Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Henley Achill stove glass

Options
  • 23-01-2021 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Good evening all,
    So I cracked the glass on our henley Achill stove. We've tried removing door. Bolts won't budge. Same issue trying to remove glass. .we can remove the top bolts on the glass. The bottom ones just won't turn. Applied wd40 and left overnight but still no joy.
    Any tips?
    Thanks
    Kelly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You can contact Henly Stoves on Facebook or WhatsApp.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Curious , Are they Allen heads or phillips? Should have more leverage with Allens.
    I had the same issue , glass cracked when the stove was running.
    One of the bolts wouldn't budge. Eventually the head broke and I had to drill it out and retap the hole. I put high temp anti seize on the threads and they've been fine since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kelly MH

Curious , Are they Allen heads or phillips? Should have more leverage with Allens.
    I had the same issue , glass cracked when the stove was running.
    One of the bolts wouldn't budge. Eventually the head broke and I had to drill it out and retap the hole. I put high temp anti seize on the threads and they've been fine since.
    Thanks. They are allen heads. Nothing will move them. We have been advised to just break the glass as this may make it easier to remove them. Tap the glass on each corner to weaken it? Will probably try that as no other options. Will not remove door so will try put glass on as is and see how we go.
    Kelly

Are you using the hex end of the allen key as opposed to the ball end? and is it fitting in properly? There are metric and imperial allen keys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Are you using the hex end of the allen key as opposed to the ball end? and is it fitting in properly? There are metric and imperial allen keys :)

He got the top ones off so I'd guess the bottom ones have had any little gaps filled with dust and also the metal would have expanded from heat.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

We went ahead and just broke the glass using a glass breaker/ emergency hammer aiming for around the area of the bolts. This appears to have done the job. He sprayed wd40 and used a wire brush gently to remove small bits of debris etc..and this looks to have loosened them. The little washer things looked goosed from the heat though. Not sure what their point was as they were very loose, hardly doing the job of a washer. We know not to overtighten the bolts. Will try putting glass in tomorrow so, door is still attached so will see how it goes.
    Thanks again

Isn't it the washers, as you call them, that are holding the glass in place? Post a pic if you can.

They are between the bolt and the clip . As the bolt is only finger tight or a tiny bit tighter, they just dangle in between and easy to move. Stove is in 10 yrs. The bottom two have essentially disintegrated with the heat.
    Will post a pic later, we took " before pics"
    Thanks

Advertisement