Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did they get away with that?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

The Labyrinth with David Bowie and Jennifer Connolly

I just thought it was a princess kind of story with puppets but its actually a fairly dark movie

Shes only meant to be about 15 and there is a hint of romance between her and the much older david bowie. You can see that in the songs and the play they reenact in the movie. they hint that david bowie is a man that is dating her mam and the whole thing is a fantasy of her dealing with him pursuing and seducing her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

A brilliant lyric. The N word? Don't make me puke. Take things in context. I can tell you of many black singers that specify that word (white people are not allowed to use it ........ refer to PC Brigade etc). Do you mean to say that the people who sang along with these lyrics in olden days were racist? Or ignorant?

It always should be about context, but that's not how it works out.

This is a good example of how words can be misinterpreted by the PC Brigade and actual racists, spoiling the enjoyment of the music/art/entertainment for the majority.

"If there's one thing I would change, it's the title," says Smith, sounding a little weary. "I wrote it when I was still in school and I had no idea that anyone would ever listen to it other than my immediate school friends.

"One of the themes of the song is that everyone's existence is pretty much the same. Everyone lives, everyone dies, our existences are the same. It's as far from a racist song as you can write. It seems though that no one can get past the title and that's incredibly frustrating.

"The fact is it's based on a book that's set in France and deals with the problems of the Algerians, so it was only geographical reasons why it was an Arab and not anyone else."

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Anneka Rice and her treasure hunt camel toe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Anneka Rice and her treasure hunt camel toe.

Wow! :pac:

I wasn't expecting the end of that sentence, I thought it was going to be about the camera man having the camera trained on her arse throughout the whole thing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Rolf Harris (remember him) covered that too. We really do need a sick in my mouth icon.

I'm not surprised considering he sang about two little boys and tying a Kangaroo down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

pavb2 wrote: »
    Reminds me of a guy at school just as punk hit the streets, his parents were very middle class, conservative and he knew they wouldn't approve of Him purchasing it so he bought the album Never Mind the B*****ks by the Sex Pistols and mailed it to himself saying he'd won it in a radio phone in competition.

Their single God save the queen was banned not sure how many others were.

Their song "bodies" off the same album is one of the most powerful songs ever written and rarely gets a mention...about Pauline and her foetus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Any others spring to mind?
    Summer of sixty nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Not quite. I caught a C4 prog a few weeks back. Alright in the 70's or some such. The usual Benny Hill, Dick Emery - Boobs and Bums but innocuous enough.

Then there was a comedy programme in the Doctor at Large series. Arthur Lowe was in it and a couple of younger actors. The Doctors had to pay a periodic visit to a girls school. The "joke" was that Arthur Lowe was too old to keep up with all the nubile young girls. There were other "jokes" that just left me open-mouthed. This was the 70's when most people left school at 16.

This was mainstream family comedy. You could probably still catch it on C4.
    I saw this exact episode on ITV3 a few weeks ago. The main character managed to repulse the advances of the girls and ended up swapping the position with his sleazy mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I saw this exact episode on ITV3 a few weeks ago. The main character managed to repulse the advances of the girls and ended up swapping the position with his sleazy mate.

Yes - I was just gobsmacked about how that was ever funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Yeah I looked it up after reading your post, on wiki first and I didnt recognise it so I assumed it must be a b-side or something :o I must have heard it dozens of times and never picked out anything beyond the chorus. This happened to me recently too with Milow's Technology, just heard on a radio it in the background and thought it sounded like a nice pleasant song, I thought the chorus was 'I'm tired of using technology, why dont you sit down and talk with me'

Ha, my dad is in his 50's and sings a bit, usually Irish songs. He'd heard Lloyd 'Dedication to my ex" but only the clean version and was walking around singing it for a few days before someone mentioned that they were surprised he'd be singing about missing some wan's "pussy."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    You mean back in the days where comedies were actually classic gold, werent afraid of offending someone or group of people because they just told it as it was and tbh wasnt such a nanny state - lets take care of anyone who wants to come into this country whatever it takes just because - kind of country/world?!

You could watch all the tv shows etc mentioned now and still find them funny, classics! :)
    Lol. Richard Littlejohn is on Boards.

A brilliant lyric. The N word? Don't make me puke. Take things in context. I can tell you of many black singers that specify that word (white people are not allowed to use it ........ refer to PC Brigade etc). Do you mean to say that the people who sang along with these lyrics in olden days were racist? Or ignorant?
    He just means he's surprised some dopes havent kicked up more of a fuss about that word in the song.

And?:confused:
    You know what they mean surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I love the "Carry On" movies, except for the whole dynamic between Barbara Windsor and Sid James. How much older was he? Just creeps me out every time *shudder*...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

efb wrote: »
    Innuendo - that's why
    +1, with the relax song it is not overly blatant. So if someone did want to ban something with innuendo they would have to openly explain what they thought the song was about, and someone else could say "you dirty minded bastard, nobody else thinks that"

rubadub wrote: »
    +1, with the relax song it is not overly blatant. So if someone did want to ban something with innuendo they would have to openly explain what they thought the song was about, and someone else could say "you dirty minded bastard, nobody else thinks that"
    That's what Frankie Goes To Hollywood actually said. That the problem was with the BBC reading into things too much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Ruu wrote: »
    Fawlty Towers had loads of them, the thick Irish builder. The Major using the n word a few times as well. :)

Fawlty towers has that scene with Basil recoiling from the black doctor in the corridor as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

That programme also showed Depeche Mode on children's Saturday morning television doing 'Master And Servant, about bondage and sadomasochism. When they finished, the presenter even commented that it probably wasn't appropriate for that time of the day. :D

I recall Slash from GNR being interviewed by Cat Deeley on the Ant/Dec Saturday morning show. Poor Slash didn't know what show he was on, and ended up regaling her with a story about groupies and blowjobs - leading to humblest apologies from Ant/Dec after the break.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭custard gannet

Come Together by The Beatles.

What in the fuuck is "come together right now, over me" all about?!?:confused:

I saw this on the music channels for the first time in a good few years the other day. Considering how MTV are without a doubt the most censor loving conformists anywhere in media, to the extent of showing all live events pre recorded and editing out words in songs as innocuous as "god damn" and "crap", I don't quite get how the amount of drug references in this video got past them

I also don't think Eminem would get away with the same type of lyrics he was putting out in 99/ 2000. While the gay rights crowd protested about it back then, gay rights really wasn't remotely a mainstream cause like it is now so there was definitely more creative licence.

Advertisement