Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repairing a cracked stove top

• 26-02-2018 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

The top of the multi fuel stove in our house has cracked and is affecting the airflow as well as, presumably, not being the safest thing in the world. It's a cast iron stove and was in the house when we bought it, so is roughly 10-15 years old and is cracked from where the pipe exits the top, right across to the front. I don't have photos available but suffice to say if you pulled each side of the top in opposite directions at once, I'm sure it would crack apart pretty much down the middle and quite easily too.

I have a feeling this type of damage is not easily repairable or at least not reliably. In general is it cheaper / better to just replace the entire stove? In terms of getting spares, I'm not sure of the make and it is relatively old at this stage so I don't know how available they would be or if they even exist.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

If you can identify the make you might be able to buy a replacement top. Take a few Photos and call to some of the Stove sellers and they may be able to identify it for you.
    Alternatively, If you can remove the top you should be able to get it welded. Though a lot of Welders might not be capable of welding Cast Iron. But it can be welded.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

IMG-20210123-145010.jpg

Using this thread for a question regarding a similar problem.
    The back brick of my wood fire stove seems is cracked. Would fire cement be suficient, or replace it with a new stone ?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

IMG-20210123-145010.jpg

Using this thread for a question regarding a similar problem.
    The back brick of my wood fire stove seems is cracked. Would fire cement be suficient, or replace it with a new stone ?

Thanks

New brick is best as the heat escapes between the bricks and can damage to iron of the stove over time

Advertisement