Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail seat reservations

Options
  • 23-08-2016 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭

Why is it so bloody hard for irish rail to start allowing passengers to use e-tickets, print outs or even just a code as tickets instead of having to queue up at the ticket machints in order to get your reservation.

Ticket barriers need to be removed in Connolly and Hueston as they are onlying suitable on commuter services and not intercity trains.

Seat reservations should be mandatory on Intercity services to stop the scrabble for seats name displays are un-nessecary as all that is needed is seat numbers.

These things are fairly simple things for IE to introduce and most of these are used all around Europe for at least the last five or six years someone seriously needs to introduce IE to the 21st century. I was on a train in Italy there recently and I was one of the few people who actually had a paper ticket and that's considered to be a backward country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Hardly much queues at the ticket machines to be honest and when there is, it goes quick enough . It's only an issue if you arrive within a few minutes of departure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Hardly much queues at the ticket machines to be honest and when there is, it goes quick enough . It's only an issue if you arrive within a few minutes of departure.

Its unnessecary hassle it's not that hard surely to use e tickets or print outs nearly every long distance provider allows the use of these except irish rail you should even get a discount for using these

Whats the hassle? you enter your reservation number into a ticket machine and it gives you the ticket. It's far from a hassle. It's cheaper as well as you don't be using your own paper.

Whats the hassle? you enter your reservation number into a ticket machine and it gives you the ticket. It's far from a hassle. It's cheaper as well as you don't be using your own paper.

The hassle of using a ticket when you can just use an e-ticket on your phone which is easier for you as you show 5mins before your train leaves and show your e-ticket to the guard standard practice on the continent. Paper aren't far from a thinges of the past on most long distance transport except irish rail. Again as I said most continental train companies, most of the bus companies and most airlines use them. It's also save IE money as they have to print as many tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

My daughter and her friends reserved seats on a train to Galway. When they got on, a bunch of freeloading pensioners had taken the seats - which had a reserved indicator - and refused to move. The train guard refused to get involved.

I've travelled on trains in the UK and that behaviour is not countenanced. However, I personally experienced the same ignorant behaviour on a train in Italy. And I had paid extra to reserve the seat.

The point of my post is that seat allocation and use of e-tickets are no guarantee of getting your seat.

see the story in todays Independent about a trip for special needs children. IR is a joke of an organisation. However, the other passengers were obviously ignorant oafs.

Stopping now, before I burst an artery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Stephen15 wrote:
    The hassle of using a ticket when you can just use an e-ticket on your phone which is easier for you as you show 5mins before your train leaves and show your e-ticket to the guard standard practice on the continent. Paper aren't far from a thinges of the past on most long distance transport except irish rail. Again as I said most continental train companies, most of the bus companies and most airlines use them. It's also save IE money as they have to print as many tickets.

You'd need either all turnstiles to be manned, or suffer long queues, or have every turnstile retrofitted with optical readers like in airports. In all stations.

You'd need either all turnstiles to be manned, or suffer long queues, or have every turnstile retrofitted with optical readers like in airports. In all stations.

That's why I suggest removing ticket barriers alltogether if there was ano inpector on all trains there wouldn't be a need for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Stephen15 wrote: »

All it takes is for you to a flat battery and you are flummoxed come a ticket inspection. And don't forget the huge amount of phone users who don't use smartphones or those who use one but don't have them data enabled.

Or we could stick with the current system which actually works really well and that allows you to pick up a ticket even in the event of you not having a working phone :)

My daughter and her friends reserved seats on a train to Galway. When they got on, a bunch of freeloading pensioners had taken the seats - which had a reserved indicator - and refused to move. The train guard refused to get involved.

I've travelled on trains in the UK and that behaviour is not countenanced. However, I personally experienced the same ignorant behaviour on a train in Italy. And I had paid extra to reserve the seat.

That's why seat reservations should be a requirement on intercity trains even for oaps.

And your battery dies at the wrong moment and stand there watching your train pull away while you argue with the staff for not letting you on.

• Advertisement

And your battery dies at the wrong moment and stand there watching your train pull away while you argue with the staff for not letting you on.

And that's why you make sure you is charged up before using the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Nothing worse than sitting in a seat knowing you'll have to vacate in Thurles. I hate reservations. Should be scrapped

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Nothing worse than sitting in a seat knowing you'll have to vacate in Thurles. I hate reservations. Should be scrapped

That's why I suggest making them mandatory on intercity services to avoid that misery every ticket sold should a reservation on it and if all the seats are full then tough you'll to wait for the next train or go by bus. No reservation no train.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

The point of my post is that seat allocation and use of e-tickets are no guarantee of getting your seat.

see the story in todays Independent about a trip for special needs children. IR is a joke of an organisation. However, the other passengers were obviously ignorant oafs.

Stopping now, before I burst an artery.

Those pensioners are no more "freeloading " than you when you go to the emergency room , went to primary school, secondary school, got clothes and books bought with children's allowance, got vaccinations, or when your daughter took a ticket that was heavily subsidised by the state instead of paying the full economic cost of the ticket.

I'm sure you won't be turning down your medical card for fear of freeloading when your age groups phase in is reached as we move to universal healthcare. Some things are funded by taxes rather than fees at point of use, and those pensioners paid 40+ years of taxes with many still paying them. Free Travel costs 0.16% of the taxes you pay, it's really not a big deal.

People sitting in reserved seats is a longstanding problem on Irish Rail, the solutions to either make all intercity reserved or issue everyone a seat number with their ticket OR do it like Virgin where there are reserved and unreserved carriages.

Translink in the north have eTickets so I see no reason why IE can't have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

That's why I suggest making them mandatory on intercity services to avoid that misery every ticket sold should a reservation on it and if all the seats are full then tough you'll to wait for the next train or go by bus. No reservation no train.

One of the last remaining advantages that Irish railways still have over other methods of transport is being able to turn up and get on regardless - even if you have stand in the toilet all the way to Tralee. Try getting into a full car/bus or plane. Making all inter-city trains 'reservation only' would be a very backward step and CIE/IE have missed a trick here.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    One of the last remaining advantages that Irish railways still have over other methods of transport is being able to turn up and get on regardless - even if you have stand in the toilet all the way to Tralee. Try getting into a full car/bus or plane. Making all inter-city trains 'reservation only' would be a very backward step and CIE/IE have missed a trick here.

Hardly an advantage I fail to see how having to stand in the toilet is an advantage intercity trains not be looking like the dart or the luas at rush hour everyone should have a seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    Those pensioners are no more "freeloading " than you when you go to the emergency room , went to primary school, secondary school, got clothes and books bought with children's allowance, got vaccinations, or when your daughter took a ticket that was heavily subsidised by the state instead of paying the full economic cost of the ticket.

I'm sure you won't be turning down your medical card for fear of freeloading when your age groups phase in is reached as we move to universal healthcare. Some things are funded by taxes rather than fees at point of use, and those pensioners paid 40+ years of taxes with many still paying them. Free Travel costs 0.16% of the taxes you pay, it's really not a big deal.

People sitting in reserved seats is a longstanding problem on Irish Rail, the solutions to either make all intercity reserved or issue everyone a seat number with their ticket OR do it like Virgin where there are reserved and unreserved carriages.

My sentiments exactly! I don't agree that the pensioners should have taken reserved seats but calling them freeloaders is a bit much!

Hardly an advantage I fail to see how having to stand in the toilet is an advantage intercity trains not be looking like the dart or the luas at rush hour everyone should have a seat.

You're right, much better to be left at the station for the next train. :rolleyes:

You're right, much better to be left at the station for the next train. :rolleyes:

Which increases the argument for longer trains

Which increases the argument for longer trains

This is an old argument that is always wheeled out when overcrowding is discussed, but the plain fact is that there's a limited amount of rolling stock and you can't magic up carriages at the drop of a hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    My sentiments exactly! I don't agree that the pensioners should have taken reserved seats but calling them freeloaders is a bit much!

You're right guys. I typed in the heat of the moment, and my own mother and mother in law are both entitled to free travel, and of course I wouldn't describe them as freeloaders. Nor should I have used it here.

It was more their sense of entitlement and disparaging language that was used to my daughter and their friends, during the brief exchange, that annoyed me. I suppose I would feel that they should have been happy enough to have free seats without taking those allocated to other people.

Whenever I hear someone giving out about CJ Haughey, I always respond "Well at least he gave the pensioners free travel!"

I'm in my sixties, and approaching eligibility for FT etc, and will believe I am entitled to them. But I'll be very thankful for these concessions , and won't feel the need to 'take a mile" when I've been given a yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

This is an old argument that is always wheeled out when overcrowding is discussed, but the plain fact is that there's a limited amount of rolling stock and you can't magic up carriages at the drop of a hat.

in general you are correct. however do note IE'S rolling stock purchasing and usage choices, which escalate the issue into something that is 100 times more of a problem then it needs to be.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Well we still have plenty of mk3s sitting around down at northwall which could easily and cost effectively renovate or have they all been sold off to Belmond.

Well we still have plenty of mk3s sitting around down at northwall which could easily and cost effectively renovate or have they all been sold off to Belmond.
    only 10 were sold to them. a couple more have gone to moyasta, a couple to inchicore for one of the maintenence trains, and the rest scrapped.

only 10 were sold to them. a couple more have gone to moyasta, a couple to inchicore for one of the maintenence trains, and the rest scrapped.

Why weren't they kept was it cheaper to buy new trains then to restore and maintain them. How come they could renovate the 81k Darts which are older.

Why weren't they kept was it cheaper to buy new trains then to restore and maintain them. How come they could renovate the 81k Darts which are older.

depending on who you talk to they're are many differing reasons. they did need new units both for the lesser long distance services and maybe for off peak but really they needed the mk3 as well, the pushpull sets at least. anyway we are where we are. anyway if they could get all mk4 and the 2700s back into service and grow the business maybe the issue could be eased but probably more chance of me being taoiseach.

Why don't you ask Belmond - they obviously thought the Mk IIIs were worth refurbishing for their luxury train. CIE is a financial black hole and because everybody's business is nobody's business waste is the order of the day, and has been since nationalisation in 1950.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Deu

Free Travel costs 0.16% of the taxes you pay, it's really not a big deal.

I thought the money the government pays for free travel doesn't cover the cost to provide it, which means everyone using it and paying has to pay more?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

You make some very good points. I am a regular commuter on intercity trains. OAPs make full use of their free train travel and fair play to them. Indeed many of the pensioners look fitter and healthier than the exhausted commuters who travel day in day out on crowded trains to demanding jobs. They're certainly chirpier on morning trains than the poor commuters trying to work or sleep - it's amazing how many of these pensioners are early risers and travel on morning commuter trains. If the train is crowded most commuters are happy to let pensioners have their seats (even if said commuters pay thousands per year to commute by train). However it is not fair for anyone to sit in reserved seats, pensioners included.
    Deu wrote: »
    I thought the money the government pays for free travel doesn't cover the cost to provide it, which means everyone using it and paying has to pay more?

I thought that too. Many commuters pay upwards of Euro3,000 for an annual commuter ticket. That doesn't take Taxsaver into account but it's still a hefty chunk out of the salary. I travel on the Waterford line and in the summer 60% or more of the train seats can be taken up by pensioners alone by the time it gets to Athy, Kildare or Newbridge in the mornings. The more able pensioners seem to travel by train because some of the platforms are a considerable distance from Luas, buses, taxis etc.

• Advertisement

I don't mind free travel on short distance buses in cities etc. but I think that on long distance intercity trains they should have to pay a discounted fare. A thing that annoys about IE is that they make no ticketing distinctions between commuter, dart and intercity for example if your travelling between Dublin and Drogheda it should be cheaper to go on a stopping service than a no-stop enterprise or the freeloading dart passengers on the Rosslare train needs to be stopped.

Advertisement