Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless technology

• 23-01-2021 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, looking for some advice.
    My heating system is 30 years old. The only controls I have on it, are a small manual timer in the utility room, and the thermostat on the outside (Grant) boiler.
    With modern technology, would I be able to replace the manual timer with something to tie in with a wireless room thermostat.
    I am not very knowledgeable on these matters.
    Thanks for any help forthcoming.
    PPG.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

ppg wrote: »
    Hi, looking for some advice.
    My heating system is 30 years old. The only controls I have on it, are a small manual timer in the utility room, and the thermostat on the outside (Grant) boiler.
    With modern technology, would I be able to replace the manual timer with something to tie in with a wireless room thermostat.
    I am not very knowledgeable on these matters.
    Thanks for any help forthcoming.
    PPG.
    A Hive wireless thermostat would do the job. Most of them would do.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Or a nest. We got ours free with Electric Ireland back in the day. Don't know if they are still giving that offer though.
    The heatlink replaces the manual timer and you can place the nest thermostat anywhere in the house once it can communicate wirelessly with the heatlink and your broadband router.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ppg

Thanks guys, appreciate your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

I have a "COMPUTHERM Q7RF" which does the job nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Tado do wireless stats that any sparks should be able to fit in ten mins. You essentially leave the timer as always on then use the smart temp settings on the app to increase decrease your desired settings. You can get a wired stat or wireless that can be moved to central place in the house to get a good sense of average temp. You can also add smart trv heads later to each rad to switch on/off rooms as you need them so instead of zones you now have individual control of each room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Head over to the home automation and internet of things forum. Lots of useful info there

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ppg

MicktheMan wrote: »
    I have a "COMPUTHERM Q7RF" which does the job nicely.

Thanks. I've already ordered a hive thermostat from Screwfix, so I'll see how I get on with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

SEI are still doing grants for up to 700 euros for upgrading your heating controls as far as I know. You might be able to get it split into zones, upstairs, downstairs & hot water for the same kind of money you are spending on the controls from screwfix

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭JasonRyan

Tado do wireless stats that any sparks should be able to fit in ten mins. You essentially leave the timer as always on then use the smart temp settings on the app to increase decrease your desired settings. You can get a wired stat or wireless that can be moved to central place in the house to get a good sense of average temp. You can also add smart trv heads later to each rad to switch on/off rooms as you need them so instead of zones you now have individual control of each room

+1 for the Tado, have that fitted with 8 of their smart TRV heads and the level of control to each room is great.
    It also controls the hot water, does open window / door detection, geofencing for turning on or off the heating (if you want it to) when it detects you are not at home / coming home etc.
    All in all a very nice system.

Advertisement