Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning an extension looking for tips

• 28-12-2020 5:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭

Howdy folks I'm planning an extension to an old 1930s terraced house down the country the current size is 86 sqm and that includes a single story kitchen /bathroom with a flat roof that's about 20 sqm. The garden is fairly big but narrow maybe 9m wide and easily 50/60m long.

Anyway I wondering if someone with experience can answer these questions.

1. If I'm factoring in the price of say a 20sqm meter extension on the ground floor is it priced based on 40sqm for two stories?

2. Is it possible to change the apex of the attic to work with the extension at the back to maximise space ( I've seen some house in the town do it) but not sure how it's aloud with pp.

3.where do I begin do I seek advise from an architect or go to a builder?

If anyone has an tips on what you know it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

1. No
    2. Seek arch advise.
    3. Both. Arch first.

In the throes of something similar.
    1. As above.

2. As above, but look at similar plannings nearby online to see whats being entertained. Going at the roof will bump your costs rapidly, but give you options on the first/second floor. You could submit a pre planning inquiry to them

3. Depending on budget and what kerb appeal your going for, I'd talk to construction engineers. I went with an architect (lovely drawings) but he hadn't a clue of prices as we went along.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Mike, re item 3: I think you mean a ‘Quanity surveyor’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

BryanF wrote: »

Tbh I'd probably start with the qty surveyor and work back, Having read the OPs post it seems like a budget that would grow out of control rapidly.

A good qty surveyor should be able to tell you what is feasible based on your actual true budget limitations.

What started of above as around the 90k mark quickly became 170k from my reading on it.

BryanF wrote: »

Nope

QS will cost the matetrisls but not necessarily design it IMO. Bill of quantities is useful for tendering, and comparison of tenders.

From my experience, if I'd to do it all again, I'd just get a construction/building engineer, who can design and cost as you go along, would have an approximate idea of knocking out a wall/raising apex etc., spec of steel needed etc.

We found it very frustrating the "disconnect" between the design and cost elements, and being over and back between the two. Talking to construction /building engineers post planning it seemed they'd have been a better bet.

Per listermint above, I agree, your budget will control everything. No point designing something it turns out you can't afford, and you're (worse case) in for re-design/planning, or doing bits in phases or dropping elements of the project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Nope

QS will cost the matetrisls but not necessarily design it IMO. Bill of quantities is useful for tendering, and comparison of tenders.

From my experience, if I'd to do it all again, I'd just get a construction/building engineer, who can design and cost as you go along, would have an approximate idea of knocking out a wall/raising apex etc., spec of steel needed etc.

We found it very frustrating the "disconnect" between the design and cost elements, and being over and back between the two. Talking to construction /building engineers post planning it seemed they'd have been a better bet.

Per listermint above, I agree, your budget will control everything. No point designing something it turns out you can't afford, and you're (worse case) in for re-design/planning, or doing bits in phases or dropping elements of the project.

So after considering it I wouldn't change the apex I had a look around the area and turns out lots of house had extensions without changing the apex.

But when you say a good building engineer do you mean like a an actual builder and let them run the whole project?

So after considering it I wouldn't change the apex I had a look around the area and turns out lots of house had extensions without changing the apex.

But when you say a good building engineer do you mean like a an actual builder and let them run the whole project?

If you got a decent builder, yea i reckon.
    Not a cowboy, a "professional"
    In Cork theres the likes of -snip-, bit more expensive but they'll do the lot. Drawings, spec, costs, PSDS/PSCS, etc. Overall might work out the same, with far less head ache

Or a construction engineer to do your drawings, spec, bill of quantities, then you can do the tendering yourself, as they all be pricing the same.

If design isn't key, and "only" a simple enough extension, and not an architecturally sensitive area or house, i wouldn't bother with an architect. You'll have lovely drawings, but when you go pricing they might not be adequate. Decent builders would have done several such jobs and might have good suggestions. Example - one room needed a steel beam per drawings. Builders were pricing and asking what spec I wanted, what did the engineer specify etc.. I was like "wha..."

-snip- on Cork gave me a fantastic idea once, as they were pricing another job, changed the whole functionality and liveability of the house. And it was like a throwaway comment from him.

Advertisement