Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front garden with hedge/tree stumps

Options
  • 11-07-2020 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for ideas for how to cover/disguise hedge/tree stumps in my front garden.

They are along the border wall and pretty much impossible to remove without a small digger or something.

I’ve been applying diluted jeyes fluid to the stumps to try and stop them growing anymore.

Any help much appreciate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭newportlad

newportlad wrote: »
    Hi,

Just looking for ideas for how to cover/disguise hedge/tree stumps in my front garden.

They are along the border wall and pretty much impossible to remove without a small digger or something.

I’ve been applying diluted jeyes fluid to the stumps to try and stop them growing anymore.

Any help much appreciate

Photo attached

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Even though I had to get vertigo to look at the sideways pic, I can't really see the issue here.

Could you post again the right way up!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If its the three little stumps by the wall, you could put in a shrub either side and they will disappear under the shrub and eventually rot away. Anything that grows outwards rather than up would cover them, a prostrate conifer or a ceanothus (Californian Lilac) or something that sends out runners like a vinca. What kind of effect are you looking for?

newportlad wrote: »
    Photo attached
    another photo

Even though I had to get vertigo to look at the sideways pic, I can't really see the issue here.

Could you post again the right way up!

Sorry! Having trouble uploading pics for some reason

This pic should be better

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    If its the three little stumps by the wall, you could put in a shrub either side and they will disappear under the shrub and eventually rot away. Anything that grows outwards rather than up would cover them, a prostrate conifer or a ceanothus (Californian Lilac) or something that sends out runners like a vinca. What kind of effect are you looking for?

Better pic attached

Thanks for all those tips.

Not going for any effect in particular, just something that would hide the stumps and blend in with the rest of the garden.

It’s the stumps at the back wall and on the side wall, they are all along the two walls just some are hidden by the flower pots we have

It’s a real work In progress, not sure how we want it to end up like

ceanothus do look very nice, might try that

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you go with ceanothus you need to look for a prostrate form to keep it low and spreading, there are some that will grow quite high. A ground cover rose would work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I wouldn't use Jeyes fluid on stumps unless you're trying to preserve them. It'll kill the organisms you want to break them down.

If they show signs of regrowth use a proper systemic weedkiller.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

Hi there

Drill a few holes in the stumps to help speed the natural degradation, and as Lumen suggested stp using the jeyes fluid..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

They are TINY! :) Elbow grease will sort those. Just pick up your pick-axe or a shovel, dig around them and pull up the root.

Edit to add. THIS is a stump, still managed to dig it out.
    SdxZqoLm.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement