Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malazan Book of the Fallen Series

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Achillles

Am I the only one who found the first book amongst my favourite of the series? Probably my favourite series ever and found the first book ridiculously original. I remember my girlfriend at the time asking me what it was about, all I could say was your guess is as good as mine!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

Achillles wrote: »
    Am I the only one who found the first book amongst my favourite of the series? Probably my favourite series ever and found the first book ridiculously original. I remember my girlfriend at the time asking me what it was about, all I could say was your guess is as good as mine!

The first book has a big impact because it's so refreshingly different.
    It's your first foray into his style of writing and storytelling, and how totally uncompromising he is in terms of what information he conveys to the reader.
    The complete lack of patronising exposition is something no-one else I've read does to the same extent.
    You're just left to keep up and figure it out as you go.

After the first book though, you know that's what you're getting, so you aren't struck by it in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

First book is utterly brilliant but can understand how people might not appreciate it as it's confusing initially, hence the "Carry on till the Chain of Dogs" advice is pretty sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It took me a while to get into the first book tbh. The first 100-200 pages were a real chore for me.

Once you get to the Chain of Dogs, a lot starts coming together. Love the 3rd book, and then when you get to meet Karsa properly in the 4th, it starts getting even better imo

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The Malazan e-book prices are generally too high, but the first two books - "Gardens of the Moon" and "Deadhouse Gates" are currently going for a bargain at $3.68 on Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

ixoy wrote: »
    The Malazan e-book prices are generally too high, but the first two books - "Gardens of the Moon" and "Deadhouse Gates" are currently going for a bargain at $3.68 on Amazon.

You can get them on kindle as bundles, did that with 3&4, 5&6 worked out cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Started reading the first book! Give up after 70pages. Just too hard for me to read. Kinda gutted cos I was looking forward to reading it. Hopefully I'll return to it at some stage!

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Started reading the first book! Give up after 70pages. Just too hard for me to read. Kinda gutted cos I was looking forward to reading it. Hopefully I'll return to it at some stage!

Seriously took me 3 attempts to get past page 200, keep at it. It's heavy duty stuff but well worth hanging on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Seriously took me 3 attempts to get past page 200, keep at it. It's heavy duty stuff but well worth hanging on.

I'm not a great reader at the best of times. But after reading all the Song of Ice and Fire books I wanted to get into another series! But I think this series is beyond me!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

Son0vagun wrote: »
    I'm not a great reader at the best of times. But after reading all the Song of Ice and Fire books I wanted to get into another series! But I think this series is beyond me!

As I said previously, it's not for everyone, but it is worth sticking with, for his characters alone. There are a few books in the series that have slow-ish first halves. If you're having trouble with it try revisiting when you have the chance to read at least the first third of Gardens of the Moon in a relatively short space of time. They're not really books to dip in and out of, particularly at the start, as a lot of them tend to build up converging character arcs and plot strands. The net can be so wide at the start that you don't know how everything is going to get drawn together, and I guess with so much going on, occasional readers could get a bit lost, having forgotten what's happening. I love that it's uncompromising in this regard though.

Personally, I ate up Gardens of the Moon, found Deadhouse a little slow to start, but I didn't find anything heavy going until the first halves of Toll the Hounds and Dust of Dreams. It's a different beast to ASOIAF, but better written, imo, and if you think Martin is ruthless with is characters....ha!

• Advertisement

Tor have put up the prelude and first chapter of "Forge of Darkness" on their site here for those interested. Personally never like these teasers but some might.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Tor have put up the prelude and first chapter of "Forge of Darkness" on their site here for those interested. Personally never like these teasers but some might.

I can beat that - bought the book 20 minutes ago.

I thought it wasn't due out until September...

edit: US release date is September, that makes sense.

I can beat that - bought the book 20 minutes ago.
    Yep, although the Kindle price is outrageously high. Where did you buy your copy? It's due on the 31st. US Kindle price (default for Irish customers) works out at €15.58 whereas the UK Kindle price is €11.98. It's ridiculous that we've to pay a 30% premium as the VAT difference is negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Read Gardens of the Moon last week. The writing style doesn't make it easy on the reader but I managed to stick it out to the end. When I finished I wasn't entirely sure it was worth the effort but I decided to give the second book a chance and am currently flying through Deadhouse Gates and enjoying it much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Yep, although the Kindle price is outrageously high. Where did you buy your copy? It's due on the 31st. US Kindle price (default for Irish customers) works out at €15.58 whereas the UK Kindle price is €11.98. It's ridiculous that we've to pay a 30% premium as the VAT difference is negligible.

I got it in Dubray Books in Galway for €15.99, the big paperback version.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jathclare

Just started Gotm, find it very hard going as many posters before have said. Will persevere as I always finish a book once started but unless it ends better doubt I'll progress further into the series. It doesnt help that the paperback I got in HF is really small and the text goes right into the spine, I have to peel eage page back and hold it there while reading. Its not an ideal book either to read on a bus full of excited Italian students!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Got GOTM a few weeks ago, just cant get into it have read about 50 pages in the amount of time ive usually double read most books, but ill keep going till i finish it as I had the same problem as Wheel Of Time

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

It's certainly an interesting world he's creating, and it's good to see people push the boundaries of the genres...

... but should reading fiction really be that much hard work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Trojan wrote: »

Probably not, I finished reading the The Crippled God about a month ago (an enjoyable slog), since then I've read a few sci-fi books (Forever War and Childhood's End), and I flew through them. Reading Erikson is like pumping weights at the gym before a conker fight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm not sure what is hard going about them? It could do without the poetry and replace it with something actually interesting, like in the price of nothing series, and some characters waffle on a bit in their head at the start of each time they are seen but generally I felt it was pretty easy going for something that is over 3,300,000 words. I was tired of simple short books, but I do agree it needs editing.

• Advertisement

Trojan wrote: »
    It's certainly an interesting world he's creating, and it's good to see people push the boundaries of the genres...

It's an effort vs reward scenario. I mean if all fantasy novels were like that.. then no. But this is unique and I got a lot of it for what I put in. Yes it is tiring - much the same way as not all classic literature is Ulysses either. Now and then though the investment pays off and this is such a case.

By comparison I'm reading Raymond E. Feist right now which is a hell of a lot more straight forward. Sometimes you want a snack too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I like to think of it as "bubblegum fantasy" :)

Perhaps it's my day job, dealing with multiple complex projects and lots of minutia, I don't particularly want my leisure reading to be multiple complex projects and lots of minutia :)

It's an effort vs reward scenario. I mean if all fantasy novels were like that.. then no. But this is unique and I got a lot of it for what I put in. Yes it is tiring - much the same way as not all classic literature is Ulysses either. Now and then though the investment pays off and this is such a case.

By comparison I'm reading Raymond E. Feist right now which is a hell of a lot more straight forward. Sometimes you want a snack too.

Definately a reward, Tehol and bugg are worth the slog by themselves. The first book itself just throws plots, history, characters at you, but once you get your head around it, its utterly fantastic. Took me 2 years and 3 attempts to get past page 300. Look along this thread and you'll find my despairing posts. I've actually given the books to 2 guys in work and they were the same, one stuck with it and eventually badgered the other guy into going back to it.

And heh at feist I was like you i started feist after finishing the the malazan stuff, it was wonderfully simplistic but something was lacking after reading the malazan books.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jathclare

Feist took me a while to get into too, mainly because the first book is quite "stock" fantasy not that I didnt enjoy it overall, but it didn't grip me at first. Gotm on the other hand is more original but 100 pages in I'm still not sure who the protaganists are, if there is a plot or whether I care whats on the next page....Hats off to those who've finished the series.

In contrast, I picked up The Terror by Dan Simmons in a friends house last weekend and got through about 50 pages in no time, remined me of how you can get lost in a novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Tristram wrote: »
    Read Gardens of the Moon last week. The writing style doesn't make it easy on the reader but I managed to stick it out to the end. When I finished I wasn't entirely sure it was worth the effort but I decided to give the second book a chance and am currently flying through Deadhouse Gates and enjoying it much more.

And so begins the tenth and final book!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Do you think if you went back and read the first one now you would enjoy it more, or is it that the first one wasn't as good as the rest/harder to read?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I was thinking of picking these up. I know they're heavy reading but would it be best to read one author's work before moving on to the other?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Do you think if you went back and read the first one now you would enjoy it more, or is it that the first one wasn't as good as the rest/harder to read?

GotM comes into its own upon repeated reading IMO.

I was thinking of picking these up. I know they're heavy reading but would it be best to read one author's work before moving on to the other?

I think this is the consensus reading order:

Gardens of the Moon
    Deadhouse Gates
    Memories of Ice
    House of Chains
    Midnight Tides
    Night of Knives
    The Bonehunters
    Return of the Crimson Guard
    Reaper's Gale
    Toll the Hounds
    Stonewielder
    Orb Sceptre Throne
    Dust of Dreams
    The Crippled God

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

keane2097 wrote: »
    I think this is the consensus reading order:

Gardens of the Moon
    Deadhouse Gates
    Memories of Ice
    House of Chains
    Midnight Tides
    Night of Knives
    The Bonehunters
    Return of the Crimson Guard
    Reaper's Gale
    Toll the Hounds
    Stonewielder
    Orb Sceptre Throne
    Dust of Dreams
    The Crippled God

Thanks! That's really helpful!

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement