Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stained Glass Christmas Decorations Kits

Options
  • 18-11-2020 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm trying to source some stained glass DIY sets for making xmas decorations (for kids).

Something like this
    https://www.inspire-create.com/store/makit-bakit-stocking-w-candy-canes-ornament-kit/

These seem to be easy to get from USA but not easy to find in Ireland (or UK sites).

Most of the sets nowadays use glass colouring pens but I'm looking for the sets that you use small beads that melt in the oven to form the stained glass.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I remember those very well, the stench of melting plastic used to stink up the oven and the whole kitchen, but the effect was impressive. Aside from the usual Arts and Crafts shops (that are probably closed at the moment), I can't think of much else.

However, you can make the decorations using biscuit/pie crust for the frames and crushed boiled sweets for the "glass". This type of thing, I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Thanks for the reply. I created the stained glass decorations when I was in primary school and my parents found the ones I made and still use them. They are really nice actually.

Thanks for the biscuit ideas.

I searched a few of the arts and crafts sites but they only have the painted glass option or cutting out coloured sheets of thin plastic.

I found a few of them on eBay but they are all in USA and shipping is prohibitive.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'd say it might very well be because of the fumes and Health and Safety regulations in the EU. I'll have another look, I'll let you know if I find anything else.

This might also help. Apparently all you need are "pony beads", cookie cutters and a baking sheet.
    https://growinghealthykids.co.uk/how-to-make-suncatchers-with-pony-beads/

• Advertisement

Darn. I wanted to find out what on earth these were called when I was little and I ended up spending the afternoon dowd rabbit holes trying to find them (the original ones I had, I mean). No joy. I did find these, though.

https://www.opitec.it/de/Basics/Colouraplast-Playmais/Colouraplast-/Colouraplast-Kindergarten-und-Schulset-3000-g.html

Closer than the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭callee

This is the search term you need "Make it and Bake it Kit Stained Glass Kit"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

callee wrote: »
    This is the search term you need "Make it and Bake it Kit Stained Glass Kit"

These are the closest match to what I am looking for.

The Coloraplast beads seem like a good option for getting in Europe.

Just need to find the templates / decoration blanks to go with them now.

These are the tricky part now.

Thanks for all replies so far - its a great help.

Will keep you posted if/when I get sorted

Advertisement