Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ETB Recruitment Freeze

Options
  • 29-05-2020 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Are ETB's advertising at the moment and interviewing? Feel there isn't as many vacancies been advertised as there usually would be at this time of year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

ulsen wrote: »
    Are ETB's advertising at the moment and interviewing? Feel there isn't as many vacancies been advertised as there usually would be at this time of year.

Think they've been told to hold off, something to do with panel or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

I doubt it very much, Malachy,Tony,Mary et al are down a fortune already due to interviews not taking place.Expect interviewing to be ramped up big time now........mind you recruitment might be nil unless you are well connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

ethical wrote: »
    I doubt it very much, Malachy,Tony,Mary et al are down a fortune already due to interviews not taking place.Expect interviewing to be ramped up big time now........mind you recruitment might be nil unless you are well connected.

Sad, but true.

Kind of unfair getting people to travel on-site to interviews. Or is that allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Treppen wrote: »
    Kind of unfair getting people to travel on-site to interviews. Or is that allowed?

Defintely allowed - I suppose it's for the box ticking. Years ago, I travelled to the other side of country for an interview. With a few questions why I was there, principal and deputy interview me. They obviously forgot they had emailed to attend for interview. Anyway long story short, I was less than 15 minutes at that interview. Off topic but I had an interview where I had been working in the neighbouring school, whole interview was centred around what the other school was doing. In the end both jobs were gone. It is so wrong to do this to unemployed teachers who are in fact are professionals but aren't treated as so. I wonder if these principals went through the same process when they were looking for their jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ethical wrote: »
    You obviously have never had to form an interview board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Some adverts state there will be zoom interviews. I wish they’d do that all the time. The money I wasted over the years travelling around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

Its unfortunate that some posters here have suffered the same as many of us have.On the other hand there are a few,lets call them,sympathisers,here as well,standing up for corruption all the time.You will never change these things in good old Ireland.My experience of another country ,where I have actually taken part,from the other side in that I have been on a board and followed procedure.Lets just say it was an eye opener, from a fairness point of view and there were certainly no shirts or blouses with top pocket names there!You got the job if you were deemed suitable for it...................FULL STOP! We have a lot to learn over here in our Banana Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ulsen

LCETB have 0 vacancies, GRETB have 0 vacancies, LOETB have 2 vacancies and MCETB all vacancies are for further education only. Normally every year there is far more vacancies at this time of year, and I was just wondering if anyone knew what the policy was within ETB's and recruitment at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

LMETB and CMETB had their annual recruitment adverts a few weeks ago anyway. Give those etb hr staff a call to see when they’ll be advertising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Bookman2000

Defintely allowed - I suppose it's for the box ticking. Years ago, I travelled to the other side of country for an interview. With a few questions why I was there, principal and deputy interview me. They obviously forgot they had emailed to attend for interview. Anyway long story short, I was less than 15 minutes at that interview. Off topic but I had an interview where I had been working in the neighbouring school, whole interview was centred around what the other school was doing. In the end both jobs were gone. It is so wrong to do this to unemployed teachers who are in fact are professionals but aren't treated as so. I wonder if these principals went through the same process when they were looking for their jobs.

Very unfair how majority of principals get away with this. I left a CID position after over 13 years teaching Irish and MFL to move close home - was told I would walk into a job as lots of experience, was a year head, subject coordinator, organising extra and co curricular event etc . Six years on and here I am back to square one another summer applying for jobs. I feel I get called for interview just to make up a number and as am asked a lot of questions looking for info on other schools. Have an interview soon - no hours advertised of course and will be breaking the 5 Km travel restrictions travelling over 30km. I feel I will just have to leave teaching as becoming more humiliating every summer applying for jobs set up for somebody linked to the school and not easy as you become older.

Very unfair how majority of principals get away with this. I left a CID position after over 13 years teaching Irish and MFL to move close home - was told I would walk into a job as lots of experience, was a year head, subject coordinator, organising extra and co curricular event etc . Six years on and here I am back to square one another summer applying for jobs. I feel I get called for interview just to make up a number and as am asked a lot of questions looking for info on other schools. Have an interview soon - no hours advertised of course and will be breaking the 5 Km travel restrictions travelling over 30km. I feel I will just have to leave teaching as becoming more humiliating every summer applying for jobs set up for somebody linked to the school and not easy as you become older.

Shocking stuff, did you ever consider jumping into primary or Would that be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bookman2000

Shocking stuff, did you ever consider jumping into primary or Would that be any different?

I do not think primary is any more different.I do not want to pay out thousands of euro to go back to college and realise that it was all for nothing. I love teaching as am passionate about the Irish language and MFL - students over the years have sent me kind messages and even online at end of lockdown of how their Irish has improved and how I try to make learning the language more interesting. I always let students know that I came from a disadvantaged background where my family were not able to send me to Irish college or abroad. Its receiving messages from students which makes me not leave the profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

ulsen wrote: »
    LCETB have 0 vacancies, GRETB have 0 vacancies, LOETB have 2 vacancies and MCETB all vacancies are for further education only. Normally every year there is far more vacancies at this time of year, and I was just wondering if anyone knew what the policy was within ETB's and recruitment at the moment.

GRETB advertised weeks ago, would have been in early to mid May. Haven't done any interviews yet to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

GRETB advertised weeks ago, would have been in early to mid May. Haven't done any interviews yet to the best of my knowledge.

Tipperary ETB currently advertising. Not sure what the story is with interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Any ETB interviews happening at all? Several jobs being advertised but not much action from them from what I can see. Anybody get a new gig or are we still in the 'advertising for a filled position because we're obliged to stage'?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ulsen

Any ETB interviews happening at all? Several jobs being advertised but not much action from them from what I can see. Anybody get a new gig or are we still in the 'advertising for a filled position because we're obliged to stage'?

Very little response from many of ETB's I applied to. Had first interview last week with an ETB for a post that was advertised in April, I knew already that job was already filled- but got placed on panel so it's a start.

Cork ETB has a lot of interviews either done and underway via zoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭joeharte123

Many ETBs had interviews in June. If you have applied you could get called end of August for 4 hours etc. I'd say the reason for the few vacancies being advertised this year is due to the lack of teachers going on career break etc. due to The Virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

Recent email from ETB stating that because of wage increase due in October, a lot less teachers had applied for retirement this year. ETB is expecting a change once the increase comes through, and are looking for expressions of interest re potential retirements

• Advertisement

Enright wrote: »
    Recent email from ETB stating that because of wage increase due in October, a lot less teachers had applied for retirement this year. ETB is expecting a change once the increase comes through, and are looking for expressions of interest re potential retirements

Excuse my ignorance (I'm not in retirement mode yet).
    How would it affect retirement by holding off till October.
    Is that pension scheme cohort based on final salary?

yes, anyone up to 2011 start (i think) is based on final salary so it's worth hanging on for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yes, and the majority of teachers who would be retiring are teaching since the 80s, so they would all be in that group. I think the payrise is being applied on the 1st October. One of the teachers in my school is retiring on the 2nd.

Yes, and the majority of teachers who would be retiring are teaching since the 80s, so they would all be in that group. I think the payrise is being applied on the 1st October. One of the teachers in my school is retiring on the 2nd.

We had 2 retirements this year and it was out the gap before Summer, in fairness to them they took on the zooming and emailing like troopers.

Advertisement