Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Stain in living room above stove

• 24-01-2021 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Good Morning, I have a wood burning stove in my living room which was installed over 2 years ago. Ive had no problems with it thus far. Last night i noticed the development of a black oily substance on the chimney stack above the stove and outside of the area that was opened up to fit the stove. This is the first time this has appeared and im pretty sure it wasnt there yesterday before i lit the stove. Im currently getting my house rewired which means the place is covered in dust and theres been a lot of drilling and movement of floorboards in the last few days. Last night was the first time i lit the stove since the work began.

Can anyone please advise what the issue here is, how do i clean it and how do i prevent it from happening again?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Avfcsc2 wrote: »
    Good Morning, I have a wood burning stove in my living room which was installed over 2 years ago. Ive had no problems with it thus far. Last night i noticed the development of a black oily substance on the chimney stack above the stove and outside of the area that was opened up to fit the stove. This is the first time this has appeared and im pretty sure it wasnt there yesterday before i lit the stove. Im currently getting my house rewired which means the place is covered in dust and theres been a lot of drilling and movement of floorboards in the last few days. Last night was the first time i lit the stove since the work began.

Can anyone please advise what the issue here is, how do i clean it and how do i prevent it from happening again?

Many thanks

Is it an old chimney/old house?
    It may be creosote seeping through from a poorly constructed or old chimney which can be fixed by getting it lined with a flexi flue

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Avfcsc2

Thank you, yes it is an old house, approx 50 years old. When the stove was installed the chimney was lined with a flexi flue for it. I find it strange that it happened all of a sudden, if creosote was seeping through wouldnt this seep through slowly and not after one fire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

If it is lined then its not creosote..If it comes back again,some chimney sweeps have cameras so it can be examined to make sure the liner is not damaged

Advertisement