Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1960's kitchen dresser restoration

Options
  • 08-05-2021 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi guys ,I'm going to have a go at restoring this kitchen dresser and I'm looking for advice on best way to strip paint from it ,I think it's mostly ply and maybe pine doors ,maybe some one of you guys might be able to give me other tips on how to approach it thanks regards redoak

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

redoak wrote: »
    Hi guys ,I'm going to have a go at restoring this kitchen dresser and I'm looking for advice on best way to strip paint from it ,I think it's mostly ply and maybe pine doors ,maybe some one of you guys might be able to give me other tips on how to approach it thanks regards redoak

I'm not sure what 'good' paint strippers you'll get off the shelf these days as they seem to have taken all the (fun) good stuff out of them. Failing that a heat gun and a scraper. Just be mindful that if it's had multiple layers of paint the earlier one are likely to contain lead so a good mask and preferably lots of ventilation is a must.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, i did one a few years back and ended going down the heat gun route - as mentioned, the paint stripper you get now takes geological time to work - but do it outdoors.
    you'll obviously need to take the glass out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 redoak

Thanks Spitfire IV and magicbastarder
    for that advice ,by the sounds of it no need to try the paint removers ,I used nitromers 15/20 years ago and it was good stuff,I was hoping to use all the hardware again as the unit has sentinemental value so I was hoping to get the parts chrome plated .Anyone have experience of this or what company did yea use .One last thing ,I was thinking of paying a kitchen company to respray it ,I just think the finish looks so good compared to a brush ,is this a good idea ,?? Thanks guys ,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭cletus

Nitromors used to be excellent stuff, but since 2006 they have removed one of the main active ingredients, dichloromethane, and it is no longer as effective as it once was.

I haven't found any other brands to be particularly effective, either

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cunla

Not a woodcrafter but saw the heading and wanted to see what the 1960s dresser looked like as we have one. We didn't strip it or anything but used chalk paint - Annie Sloan or similar - as that can be painted on without much prep work. Went with cream frame and yellow doors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Conservation Technologies in Drimnagh sell paint stripper that works, and is not highly poisonous.
    That dresser looks like it just needs sanding and painting, and no need to strip it, if you got 120 grit Abranet it would make the sanding easier.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

You can still get a top grade aircraft paint stripper from some auto suppliers.
    Expensive stuff, but it will strip 50 year old car paint down to bare metal in minutes.

As well as skin, ect,ect. Only to be used outside with respirators.

Thanks Guys for all the advice ,I cant wait to get started on it ,I only collected it on friday and am working all weekend,It was my grannies so id like to use all the original parts except maybe clear glass ,as it will hold the good china .
    Every thing is in great shape except wear on the guides on the drawers ,mostly the delf drawer,and sagging bottom shelf .The ply back has a little damage at the bottom but hopfully ill repair rather than replace a section.
    Yes cletus Nitromors are gone all eco friendly,so i will try the heat gun and see how that goes .
    I would rather remove all the paint and return it to looking crisp if possible ,if i dont have much luck with the heat gun ill try the stronger paint removal products ,
    Thanks kadman and ,tabby aspreme .I will keep yea posted and ill post an after picture,.
    Also Cunla id love to see how yours turned out ,or any one else that may have experience pictures or ideas on the subject.. thanks again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one thing i've seen in relation to the use of the newer, weaker paint stripper (albeit used on stripping bike frames for restoration) is people using cling film to prevent the stripper from evaporating, which was an issue i ran into when trying to use it - it takes much longer to work so it drying out becomes an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

redoak wrote: »

Hi Red,
    A diy paint stripper that works really well,

cheap too

Bloody dangerous though without good sense and some PPE, can be done safely by sensible folk though.

although naturally safety precautions need to be taken as the stuff is caustic.
    Take 2 litres of water
    A bottle of Caustic soda drain cleaner,
    a packet of wallpaper paste

its impotrant that caustic is added to water and NEVER water to caustic, considerable heat is generated as it dissolves and splashes BURN, READ infor on PACKET....

mix wallpaper paste into the water caustic solution until nice and gloopy, paint onto your piece of furniture, wait some time, watch, rinse off thoroughly with a hose, finish with a hose and stiff brush (watch for splashes rubber gloves eyeglasses etc apron, you know th e drill)
    REpeat if necessary,

tim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

A lot of this kind of budget furniture was made post WW2 when all they had was softwood and cheap ply.I'm not sure it justifies putting a lot of money into it. Personally I hate chemical strippers and use a 3M paint and varnish stripper wheel when I have to remove paint. It fits on an electric drill so best used outdoors. Difficult to find at times but google is your friend.
    Otherwise I'd use spray can primer and topcoat for a better finish.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I would strongly advise against using caustic soda.

It can go wrong with drastic results. Unless you have previous experience of using this,
    and know the EXTREME danger you may be exposing your self to.

K.

it's the treehugger in me, but i'm usually very slow to strip via abrasion, especially outside if lead is a concern. wouldn't want all that dust floating around the garden and landing on the soil.
    and i know there's no completely environmentally friendly way of doing this.

Well guys here is the finished product

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Great job!! 👍👍

My Gran had one the exact same as your restored pic, that brought back some memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Hi Redoak, cabinet restoration looks great, you could replace the obscure glass with clear glass if you want to show the china, it would also leave more light in and our of the cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

Good job, I also think a washboard glass could look well in the doors.

Thanks, guys for all the nice comments,

I might replace the glass for a clear,or even the washboard glass in the future but ,I wanted it as it looked when it was in my Uncle's house ,so the Glass might change when we get the good china set...

Advertisement