Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawnmower

Options
  • 14-04-2020 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Anyone know of a good quality commercial lawnmower?
    I have a house with a big enough garden and we go through a lawnmower every 5 years? They start to loose hp etc, bring to repairs shop, they just stick it to full hp
    It's all Briggs and Stratton engines

Was thinking of a honda? But most of the ones are honda engines and some other make?

Would like to pay no more than 1000euro
    What about hyaundi, they make good cars?

It's walk behind lawnmowers I'm on about

Appreciate your honest replays

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,693 ✭✭✭✭listermint

may i direct you right here...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055635176

All will be revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have a trusty Husqvarna to cut a half acre that has been abused for 8 years and still going very strong. Its a Briggs and Stratton engine and apart from a oil, plug and air filter change every 2 years starts on the first pull every time and has been reliable. They can be spec'd as honda engines but I find the honda's can be harder to start although admittedly my experience is a cement mixer and generator.

Normally the smaller B&S engines outlast the mower, some of the larger ride on engines have weak carbs for example (nikki).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I see CastleGarden has got favorably mentioned more than once in the past on the Great Big Lawnmower thread. They can come with B&S or Honda engines. I know someone who has a lawnmower with a Honda engine and it has being very good to him. In my head he has had it 5 - 7 years so far. This guy is bloody rough. Granted they would be cheap enough banger's and his line of work does not help but if a car lasts him much more than a year he is doing well. That's a good testament in my mind!

I've had a push Mc'Culloch mower for over 5 years myself now with a B&S engine in it. The body is in tatters now. In particular the brackets holding the wheels to the body are badly stressed but the engine is not bad at all to be fair. I haven't exactly being kind to it either and it was the bargain basement end of the market so fair to say it owes me nothing. Hosing down the underside after every use will go a long way to prolonging a modern lawnmowers lifespan greatly as rotting stuck on grass will cause them to corrode.

Anyway how about this CastleGarden mower with Honda engine in photo 2 of this ad as an example and it would be well below your €1k budget.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/lawnmowers-special-offers/24555791

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi

I had a prolawn with a 6.75 190cc B&S engine - it has just come to the end of its useful life now.
    Engine is still good but the deck has rusted through.
    Bought it in Woodies - current models in the same range go from about €359 to €599 (the €599 has a HONDA).

I would have to be honest, I did not look after the motor as well as I should/could have.
    It was worked very hard for the first 3 years cutting a half acre on a hillside (usually when the grass was 6 inches high).
    Last couple of years its used on a smaller (1/4 acre) - but I will be looking at the same again,
    Only problem is that I don't want to spend €599 on a mower - so looking for cheaper alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rlady

I bought a Weed Eater lawn mower 2 years ago and I was very pleased. I also recommend that machine. If you don't like it, there is also a Ryobi lawnmower. You can search.

• Advertisement
Advertisement