Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the plastic "cup" in my shower drain?

Options
  • 18-07-2019 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all, I'm after making a hames of my shower drain trying to get hair out of it. The drain cover is glued on, no removing it, underneath there's a gasket and an open semi-circle (the "cup"). Initially it was round side up, covered in hair, but after my shenanigans both the gasket and cup came loose. I managed to shove the gasket back into place (good enough?) but the cup... I can't get it to go back to how it was. It's has protruding edges around it's rim which are stopping me from making it go back to round side up. It's either halfway there or flips to be open side up. My question is what the f**k is this devilish cup? I've spent the better part of an hour trying to flip it with a pair of tweezers through a 1cm opening in the drain cover and I feel completely defeated. Is it necessary? Can I leave it open side up? Covered in sweat and need a shower at this stage but I don't want to ruin anything before I know what it is. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

When you push the “cup” in you need to turn it so it clicks into position. Take a look at the outside of the “cup” and where it fits in. Push it in gently as you turn it .

It traps hair etc. in the bottom while allowing the water out to the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BitObother

Cerco wrote: »
    When you push the “cup” in you need to turn it so it clicks into position. Take a look at the outside of the “cup” and where it fits in. Push it in gently as you turn it .

It traps hair etc. in the bottom while allowing the water out to the drain.

Can't get at it with my hands, the drain cover is glued/cemented in place with very small openings. Which way is it supposed to be oriented, open side up where it fills up with water, or round side up? If you could let me know that would be a big help. At the moment its open side up, not sure if thats correct. Cheers

Advertisement