Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The Rabbi wrote: »
    That's a great victiory,beating vegans in a journal poll.:rolleyes:

If you go back to original post, it was implied that it wasn't an issue,
    If it was up for discussion in the EU this week IFA would've been asked for an opinion. I doubt they would've put too much time into it.
    Likewise during the week it was reported that six out of a commitee of 50 on the IFA national Executive proposed a vote of no confidence in Tara Mc Carthy.
    Again the begrudgers in Beef Plan had to criticise even though I don't think it was passed. You couldn't make it up really..... again sad lot.
    It amazes me how we don't have the best beef prices/ government/ Covid nos in the world with all the self elected experts out there. The particular character I know wouldn't be a great example of anything well managed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

wrangler wrote: »
    If you go back to original post, it was implied that it wasn't an issue,
    If it was up for discussion in the EU this week IFA would've been asked for an opinion. I doubt they would've put too much time into it.
    Likewise during the week it was reported that six out of a commitee of 50 on the IFA national Executive proposed a vote of no confidence in Tara Mc Carthy.
    Again the begrudgers in Beef Plan had to criticise even though I don't think it was passed. You couldn't make it up really..... again sad lot.
    It amazes me how we don't have the best beef prices/ government/ Covid nos in the world with all the self elected experts out there. The particular character I know wouldn't be a great example of anything well managed

To be fair wrangler - the poster whom I was quoting was under the impression that the IFA - was a collective name for Irish farmers . And that it was Irish farmers themselves alone were taking this petition to Europe. Many of the comments with the article seem to follow the same general idea of farmers supposedly doing this because they are 'bitter' etc. The same bs ideas were been run in the vegetable forum

gozunda wrote: »
    To be fair wrangler - the poster whom I was quoting was under the impression that the IFA - was every single Irish farmer. And that it was Irish farmers themselves alone were taking this petition to Europe. Many of the comments with the article seem to follow the same general idea of farmers supposedly doing this because they are 'bitter' etc. The same bs ideas were been run in the vegetable forum

I have no opinion either way on what veggie burgers etc should be called but IFA can't say that because there's those out there that are only looking for a soft hit against them.
    There's not as many press releases coming from IFA either and I'll guarantee you it's because of those same keyboard cowards warriors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

To be fair wrangler - the poster whom I was quoting was under the impression that the IFA - was a collective name for Irish farmers . And that it was Irish farmers themselves alone were taking this petition to Europe. Many of the comments with the article seem to follow the same general idea of farmers supposedly doing this because they are 'bitter' etc. The same bs ideas were been run in the vegetable forum

"the vegetable forum" :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

Two farmers close to me both lost a cow to tetany this morning, suckler cows with calves on them. Plenty of pneumonia about also, it’s dangerous weather for cattle now.

Piece just finished on the Moncreif show about hal-al abattoirs and how most of them now support stunning of animals before slaughter. It would appear that it is a largely older profile who do not support stunning. Glad to see some development in this area tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

The big white bull got caught in one of our new creep gates yesterday. Had to laugh as it's the second time he had to be doused in calving lube to get him out!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

TheFarrier wrote: »
    27 inches from top of wall to top of railway track upright.

Haven’t measured any barrier but any I’ve seen were a good bit higher than that

Barrier 38 inches high, bolt holes about 36 inches apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Water John wrote: »
    Barrier 38 inches high, bolt holes about 36 inches apart.

Gentleman. Thank you.

A neighbour has a surplus barrier he’d let go I measured his this morning.

Debating now if I’d be better bolting the barrier at group level outside the wall, or bolt a heavy angle to the short train track upright to extend it the required foot that would allow me bolt the barrier on top of the wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Local tennis club refund part of the 2019/2020 fee back in July.
    Golf clubs are dealing with a different scenario this last ten years.
    Now with new courses, and fellows ( in particular) going in for other sports and pastimes, they have to fight to get members.
    Our local club in Cavan town used to be so difficult to get into that you really needed to have a relative a member to vouch for you, and even then it could take years.
    Between the property crash and the rise in the popularity of both cycling and all weather pitches for 5 a side etc, everycourse has a big sign up advertising for members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

The big white bull got caught in one of our new creep gates yesterday. Had to laugh as it's the second time he had to be doused in calving lube to get him out!! :D

Thanks for the tip, great idea the calving lube.

We have had to cut barriers twice, once with a heavily pregnant cow getting stuck in a crush and a calf stuck at the hips trying to force his way back into a pen.

Thanks for the tip, great idea the calving lube.

We have had to cut barriers twice, once with a heavily pregnant cow getting stuck in a crush and a calf stuck at the hips trying to force his way back into a pen.

Used it before on a bull who got his head stuck after lying down in a pen. But for him I eventually had to go for the bottle jack to widen the gate a couple of inches. Just easier & less stressful than a grinder & it can just give that extra slide that's needed.
    Knew this fella could fit out but he'd gotten both legs stuck over the gate & was just lying back on his arse & making it bulge even more. I'd say he was going out & a cow pushed him back & he just flopped down.
    Hate cutting bars!

I could have told them this YEARS ago :D

https://twitter.com/ThisisiRadio/status/1319164080721186816

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

They must have been following your twitter feed Lady Haywire

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Stress relief? I took a screenshot of my online bank account this morning to carry around with me for the winter and open up when I get depressed,,,,,:rolleyes:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I see in the Journal that calves are exempt from tb testing up to 120 days old, the same as it was during the last lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

blue5000 wrote: »
    Stress relief? I took a screenshot of my online bank account this morning to carry around with me for the winter and open up when I get depressed,,,,,:rolleyes:

Before tax and insurance come out :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Base price wrote: »
    I see in the Journal that calves are exempt from tb testing up to 120 days old, the same as it was during the last lockdown.

When does that derogation take effect Base?

When does that derogation take effect Base?
    From today.

• Advertisement

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    They must have been following your twitter feed Lady Haywire

Coincidence! Odd one though seeing as I just posted that video yesterday :pac:

Is boards playing up on anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

whelan2 wrote: »

I had a cloudflare notice just once last night I think.
    My mobile internet is steadily getting worse with the last 2 months. Gets dog slow from about 10am and gets worse as the day goes on . Doesn't improve till 11pm. I'm less than 2 miles to Vodafone mast clear view with full 4G coverage but it's slipping back to H+ today. I'm doing speed tests with the Vodafone app on the phone with nearly 6 weeks. Its getting to the stage where I'll be looking for postcards shortly.
    I'm convinced they're throttling the speeds during the day. Day of the week doesn't matter. Goes to shyte everyday. Neighbours are complaining about the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

yeah, a small bit. Getting notifications of unread threads and when I click in to followed threads, no unread posts in followed threads?

Iirc, one of the nodes must be out of sync so hopefully someone can give it a slap of a hammer to help it sync up again:pac:

Edit: Been told it's been sorted.

yeah, a small bit. Getting notifications of unread threads and when I click in to followed threads, no unread posts in followed threads?

Iirc, one of the nodes must be out of sync so hopefully someone can give it a slap of a hammer to help it sync up again:pac:

That or giving the Hamsters a good talking to. Are the striking for better conditions again? ;)

That or giving the Hamsters a good talking to. Are the striking for better conditions again? ;)

They're on a work to rule, want equal rights of access to coke and hookers:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I had a cloudflare notice just once last night I think.
    My mobile internet is steadily getting worse with the last 2 months. Gets dog slow from about 10am and gets worse as the day goes on . Doesn't improve till 11pm. I'm less than 2 miles to Vodafone mast clear view with full 4G coverage but it's slipping back to H+ today. I'm doing speed tests with the Vodafone app on the phone with nearly 6 weeks. Its getting to the stage where I'll be looking for postcards shortly.
    I'm convinced they're throttling the speeds during the day. Day of the week doesn't matter. Goes to shyte everyday. Neighbours are complaining about the same thing.

Move to the moon.

Coincidence! Odd one though seeing as I just posted that video yesterday :pac:

Don't post one of licking lizards..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Move to the moon.

Its a bit of a joke. They can land a spacecraft on an asteroid millions of miles away travelling at God knows what speed without ever seeing the damn thing and yet I can't get a bit of decent internet speed from a mast 2 miles away. :rolleyes:

Don't post one of licking lizards..

Could start a new trend.

Its a bit of a joke. They can land a spacecraft on an asteroid millions of miles away travelling at God knows what speed without ever seeing the damn thing and yet I can't get a bit of decent internet speed from a mast 2 miles away. :rolleyes:

I know and they can/will/talk of put 4G on the moon. Preparing in the future for 5G.

https://news.sky.com/story/nokia-to-build-4g-network-on-the-moon-for-nasa-12108387

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

What does the 28 day TB extension mean?
    Is it that farmers due annual herd tests have an extra 28 days to get the test done or that animals can be sold up to 365+28 days after a test.

tanko wrote: »
    What does the 28 day TB extension mean?
    Is it that farmers due annual herd tests have an extra 28 days to get the test done or that animals can be sold up to 365+28 days after a test.
    The last time they gave farmers 28 days extra before their herds were restricted. I presume it is the same this time.

I got a form today about a Tb hardship grant. I'm locked up waiting for the results of lesions in a cow sent to the factory in August. Am I eligible for this payment or what's the story with it?

Highlights from the Good Wood speed festival on itv4 there, very enjoyable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I got a form today about a Tb hardship grant. I'm locked up waiting for the results of lesions in a cow sent to the factory in August. Am I eligible for this payment or what's the story with it?

Are the pedigrees in your Dad's name/herd no? Reason I ask is I don't think dairy farmers qualify for the hardship grant, he might get it though.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Are the pedigrees in your Dad's name/herd no? Reason I ask is I don't think dairy farmers qualify for the hardship grant, he might get it though.

Pedigrees are in his herd. Will ring them later

Yea, a dairy farmer friend was restricted for two years and never got a penny, dairy farmers have the milkcheque so have cashflow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

wrangler wrote: »
    Yea, a dairy farmer friend was restricted for two years and never got a penny, dairy farmers have the milkcheque so have cashflow

No compensation for lost milk sales. Lost a good number midway thru the year in 2 different years. All costs associated with milk production incurred and 20k worth of milk supply removed from ya....

I rang them there and she didn't know why the form was sent to me .

I was in town earlier today, stuck behind a delivery lorry in a 2 lane one way street when their left hand indicator came on so I indicated to overtake on the right and pulled out from behind him but something stopped me from going too hard.

Anyway, he swing out onto the right hand lane and I jammed on the brakes, only a few feet beyond the back of his lorry. Yer man jumps down shouting and pointing and cursing me all roads so I got out as well and said nothing, just beckoned him behind his lorry to show him his indicator flashing left and the right one dead.

"Yeah, well you should be more f***ing careful, you c***!", sez he and back into his lorry so I stopped there because he couldn't reverse back to where he wanted to go with my car left there and I couldn't drive forward with his lorry blocking both lanes. And I couldn't reverse as there was more cars pulled up behind me.

He eventually had to drive off and come round again. First time in ages I've seen an indicator blown in a lorry so be careful out there, folks.

• Advertisement

Just wondering who's next in line for Ag minister?:pac:
    https://twitter.com/franmcnulty/status/1319669609751085056?s=19

Wasnt there something that the sanitizer being used in schools shouldn't contain alcohol in case kids drank it

It contained methanol instead of ethanol.

Are doe tests still going ahead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I was in town earlier today, stuck behind a delivery lorry in a 2 lane one way street when their left hand indicator came on so I indicated to overtake on the right and pulled out from behind him but something stopped me from going too hard.

Anyway, he swing out onto the right hand lane and I jammed on the brakes, only a few feet beyond the back of his lorry. Yer man jumps down shouting and pointing and cursing me all roads so I got out as well and said nothing, just beckoned him behind his lorry to show him his indicator flashing left and the right one dead.

"Yeah, well you should be more f***ing careful, you c***!", sez he and back into his lorry so I stopped there because he couldn't reverse back to where he wanted to go with my car left there and I couldn't drive forward with his lorry blocking both lanes. And I couldn't reverse as there was more cars pulled up behind me.

He eventually had to drive off and come round again. First time in ages I've seen an indicator blown in a lorry so be careful out there, folks.

My dad was stuck behind a neighbour in his tractor one time. He knew where he would be turning off the road so didn’t overtake. He had to cross the road but the wrong indicator came on. Dad stopped to tell him and neighbour said they couldn’t be as he had just checked them recently. He put it on and they were working correctly. Dad then said to push the break and see and when he did the other indicator came on.
    Can’t be careful enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭straight

Are doe tests still going ahead?

Ya, passed mine today. Garages open too.

Tractor has been struggling and messing about starting.

Put on an new starter today and it’s like a new tractor.

I hate, hate, hate a yoke that is dodgy starting. Old it may be, but it really must start.

Why is the department of agriculture in charge of the sanitizer?

• Advertisement

They knew for weeks it was being questioned and knew this day last week it had to be withdrawn. Min of Ag told yesterday. He should have skin and hair flying in there, but he seems a mild man.

Advertisement