Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Round silage bale sheep feeders

• 21-11-2019 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Can anyone advise on what is the best round silage bale sheep feeder? Had old ring feeder, but getting to heavy for me when placing it over the silage bale, quite a bit of waste from it as well. What about those feeders that you open gate, place bale and close gate again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭kk.man

Can anyone advise on what is the best round silage bale sheep feeder? Had old ring feeder, but getting to heavy for me when placing it over the silage bale, quite a bit of waste from it as well. What about those feeders that you open gate, place bale and close gate again?

Yes the best by far and up off the ground too. Im buying a second one shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Bought 8ft feeding barriers here and out the bale in the middle with 4 barriers around it saves alot off waste the round feeders 2 Small sheep pull all silage out and stand up on the feeder till eat too off bale. €50 for 8ft barrier but it's multi purpose can be used for loads a things and a round feeder is €125 or so i think

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Lambman wrote: »
    Bought 8ft feeding barriers here and out the bale in the middle with 4 barriers around it saves alot off waste the round feeders 2 Small sheep pull all silage out and stand up on the feeder till eat too off bale. €50 for 8ft barrier but it's multi purpose can be used for loads a things and a round feeder is €125 or so i think

You would hardly have a photo of this set-up? Lookin at my options here. I use 1and a half round feeder round each bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭countyhouse

How can you place silage bale in these feeders and take off the plastic, without the bale falling apart?

How can you place silage bale in these feeders and take off the plastic, without the bale falling apart?
    Take off plastic not the net, first. Then put bale on loader over the feeder close to where it will sit. Cut the net near the bottom of the bale and pull the netting off. Let down the loader and reverse tractor. Close the gate, job done.

• Advertisement

I will be loading bale with a spike which is not as good as a loader as it will be lower, but will follow your instructions

Followed your instructions, worked a treat, have to be quick removing the netting as silage tends to start unraveling quickly. Mine chopped. I can see there will be some waste. In order to allow sheep in to feed the space needs to be a certain size, but it will result in silage dropping down. Any thoughts on minimising waste?

kk.man wrote: »
    Take off plastic not the net, first. Then put bale on loader over the feeder close to where it will sit. Cut the net near the bottom of the bale and pull the netting off. Let down the loader and reverse tractor. Close the gate, job done.

Worked a treat, see my earlier post

Worked a treat, see my earlier post
    Delighted it worked for you. Yes you have to be fast with the netting. I always found the better quality silage or hay means you need to be extra fast.

Your bars are a lot wider on yours than mine, my sheep cant pull out the fodder as easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭memorystick

Delighted it worked for you. Yes you have to be fast with the netting. I always found the better quality silage or hay means you need to be extra fast.

Your bars are a lot wider than mine, my sheep cant pull out the fodder as easy.

Isn’t there sheep wire all along the bottom and sides?

• Advertisement

Isn’t there sheep wire all along the bottom and sides?
    No. Tighter bars.

No. Tighter bars.

You sure?

You sure?

Oh.. There are in his alright.

Oh.. There are in his alright.

The neighbours one I borrowed has some sheep wire on two sides to reduce wastage, however I had to remove it as my one and only pedigree texel got her head stuck in it and I had to cut her free. Any other tips to reduce wastage? See photo

The neighbours one I borrowed has some sheep wire on two sides to reduce wastage, however I had to remove it as my one and only pedigree texel got her head stuck in it and I had to cut her free. Any other tips to reduce wastage? See photo

like I said buy one with tighter bars. I have both and the one like yours is getting the door the first chance I get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I'm sure I put these pics up before of feeders I got made a couple of years ago. I'm sorry but those bars on your feeders will result in half your bale on the ground and sheep wire will either have your ewes hung or all the tags ripped out of their ears.
    Buy a couple of sheets of 3" mesh and tack them on the bottom and sides. You'll pay for it with the silage you save.

I'm sure I put these pics up before of feeders I got made a couple of years ago. I'm sorry but those bars on your feeders will result in half your bale on the ground and sheep wire will either have your ewes hung or all the tags ripped out of their ears.
    Buy a couple of sheets of 3" mesh and tack them on the bottom and sides. You'll pay for it with the silage you save.

Makes sense, who sells those in the photos and where are they located? Cover important

Makes sense, who sells those in the photos and where are they located? Cover important

I designed them myself and got a local fella to make them. Was sick of all types of feeders not working properly and too much wasted silage. About a wheelbarrow full of waste from every bale with these feeders and the tin cover keeps the rain off and Hoggs from jumping up onto the bale. Cost about £400 each to make and galvanise but a lifetime job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

What we do is only cut a small openings in the plastic, this is with non chopped silage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

I designed them myself and got a local fella to make them. Was sick of all types of feeders not working properly and too much wasted silage. About a wheelbarrow full of waste from every bale with these feeders and the tin cover keeps the rain off and Hoggs from jumping up onto the bale. Cost about £400 each to make and galvanise but a lifetime job.

Someone stole your idea

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2769634013124546&id=100002339226427&set=gm.1308378402681189&source=48

• Advertisement

razor8 wrote: »

:D:D Ha, don't think it was worth the bother of patenting it Razor.

Your bars are a lot wider on yours than mine, my sheep cant pull out the fodder as easy.

I borrowed one last year, where can I buy a new one like yours with the narrow bars?

I borrowed one last year, where can I buy a new one like yours with the narrow bars?

Fella in roscommon on done deal used to do them. They had a roof option too.

Which of these is best? See photos

Which of these feeders is best?

Which of these feeders is best?

Attachment no. 1

How would this be for finishing lambs? Too high or would I be better with round feeder?

https://www.foxbros.ie/product/5-x-5-sheep-hay-rack/

How would this be for finishing lambs? Too high or would I be better with round feeder?

https://www.foxbros.ie/product/5-x-5-sheep-hay-rack/

As stated the bars are too far apart... Too much waste

As stated the bars are too far apart... Too much waste

So the round one is the better option?

• Advertisement
Advertisement