Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abandoned Mansions Of Ireland

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

In need of some TLC. In any other country its connections with Wellington would be enough to see it preserved but I'm sure that it will eventually be let fall down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

In need of some TLC. In any other country its connections with Wellington would be enough to see it preserved but I'm sure that it will eventually be let fall down.

Here are some photos I took of Dangan Castle and Estate in July 2008. Among them you'll see the ruin of a church on the estate. It's not merely a bell tower to call the tenants. There was also a small footbridge on the estate and other things indicating a manorial settlement. For some reason I don't have photos of them here.

Dangan Castle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It is the ruin of an early to mid 18th century two storey house; inherited from a Wesley cousin in 1728 by Richard Colley who had to change his name to Wesley to get it. here He was the grandfather of the Duke of Wellington. While the Iatter did spend some of his childhood at Dangan, he was not born there - most accounts (including that of his mother) state he was born in Dublin.

Dangan was badly damaged by fire in the early 1790’s and it was sold by the Duke’s older brother Richard for about £25,000 in 1793 to an East Indian Company ‘Nabob’, a Colonel Burrowes, M.P., who extended it considerably. It was let by Burrowes to the United Irishman Roger O’Connor, (the brother of Arthur) who had been made an honorary General by Napoleon; he was said to have taken the house in order to be able to entertain Napoleon there. As Napoleon was unlikely to visit due to more pressing affairs, O’Connor felled and sold all the trees and gutted the house of anything of value. Another fire in 1809 completed its ruin.

Roofless and derelict for more than 200 years, it is beyond redemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭edwood

AI wrote: »
    :eek: Sorry but that was just one of the journalists from The Herald newspaper who was along with me for the day. He poked his head out of the doorway at the wrong time!

Hi I am living in Limerick and I just wondered if you could let me know how to find both of these places? http://www.abandonedireland.com/hjkl.html and http://www.abandonedireland.com/hah.html I would love to take a day trip to see both. Would really appreciate if you could help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

It is the ruin of an early to mid 18th century two storey house; inherited from a Wesley cousin in 1728 by Richard Colley who had to change his name to Wesley to get it. here He was the grandfather of the Duke of Wellington. While the Iatter did spend some of his childhood at Dangan, he was not born there - most accounts (including that of his mother) state he was born in Dublin.

Dangan was badly damaged by fire in the early 1790’s and it was sold by the Duke’s older brother Richard for about £25,000 in 1793 to an East Indian Company ‘Nabob’, a Colonel Burrowes, M.P., who extended it considerably. It was let by Burrowes to the United Irishman Roger O’Connor, (the brother of Arthur) who had been made an honorary General by Napoleon; he was said to have taken the house in order to be able to entertain Napoleon there. As Napoleon was unlikely to visit due to more pressing affairs, O’Connor felled and sold all the trees and gutted the house of anything of value. Another fire in 1809 completed its ruin.

Roofless and derelict for more than 200 years, it is beyond redemption.
    Great research, I would argue about it being beyond redemption,I have worked with more than my fair share of old buildings to have so pessamistic an outlook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

crockholm wrote: »
    Great research, I would argue about it being beyond redemption,I have worked with more than my fair share of old buildings to have so pessamistic an outlook.

Point taken. I should have said 'economic redemption'. The work required to put that back to habitable condition would mean that it would end up a pastiche, not a restoration. The three remaining walls possibly are structurally doubtful and their integrity is questionable given that there is substantial detritus and mature growth inside the building that would need to be removed. Do not get me wrong, I am all in favour of saving & preserving buildings, but there is so little money and so much to be done and so little help that someone entitled to to play 'god' from time to time and make suggestions. It would be far better to see the money being put to better use on a building of greater character/importance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Point taken. I should have said 'economic redemption'. The work required to put that back to habitable condition would mean that it would end up a pastiche, not a restoration. The three remaining walls possibly are structurally doubtful and their integrity is questionable given that there is substantial detritus and mature growth inside the building that would need to be removed. Do not get me wrong, I am all in favour of saving & preserving buildings, but there is so little money and so much to be done and so little help that someone entitled to to play 'god' from time to time and make suggestions. It would be far better to see the money being put to better use on a building of greater character/importance.
    We do agree on so much, If the house were to become a place of residence again,it would most likely be a UK national with a penchant for history and lots of money.
    Just for now,given the opportunity,I would like to see something like a CE scheme put in place,whereby out of work builders and those who would like a career in restoration a form of apprenticeship.
    Realistically,something to conserve the structures,to halt the decay would be accectable,every building of this era will never again be repeated and therefore lost,and that goes for the smaller vernacular houses and stables/barns too.
    Sometimes,in Ireland it feels like people veiw these buildings just as monuments to supression and therefore are ambivilant about their protection

Advertisement