Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Thanks for replying. I asked about just one battery and was quoted 500 euro less. I will ask about a 5kw inverter.

Cheers
    John

They're taking the pis$ valuing the second battery at €500.

Go back and ask them to add in a 3rd battery for €500 more and watch them change their tune...

Deagol wrote: »
    Yeah - it seems like enough people are willing to pay the high prices and they are getting away with it. I was going to install a 4kwh system but I'm getting silly prices quoted so I think i'll drop the idea and spend the money on something else.

Just get an indie installer they're much better value. Preferably one that's been established since ~2015 or earlier.

If they can't beat €1.20 per watt installed you can advise them what to do with their headwear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Hi all,
    Wondering what ye all think about this quote, incl. Vat not including the grant.

12 panels 340watt 4.2kw ja solar
    3.6 solis inverter
    2by 2 .4 batteries 4.8
    Eddie water diverter
    wi fi dongle
    price 10000 euro. 7k with grant.

I asked how much for an extra 2 panels, quoted 500€.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers,
    John

Lose the second battery and ask for 4 more panels instead. Ask for a larger inverter - there really isn't much price difference between the 3.6 and 5 inverters. Also do you need the Eddi? Ask if they will knock 450 off for the Eddi.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭JJ O Malley

garo wrote: »
    Lose the second battery and ask for 4 more panels instead. Ask for a larger inverter - there really isn't much price difference between the 3.6 and 5 inverters. Also do you need the Eddi? Ask if they will knock 450 off for the Eddi.

Thanks for the response. As we have 5 kids, hot water will be in demand so I just assumed the Eddi was a good idea? Can you elaborate please? Agreed 4 panels would be more beneficial than the second battery, if power can be sold back to the grid at a reasonable rate.

I'll push for more panels, less battery and a larger inverter. Thanks alot.

One more question, i think i read that the grant is being extended from today's budget? Is this correct? If so it takes some pressure off making a decision, which would allow me some time to save a few quid. Hopefully someone can confirm.

Cheers
    John

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Thanks for the response. As we have 5 kids, hot water will be in demand so I just assumed the Eddi was a good idea?

Depends, how is your water currently heated. To heat water by oil/gas, its about 5c/kwh comparable.

If your using an immersion to heat the water, eddi is a no brainer, yes.

If you cant heat the water without heating the house will skew it towards having the eddi.

Example, Parents got an iboost, (same thing as an eddi) because in the summer they would light/maintain a fire to keep the water hot. with the hot water divert they dont have to do that.

As long as you have a reason to get it is important, not just because its the done thing.

Arguably you could go Eddi or battery. Both is a little ambitious unlikely you'll utilise them together unless it's very sunny. I see people getting Eddi + Harvi + battery with EV and have to question how much excess are they really expecting?

€500 for two extra panels?

You know they're buying them for about €75 each and the scaffolding is already up...maybe oh €50 of additional hardware to mount them and and extra hour being extremely generous.

graememk wrote: »
    Depends, how is your water currently heated. To heat water by oil/gas, its about 5c/kwh comparable.

If your using an immersion to heat the water, eddi is a no brainer, yes.

If you cant heat the water without heating the house will skew it towards having the eddi.

Example, Parents got an iboost, (same thing as an eddi) because in the summer they would light/maintain a fire to keep the water hot. with the hot water divert they dont have to do that.

As long as you have a reason to get it is important, not just because its the done thing.

We generally use oil to heat the water but if we had the eddi then would switch to the immersion. I was hoping this would reduce our oil consumption by maybe 500 litres per year? That would be 1/5 of our annual oil consumption. Insulation work is on the list too!!

Cheers,
    John

an iboost, (same thing as an eddi)

Comparing a racehorse to a donkey there G.

Eddi is PWM.
    iboost is TRIAC.

Eddi is PWM.
    iboost is TRIAC.

Which is the racehorse? I've got a bit to learn!

Cheers
    John

Eddi is PWM.
    iboost is TRIAC.

Lol, Donkey moves slow but still can get there. water is hot :D (well these days with the stove stealing heat from the tank, it never gets past 60c)

Loss wise, is there much difference, I am measuring whats going into the iboost, but how much of that is actually going into the water.

Is the price difference worth the difference in efficiency?

You'd be proud, got my dads solar install in for 71c/Wp - no grant, steel roof, with the donkey ;) , I did spend the day being the gofer for a local installer, and had the cables in waiting for him.

• Advertisement

Oh sorry! Was I speaking in hieroglyphics again?

PWM. Pulse width modulation is the racehorse. No harmonics, no flickering lights, no premature appliance expiry from transient digestion.

Running an iBoost is like living beside a metal fabricators (welders creating dips and surges all day long).

Cheap diverters cost you more in the long run. They get away with it because only nerds like me put oscilloscopes on their houses'.

Who's gonna blame the diverter for the telly dying if you weren't an anorak?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭championc

You'd be proud, got my dads solar install in for 71c/Wp - no grant, steel roof, with the donkey ;) , I did spend the day being the gofer for a local installer

And I bet the installer still got a decent payment for his days work. Sounds like some of these others are planning retirement to the Carribean !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,719 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

championc wrote: »
    And I bet the installer still got a decent payment for his days work. Sounds like some of these others are planning retirement to the Carribean !!!

Got a Polish lad over at the house during the week. To replace 4 panels with slightly larger ones and to install 2 new panels with me supplying all the parts, he was looking for €1000 for his time on the roof. Probably him and a buddy about 2 hours in total if they are very slow. That's €250 per hour of labour :rolleyes:

Nice guy but that's ridiculous. This is his ad - don't bother calling or sending a message. And no, he was not going to put any scaffolding up and he planned to access the roof from an attic window

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Solar PV installation with a peak output of 2.56 KWH.

8 Pcs of Amerisolar 320 Watt Black Solar PV panels with a efficiency of 18.30%. total peak output of 2.56 KW. With an estimated output of 2,278 KW hrs per year.
    Solis 2.5 -4G …2.5 KW Mini single string inverter, with an efficiency of 98%
    20 amp AC isolating switch.
    30 Amp DC Lockable isolating switch.
    Solar PV cables and connectors.
    K2 Roof mounting system for a flat Tiled roof.
    PROJOY rapid shut down switch. ( Fire man’s switch)
    KWH meter for recording total electricity generated.
    Solis on line wi-fi based monitoring unit.

€3400 plus vat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 rosman2603

8 Pcs of Amerisolar 320 Watt Black Solar PV panels with a efficiency of 18.30%. total peak output of 2.56 KW. With an estimated output of 2,278 KW hrs per year.

€3400 plus vat

Are you buying or selling ?

rosman2603 wrote: »
    Are you buying or selling ?

Buying

Before or after grant? If you take the 1800 off for grant it is an excellent price. If price is after grant, this is expensive.

garo wrote: »
    Before or after grant? If you take the 1800 off for grant it is an excellent price. If price is after grant, this is expensive.

"Estimated SEAI grant. Euros 1800."

Just need to clarify 100% that it is before grant.

Awaiting BER as I had insulation carried out and need the grant money from that first. BER Assessor will only have to add the pv and upload a new survey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Has anyone figured out grants etc with this new budget?

• Advertisement

I don't think there has been any change in the grants

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

A few news reports said EUR 300m has been added to top up grants for heat pumps, solar etc.

Note per the SEAI guidelines, you're required to get the grant approval before commencing works, and from the point you get approval you have 8 months to complete the works.
    Source: https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-energy-grants/solar-electricity-grant/Solar-PV-Scheme-Guide.pdf

Imagine what the Dutch could do with that!

Caspero wrote: »
    A few news reports said EUR 300m has been added to top up grants for heat pumps, solar etc.

Note per the SEAI guidelines, you're required to get the grant approval before commencing works, and from the point you get approval you have 8 months to complete the works.
    Source: https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-energy-grants/solar-electricity-grant/Solar-PV-Scheme-Guide.pdf

Thanks, so it's clear that grants are not ending at the end of ther year as I've heard from a few sources.

Cheers
    John

€3400 plus vat
    Would there be any sense in going for a hybrid inverter now to ease upgrade to battery in a few years?

Jobs for the boys!

Ahem!...what?!...am...not especially...they're way more expensive you could spend it on solar instead and that'd be working for you (or at least contributing to the network). Do hybrids work without a battery?

• Advertisement

Jobs for the boys!

Ahem!...what?!...am...not especially...they're way more expensive you could spend it on solar instead and that'd be working for you (or at least contributing to the network). Do hybrids work without a battery?
    One of the solar companies (a well advertised company) gave me a price last week with a hybrid inverter and told me that was the way to go if I intended installing a battery down the road.

Would there be any sense in going for a hybrid inverter now to ease upgrade to battery in a few years?

No. Inverters have a finite life and hopefully we’ll have a FIT by the time you are ready to upgrade.

2000 net for a 2.5 kW system is one of the best per W price I have seen. You’ll have a relatively quick payback with the system.

Has anyone managed to get an optimal system for both spec and price?

If not, could I have some suggestions. My brain is addled at this stage :)

I'm rural with an East West aspect bungalow.
    I've oil central heating to heat rads and water. I've an enclosed stove to heat the sitting room.

I had looked at systems a few years ago but cost was a factor in holding off. I was looking at 16 panels, 6kw batteries etc... Way over spec for what I probably need.

Family of 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Has anyone managed to get an optimal system for both spec and price?

If not, could I have some suggestions. My brain is addled at this stage :)

I'm rural with an East West aspect bungalow.
    I've oil central heating to heat rads and water. I've an enclosed stove to heat the sitting room.

I had looked at systems a few years ago but cost was a factor in holding off. I was looking at 16 panels, 6kw batteries etc... Way over spec for what I probably need.

Family of 4.

That's actually what I have, and similar house. Family of 4, would fir d heating and hot water, went for a 6kwp.system with 5kwh battery and hit water diverter.

Has eliminated need for.hrsting the water with the oil burner during the summer months, and we pretty.much use the solar pv via the diverter to heat our hit water during the summer

Our monthly bills used to be 130pm on level pay, prob averaging now at about 60, and that doesn't include the savings of.nit using oil in the summer for the hot water

My system is 18panels south facing

Just some figures for 2020 so far (and it's not been a great year for production IMHO, last year was better)

Generated 5000kwh
    Consumed 7000kwh
    Imported 3000kwh
    Exported 840kwh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

"Estimated SEAI grant. Euros 1800."

Just need to clarify 100% that it is before grant.

Awaiting BER as I had insulation carried out and need the grant money from that first. BER Assessor will only have to add the pv and upload a new survey.

Can you pm me the installer if that's 3,400 less the grant

That's actually what I have, and similar house. Family of 4, would fir d heating and hot water, went for a 6kwp.system with 5kwh battery and hit water diverter.

Has eliminated need for.hrsting the water with the oil burner during the summer months, and we pretty.much use the solar pv via the diverter to heat our hit water during the summer

Our monthly bills used to be 130pm on level pay, prob averaging now at about 60, and that doesn't include the savings of.nit using oil in the summer for the hot water

My system is 18panels south facing

If I remember correctly, you were an early adopter. (2 years) if memory is right. In reading through this latest thread, it doesn't seem to make sense to get batteries. How much time/"equipment do you get off the batteries at night?

€3400 plus vat

Hi there. Price seems great. Could you please send me on the company's details?

Thanks
    John

How much time/"equipment do you get off the batteries at night?

I'm using the house as a test load. 10kWh after losses will almost last a day. Dual systems synchronised and an AC coupled solar array, prohibitively expensive for that application.

I'm using the house as a test load. 10kWh after losses will almost last a day. Dual systems synchronised and an AC coupled solar array, prohibitively expensive for that application.

That sounds about right :D

On another note:

Am I right in thinking that on the last thread it was agreed we could mention who we went with for solar.

I know there was a ban on mentioning who was quoting but once the deal was done and installed I thought they could be mentioned..

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Hi there. Price seems great. Could you please send me on the company's details?

Thanks
    John

Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Scoopsire

Sent[/QUOT

Could you share with me too please?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Am I right in thinking that on the last thread it was agreed we could mention who we went with for solar.

I know there was a ban on mentioning who was quoting but once the deal was done and installed I thought they could be mentioned..

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

I've asked this too, since myself and rx8 have sent about 40 PMs each to people asking who installed ours.

I see other threads in this forum naming companies. I've reported posts a few times in order to ask Mods for a clear ruling. They don't reply.

Scoopsire wrote: »
    Sent[/QUOT

Could you share with me too please?

Thanks!

Sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,719 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I've asked this too, since myself and rx8 have sent about 40 PMs each to people asking who installed ours.

I see other threads in this forum naming companies. I've reported posts a few times in order to ask Mods for a clear ruling. They don't reply.

Same. It seems there is pretty much no moderation of this forum.

One time, a few years ago, I PMd a moderator with the specific request if I could mention a company I had a positive experience with (just advice given, no money changed hands) and I was allowed. Maybe do that, send a PM to the moderators to ask if you can name the company you and rx8 have given dozens of positive references for (via PM)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭championc

I just emailed BryanF (mod) and he just directed me towards the forum charter - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055251276

drinking_fountains.png

unkel wrote: »
    It seems there is pretty much no moderation of this forum.

You should see the state of motorhomes, campervans & caravans! :rolleyes:

It's an art. The boys here are way beyond my league!

championc wrote: »
    I just emailed BryanF (mod) and he just directed me towards the forum charter - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055251276

Says you can't make recommendations except by pm.

That says nothing about saying you went with x and they charged y for spec z. It's just a fact.

You could always spell it wrong. I think it's wise not to though. Or have the decency to wait 5 years before you recommend it.

You could always spell it wrong. I think it's wise not to though. Or have the decency to wait 5 years before you recommend it.

In other threads people provide links to stuff. Can't see the difference. I must try digging in the old thread.

I know we were allowed and then began posting about next gen if I remember the name correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Scoopsire wrote: »

Sent

Could you send me too please?
    Was it 3,800 less the grant?

You are recommending a service not a product if you make a recommendation that hasn't stood the test of time.
    It's also a potential minefield with self-promotion, spammers and invested parties.

Besides most people here are end users so what are they comparing it to?

I think this product is great because it's the only one I've tried and I don't know what I'm missing.
    I agree with the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Wait until grant is paid out at least - also if customer paid an ex Grant amount it should be mentioned- too many people waiting months because supplier can’t do the paperwork ...once they have your money service slides

• Advertisement

If I remember correctly, you were an early adopter. (2 years) if memory is right. In reading through this latest thread, it doesn't seem to make sense to get batteries. How much time/"equipment do you get off the batteries at night?

The batteries made sense for me primarily because of the grant system at the timex effectively meaning I got an extra 2,400 in grant, so the economics have certainly changed now.

To answer your question in how much, well 5kwh is the answer, and it depends on how that's used. During summer, it would last till near enough 11pm, bit if the oven was used, prob gone by 9.

Today, my battery has lasted until 23:21!!!

During winter, I change to charge the battery at night rate, havnt done that yet, these sunny days are generating a nice amount of power

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement