Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My 4.5kWh setup

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

I have 2MWh generated.
    It took 2 months to get to 1MWh but another 5 to 2MWh
    I estimate that with my setup I should be able to close to 5MWh a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

FYI unkel I saw full rate battery charging after 12 today when it had warmed up enough. First time this year. February has truly been excellent. In 8 days I have seen more than 50% of Jan production already. The bad old days of winter and a low sun are behind us.

February stats

Monthly Production: 227.8kWh (up from 119.5kWh in Jan)
    Monthly Consumption: 531kWh
    Self production: 42% (up from 21% in Jan)
    Highest amount produced a day: 17.4kWh
    Lowest amount produced a day: 0.6kWh

February was really surprising, I was not expecting it to be that good. I had full battery and hot water multiple times and also exported over 8kWh.

A bit late with update
    March stats:

Monthly Production: 403.8kWh (up from 227.8kWh in Feb)
    Monthly Consumption: 655.1kWh(I can see the impact of everybody staying at home as consumption is up by 100kWh)
    Self production: 61% (up from 42% in Feb)
    Highest amount produced a day: 24.1kWh
    Lowest amount produced a day: 1.4kWh

Since we had good amount of sun lately, I reached 3MWh yesterday.
    It took 2.5months to generate 1MWh

Exactly one year has passed since I got my PV setup
    Here are some stats:
    Total generated : 4.29MWh
    Total consumed: 7.17MWh
    Total exported: 118kWh
    Total imported: 3.09MWh
    Min generated: 105kWh(Dec)
    Max generated: 676kWh(May)

Feel free to ask questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

reklamos wrote: »
    Exactly one year has passed since I got my PV setup
    Here are some stats:
    Total generated : 4.29MWh
    Total consumed: 7.17MWh
    Total exported: 118kWh
    Total imported: 3.09MWh
    Min generated: 105kWh(Dec)
    Max generated: 676kWh(May)

Feel free to ask questions

If I read your figures right your Solar PV generated 4290kWh and you only exported 118kWh?

That sounds too good to be true or have I interpreted your data wrong?

KCross wrote: »
    If I read your figures right your Solar PV generated 4290kWh and you only exported 118kWh?

That sounds too good to be true or have I interpreted your data wrong?
    The figures are accurate. My export is kept to minimum due to battery, diverter to water and also I try to use(all the washing) as much as possible on sunny days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

With a diverter you will consume near 100% yourself. On a very good day you would probably have to hook your car up too it you are really keen on not exporting - some people in here are so inclined not to give away even the steam off their own p1ss :pac:

Diverting of course saves very little money unless you bought the part cheap and did a DIY install. And for people with small setups it actually costs money to divert. Cheaper to let it go to the grid for free...

Wanted resurrect this thread and give an update on my PV setup as it has been 1.5years since it was installed.
    I had a chance to look at financial part of it since I had a full year of usage.
    In 2018 total electricity bill was 2013
    In 2020 total electricity bill was bill was 762. I have excluded 2019 as PV was installed in the middle of the year but the trend is similar there also.
    I am really happy with the figures so far, taking into account that the electricity consumption has went up in 2020 due to Covid.
    Assuming there will be no additional PV investments needed and this trend to continue, my PV setup should pay itself in less than 8 years.

• Advertisement

That is an impressive reduction. Your bill reflects that you were a high electricity consumer so your self-use must be really high.
    My equivalent numbers for 2018 and 2020 are 1033 and 748 but our consumption has gone up significantly this year with CoVid and 3 computers on 24/7 and a daughter who has taken a real shine to baking. Without solar I estimate my bill would have been close to 1300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

reklamos wrote: »
    Wanted resurrect this thread and give an update on my PV setup as it has been 1.5years since it was installed.
    I had a chance to look at financial part of it since I had a full year of usage.
    In 2018 total electricity bill was 2013
    In 2020 total electricity bill was bill was 762. I have excluded 2019 as PV was installed in the middle of the year but the trend is similar there also.
    I am really happy with the figures so far, taking into account that the electricity consumption has went up in 2020 due to Covid.
    Assuming there will be no additional PV investments needed and this trend to continue, my PV setup should pay itself in less than 8 years.

Are you saying you saved €1200 by adding Solar PV? Thats about 8MWh's worth of savings... you suggested below that you expected 5MWh's in total for the year so something doesnt add up (considering your system is 4.5kWp). :confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

KCross wrote: »
    Are you saying you saved €1200 by adding Solar PV? Thats about 8MWh's worth of savings... you suggested below that you expected 5MWh's in total for the year so something doesnt add up (considering your system is 4.5kWp). :confused:

Yep using the jrc and having it optimise angle and slope 4.5kwp only will generate 4MWh.

Op do you know your useage from 2018, in kwh and the 2020 useage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

graememk wrote: »
    Yep using the jrc and having it optimise angle and slope 4.5kwp only will generate 4MWh.

Here in sunny Dublin you'd get 4.5MWh :p

unkel wrote: »
    Here in sunny Dublin you'd get 4.5MWh :p

According to met eireann your already getting an hour more daylight than the cold north!

garo wrote: »
    That is an impressive reduction. Your bill reflects that you were a high electricity consumer so your self-use must be really high.
    My equivalent numbers for 2018 and 2020 are 1033 and 748 but our consumption has gone up significantly this year with CoVid and 3 computers on 24/7 and a daughter who has taken a real shine to baking. Without solar I estimate my bill would have been close to 1300.
    Yes, I am heavy user as I have some workloads running 24x7(Lab with multiple servers, fish tanks etc) I think with PV install my mindset has shifted how I use electricity. I have built a lot of automation and monitoring so I can see when and what is using electricity.

graememk wrote: »

Op do you know your useage from 2018, in kwh and the 2020 useage?
    Guys,
    I only looked at financial part, have not checked the usage. In 2019 the bill was 1480 and PV was installed in July of that year, so 2018, 2019, 2020 trends are similar from financial point of view.
    in 2020 PV generated 4.133MWh and summer was pretty bad, otherwise I would be very close to 5MWh
    in 2020 I produced 60% of electricity I used.
    My annual self usage in 2020 is 71% compared to 63% in 2019. Being stuck at home(thanks to Covid) does have positive impact.

What I wanted to highlight(and should have done earlier) is how getting PV changes the way you think about and use electricity. Putting PV on the roof alone is not going to save a lot, but putting PV and changing your habits does have a significant and positive impact on finances. Before PV I just took electricity for granted and was accepting that every 2 months I will have to pay for it without asking why I use this much. I did switch my providers to get best deal but that was it. After PV install, I started monitoring and then putting automation in place so I use only what I need and when I need. This combination is what allowed me to save.

Yes I think being aware of your usage patterns is the important point. That probably contributed to more than half of the bill reduction. Having all that monitoring software built in really helps figure out what you are doing wrong and how you can reduce consumption. So installing a PV system has benefots that stretch beyond the production of electricity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

garo wrote: »
    Yes I think being aware of your usage patterns is the important point. That probably contributed to more than half of the bill reduction. Having all that monitoring software built in really helps figure out what you are doing wrong and how you can reduce consumption. So installing a PV system has benefots that stretch beyond the production of electricity.

Once you've some sort of constant load graphing system you discover all sorts of things. I was able to half my base load by determining what appliances/devices were hogging a few dozen watts here and there when "idle".

• Advertisement

Getting solar is an expensive energy monitor.

The energy monitoring bit, depending on how fancy and detailed you want to go can cost 1-200 euro. From the likes of an Owl system or an Emonpi.

So in 2020 you had 71% self use, that's great! Its like the argument of smart meters or pre pay meters that you save money - they save you money by helping you reduce your usage.

So at 70% self use, you saved about 470 euro.

Modifying your behavior saved you 730 euro.

Being able to reduce your electricity bill by that much is a huge achievement. But shouldn't be counted in the payback time of your solar.

I was monitoring my usage for about 6 months before getting my solar. Done all what you did about reducing loads, moving stuff to night rate etc.

Should that be counted in my ROI of my solar?

I am all for solar I have my own array, but things has to be realistic for payback times.

I would encourage anyone thinking of solar to get a good energy monitor, your experience proves that.

Advertisement