Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute from Dundrum Shopping Centre to Gardiner Street

Options
  • 23-08-2016 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Hi, quick query,I have to commute with work for a few days next week from where I live close to Dundrum Shopping centre near Balally Luas Stop to Gardiner Street.

This may be longer term in the future as well....

i drive but not sure if i can get 8am time slot at work to use my car and I know parking is a bit of a nightmare up there etc

I know traffic would be crazy.Is this doable with public transport or will it only be pain and hassle?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions relating to driving and using public transport, thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Depends on which end of Gardiner Street.

For the southern end, LUAS to Harcourt stop, walk across to Camden Street and take the 14 or 15 from there to Busaras or Connolly Station. Also, routes 15a and 15b will take you from Camden Street to Custom House Quay. Alternatively you can walk from St Stephen's Green.

If it's the other end, take a 16 from Camden Street.

Bear in mind that the schools go back next week so traffic will be a lot heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Thanks lxflyer, really appreciate that

How long to each end of Gardiner Street, i know schools are back soon, so looking for approximate if thats ok, (edited as will check myself just if you know off-hand)

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

If you were able to walk from the Luas stop on Stephens green to Gardiner Street then you are looking at 15 to 25 minutes walking depending on which end of Gardiner Street.

Definitely the most reliable way of getting there and probably the quickest..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Could you Luas then Dublin bike?

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    If you were able to walk from the Luas stop on Stephens green to Gardiner Street then you are looking at 15 to 25 minutes walking depending on which end of Gardiner Street.

Definitely the most reliable way of getting there and probably the quickest..

Thanks Seaswimmer didnt think it was only 15-25 minutes, if it was that it doesnt sound too bad, what walking route is best? (again will check myself just not sure of that side of the city, thanks again)

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Could you Luas then Dublin bike?

Cheers Del2005 hadn't thought of that, will check out bike stops near Gardiner Street

There's one right outside the school at the southern end, and another up at the Mountjoy sq end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

With College Green the way it is, getting a bus onwards is unreliable time wise. Walking from the Green is best for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I'd second the luas and Dublin bike option. The first day though leave in PLENTY of time so you can scope out how many bikes are available at the station near luas stops as they can be a nightmare in the morning and you might end up walking. There shouldn't be an issue getting a bike to return in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Driving won't be possible, you would be over an hour, not to mention parking. luas for 15 mins and walk for 20 mins will be your best bet. With any luck this time next year you'll be able to get the luas direct to O'Connell St and walk across in 5 mins.

• Advertisement

Thanks really appreciate this, will check it out, its definitely something to work with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭SteM

If you're considering the Dublin Bike option from St. Stephens Green then install the app on your phone. I'll tell you how many bikes and empty slots are available at at your chosen station.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If you're travelling at rush hour, you can cut through Trinity walking.
    Down Dawson st, in the Douglas Hyde Gallery entrance, across Fellows and Library square, right and left will bring you to Pearse st near the Tara st junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Another option to consider is the 44 bus. This passes through your area at Dundrum Shopping Centre and will leave you at D'orset Street at the junction of Upper Gardiner Street.
    If you're aiming to be in work for 8am the first bus from Enniskerry will have you there in time, it passes through Dundrum around 7am.

Thanks again, really appreciate the advice guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

14 bus direct from Dundrum to Busaras (close to bottom of Gardiner St).

Best option, seat all the way, no fuss.

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Conway635 wrote:
    14 bus direct from Dundrum to Busaras (close to bottom of Gardiner St).

I took that bus home the other week to test it, off peak times from bus Arse to Dundrum bridge and it still took over an hour, great scenic route by all means but balls of a time. 44 or 61 from beyond the Topas on Dundrum road is the best option to Gardiner street imao, Ranelagh is always a bottleneck with the three schools (gonzaga, sandford & Muckross) so close to each other, great for the yummy mummy's inspection all the same.. B)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Also happy to report that the 44 got a significant efficiency check when the good Minister had to commute to the office before the olympics when his electric car broke down the other week Lol

Advertisement