Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HiBy R3 Pro DAP

Options
  • 07-07-2020 10:13am

Thinking of picking one of these up. Anyone have one? If so, how easy is it to transfer music, etc. Battery life, SQ and the like ?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

No experience personally but I've come close to pulling the trigger on a DAP a few times, but I always feel for me personally it's not going to be an upgrade on my phone and BTR5. I still use last.fm and I'm not sure any of these can scrobble.

I'd be interested to hear peoples opinions though!

That's a nice looking device, and features seem good for the price.

I've pulled the trigger anyway so will let you know how it goes.

I initially had the Sony NW-A55L in my basket but have heard a few bad things about it's power output and that it puts out very low volume because of a limiter. The HiBy was only a little more expensive so decided on that in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭weeslip

I have one due for delivery this week. I like have a dap and for the last few years have used Fiio - X7, M11pro and the M6 which the R3 Pro will hopefully replace. M6 is a lovely little machine which does a lot and for a very small size sounds great. If you really want to you can run Spotify, Qoboz, Tidal etc but it's little painful, it really excels as a dedicated player for your own files. It's also a great dac if you travel a lot.

I pulled the trigger on the Hiby as I wanted something that had balanced and I was also interested in exploring alternatives to the Fiio sound. I'm ok with it not having the best streaming support as I've got enough of my own music at this stage and I like the idea of something that is isolated from the world :-)

This arrived Friday and have been playing around with it all weekend. Seriously impressed with the sound and ease of use.
    Out of all the headphone's i own, my HD650's sound best with it. I use my 1000XM3's when out and about and they sound great too. Overall very happy with the purchase.

I've been looking at it more and more since you posted about it :)

Might be too early, but what's battery life like when using the balanced output?

You don't have a BTR5 or anything to compare sound against?

Also weeslip, when yours arrives it would be great to hear impressions regarding sound quality compared to the bigger Fiios.

I'm actually of the same opinion after doing some reading, that I'd want to move away from an Android based streaming system and just have my local files on it.

• Advertisement

I've been looking at it more and more since you posted about it :)

Might be too early, but what's battery life like when using the balanced output?

You don't have a BTR5 or anything to compare sound against?

Also weeslip, when yours arrives it would be great to hear impressions regarding sound quality compared to the bigger Fiios.

I'm actually of the same opinion after doing some reading, that I'd want to move away from an Android based streaming system and just have my local files on it.

The only other thing i use is a Fiio K5 Pro but i suppose you can't really compare the two. There's the MSEB Tuner on it that is seriously impressive. Let's you really fine tune your listening experience.

I think you get about 16 hours Balanced but not tested that yet.

Any more impressions on it guys? :D

Any more impressions on it guys? :D

Can't find any faults with it personally. Battery life is great and so small and discrete. Sounds brilliant too.

Can't find any faults with it personally. Battery life is great and so small and discrete. Sounds brilliant too.

Nice one, will probably pick it up in a few weeks so.

Have ordered a nice little leather case for it from their website even though it does come with a clear plastic one in the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

Hi guys sorry to resurrect and hi jack this thread. I have Sony X1000xm4 headphones and an IPhone 11 Pro Max. Was looking at a portable player to benefit from the LDAC / Hi Res Audio. Is the Hiby my best bet ? Was looking at the Sony A105 variant. Can you import music from Apple Music into it ? Thanks in advance

I've only used it a few times with my XM3's and the audio did drop a few times while i was out and about but not while listening indoors.
    I only really use it wired through the balanced input. No idea about the Apple part though sorry.

I've only used it a few times with my XM3's and the audio did drop a few times while i was out and about but not while listening indoors.
    I only really use it wired through the balanced input. No idea about the Apple part though sorry.

How is the Tidal implementation ?

How is the Tidal implementation ?

I don't use Tidal. Just use it for FLAC.

I don't use Tidal. Just use it for FLAC.

Thank you. What balanced cable are you using ?

Great. Is it easy to import music library onto the device from your computer or CD collection ?

You just drag and drop onto your micro sd card and when it's in the player you update the database. Your files need to be in folders if you want albums separated. Most the music i have on it is via Bandcamp as i don't collect cd's only vinyl.

Does the R5 give you anything extra over the R3 Pro to justify the price difference ? I had read the R5 doesn’t limit the quality of streaming in Tidal but unsure if that’s the case on the R3 Pro.

Hi, what do you use to listen to music? Just to keep in mind the R3 has basic tidal and qobuz ( i have not been able to get the Qobuz working). It's mainly for listening to your own music library. For that purposes it's great. Bluetooth is stable and a wide range of codecs. I use with a Fiio BTR5 with LDAC and it sounds very good,

I used it with Tidal for a few days on a free trial and it was very good but you have to remember no Tidal offline

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. At minute I’ve pair of Sony 1000xm4 headphones and IPhone Pro Max. iPhones are crap for lossless music I understand so that’s why I’m looking for a DAP. Would prefer to be able to use Tidal or similar offline but maybe that’s not possible ?

I would consider just keeping the pairing that you have of iPhone and MX4. You would need to get something like the Fiio M6 to get a dap with offline Tidal, and it's still pretty slow. If you are willing to pay more the R6 is great but in maybe overkill for your needs. With noise cancelling headphones you are always going to be making a sacrifice with sound quality.

You can't add a balanced cable to the MX4

weeslip wrote: »
    I would consider just keeping the pairing that you have of iPhone and MX4. You would need to get something like the Fiio M6 to get a dap with offline Tidal, and it's still pretty slow. If you are willing to pay more the R6 is great but in maybe overkill for your needs. With noise cancelling headphones you are always going to be making a sacrifice with sound quality.

You can't add a balanced cable to the MX4

Ok so if I just keep my setup now as is then is there any benefit to having the top HiFi Tidal option ? Just using free trial at minute testing it out

Now looking at pairing the r3 pro with the Shure SRH1540 wired cans. Are these a good match? Would the R3 Pro be able to power these well enough ?

Now looking at pairing the r3 pro with the Shure SRH1540 wired cans. Are these a good match? Would the R3 Pro be able to power these well enough ?

Easily.

Advertisement