Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smartwatch Suggestion

• 26-06-2020 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Looking for my first smartwatch.
    Was veering towards the Garmin Vívoactive 4S, but am open to other watches.
    Trying to keep it under €300 so any suggestions appreciated

Comments

Can't go wrong with the Garmin if exercise is your main focus. It doesn't have a nice screen like a lot of other smartwatches, though. If you want a nicer screen, then check out the Garmin Venu. You should be able to pick that up for around €300. Another advantage of Garmin is Garmin Pay works, whereas you won't have an option of paying with your watch with a Samsung smartwatch, or most Android Wear watches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

I have only tried Samsungs smartwatches, had the Galaxy Watch 46mm BT and really liked it but found it to bulky to use for sleep tracking so got the Active 2 instead and love it.
    There's a new Samsung galaxy Watch 3 coming out in a months time and it should be less than 300.
    Blood pressure monitor and ECG should be features/functions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Was looking to pick up something myself, preferably with a payment feature

Was looking at the Fitbit versa 2 from Curry's for 199

Anyone any thoughts on it ?

Also is Fitbit pay any good ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Only the following work in Ireland
    • AIB (Visa)
    • boon. by Wirecard
    • KBC (Mastercard)
    • Revolut
    • TransferWise (Mastercard)
    • bunq (Mastercard)

If you want to use it for fitness, then I wouldn't recommend Fitbit. From what I've seen, they fall apart when used heavily for exercise. One person I know returned theirs 3 times. Also bear in mind that the Versa doesn't have GPS (AFAIK).

If you just want it for notifications and payments, then it will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Only the following work in Ireland
    • AIB (Visa)
    • boon. by Wirecard
    • KBC (Mastercard)
    • Revolut
    • TransferWise (Mastercard)
    • bunq (Mastercard)

Ended up buying one

I use it with revolut so happy enough.

Smart features are decent but not up there with apple watch obviously but I'm happy for 199

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Ended up buying one

I use it with revolut so happy enough.

Smart features are decent but not up there with apple watch obviously but I'm happy for 199

I got one in mid-2019. I ended up returning mine because it was absolutely chronic for tracking steps. Told me I'd done 7,000+ sitting in the car. Upgraded to the Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music. Got a magnetic strap for when I want it to look pretty and it's done everything I asked of it and more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Jack Imhoff

Ticwatch are quite good, bought mine at Xmas and can't fault it at all tbh

Ticwatch are quite good, bought mine at Xmas and can't fault it at all tbh

Depends what you compare it to. Had the Ticwatch Pro, unbearably laggy....had to return it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Samsung do wearables better than google/android wear. If I were looking for a smart watch again, I'd probably get a samsung one in my price range. Usually I wear the gear fit pro 2 as it came bundled with my phone. Only wear smart gear during exercise now as I prefer mechanical watches for day to day.

• Advertisement

you'd really have to describe your main uses for it - do you care about notifications, apps, sports tracking accuracy, using voice assistants

Garmin is best for accuracy of sports tracking

Samsung / Wear Os for the flexibility of installing apps (Samsung has better battery life but less apps). Maybe wait for the new Galaxy Watch in August

If you have an iphone the apple watch is the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Had the ticwatch s2 last year, got rid of it after 2months.very poor smartwatch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What did you get instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

beauf wrote: »
    What did you get instead...

Actually ended up getting fitbit versa 2, it's basic yet decent for tracking hr/ steps /exercise /sleep etc but Its Not exactly a smartwatch! You can see msg previews but can't type replies!

In a years time I will probably look at getting a quality smartwatch but this does the trick for now

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Actually ended up getting fitbit versa 2, it's basic yet decent for tracking hr/ steps /exercise /sleep etc but Its Not exactly a smartwatch! You can see msg previews but can't type replies!

In a years time I will probably look at getting a quality smartwatch but this does the trick for now

I'm off the same mind as you. But tbh for 199 it is decent. I'll hold on to it for a year-ish until the tech gets better and also the pricing gets better too.

At the moment to is a nice one too start off with to get an idea if you'd live with one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

I notice on the Samsung online store (https://shop.samsung.com/ie) they dont seem to sell any of the watches with LTE/4g support.. They are all bluetooth from what I can see. I'm looking at getting a new smart watch (for running and casual wear) and have a virgin data sim card sitting around im not using. Would be great to be able to use it in a watch for Spotify.
    Is it possible and any watch recommendations if so?

Anjunadeep wrote: »
    I notice on the Samsung online store (https://shop.samsung.com/ie) they dont seem to sell any of the watches with LTE/4g support.. They are all bluetooth from what I can see. I'm looking at getting a new smart watch (for running and casual wear) and have a virgin data sim card sitting around im not using. Would be great to be able to use it in a watch for Spotify.
    Is it possible and any watch recommendations if so?

https://shop.samsung.com/ie/wearables/53-watch-46mm-8801643397678.html

I think that's the LTE version. I actually own it, but used the 4G feature, because it requires an eSIM and I haven't looked into it.

To be honest, I don't know when the 4G would be any use to me. I run with my Garmin, and it has Garmin Pay for if I'm stuck to pay for something and don't have my phone. The Galaxy Watch has the advantage of having the connectivity when away from your phone, but I wouldn't be able to pay for anything with it.

there are no consumer eSims in Ireland and zero info as to their date of availability

the only ones are for IoT e.g. for smart electricity meters

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Sos88sos88

Sorry to hijack this,but any suggestions for good value android device. To be honest mainly just want it for step counter

Sos88sos88 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this,but any suggestions for good value android device. To be honest mainly just want it for step counter

Get the honor band 5 at Amazon

Step counter, best in class sleep tracking, blood oxygen level measurement (handy for Covid), heart rate measurement. Workout tracking including swim tracking

Should get it for about £28

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smartwatch-waterproof-pedometer-messaging-notifications-Blue/dp/B089VS9TYD/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=US41LFFYHMGJ&dchild=1&keywords=honor+band+5&qid=1595629082&sprefix=honor+band+%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNFNZTjNYQkNFQzZYJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzI4OTc5MTlaMzQxS04xTUFKTiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjY4OTE4MVgzWkREOTEwWFYwOCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

glasso wrote: »
    As an ambulance responder, I'd have my concerns about the accuracy of the Sp02 (blood oxygen) readings coming from the wrist. Sp02 monitors are usually put on fingertips as the skin is more transparent there and easier to get accurate readings from. Plus, sometimes cheap products from unknown brands could be snake oil. Seen a €50 watch before that claimed it could give me a blood pressure reading. I know for a fact that blood pressure can only be gotten by squeezing an arm with a cuff. I had to spend 24 hours with one strapped to me. If this watch was accurate, the whole medical field would be using them instead of a 24 hours cuff.
    Be careful what you trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You may be right.

But the medical profession would be restricted (I assume) to medically certified devices. They wouldn't be allowed just use anything regardless if it worked or not.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/13/17855006/apple-watch-series-4-ekg-fda-approved-vs-cleared-meaning-safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Sos88sos88 wrote: »

If its just steps then a Mi Band 4 or 5 would be fine. I used one for a long time and it was great. Charge it once every 10 days or so.

flazio wrote: »
    As an ambulance responder, I'd have my concerns about the accuracy of the Sp02 (blood oxygen) readings coming from the wrist. Sp02 monitors are usually put on fingertips as the skin is more transparent there and easier to get accurate readings from. Plus, sometimes cheap products from unknown brands could be snake oil. Seen a €50 watch before that claimed it could give me a blood pressure reading. I know for a fact that blood pressure can only be gotten by squeezing an arm with a cuff. I had to spend 24 hours with one strapped to me. If this watch was accurate, the whole medical field would be using them instead of a 24 hours cuff.
    Be careful what you trust.

they don't need to be super accurate.

if you are reading very low (<90%) you could potentially have an issue. therein lies the value

skin on the wrist is fairly thin also....

I've measured one vs finger ones before and was 2% diff max. often 1% or the same.

mi band 5 doesn't have blood O2 measurement

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Sos88sos88

Opted for the Huawei Band 4 simply as was in stock, perfect, such better value then a smartwatch

Advertisement