Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

diy t&g panels ?

Options
  • 01-06-2016 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

So,

What do people think ?

1. Use proper t&g boards @ about 5yoyo a sq meter
    2. Buy sheets of t&g mdf @56 yoyo a sheet 9mm
    3. Route groves into a sheet of mdf 18 yoyo a sheet 9 or 15mm

I dont have a huge area to cover, its the back of a book case.

My pref is for t&g boards but it might never look as good as the mdf

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

T+G boards can be made in workshop but you need good equipment including a table saw, thicknesser and a router table with feather boards. I have made them as thin as 8mm but they need to be carefully routed under control. They will contract after a few months exposing small gaps so remember the 'tongue' will be exposed. If you don't have a router table its possible to make a 'loose tongue' with veneer coated 4mm ply by cutting on a table saw but that's a lot of work. 4mm ply is available with the usual American veneers including ash, teak and mahogany and is fine to use on its own as the back of a cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Dimensions and your taste permitting, perhaps a pack of wood-effect laminate flooring might suit you?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

If it is going to be painted I'd go for a sheet of MDF and route 2/3mm grooves in it with a V bit. Mark out lines and run the router against a straight edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Router the 18mm with a v cutter.Cheap and handy. Not too time consuming either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Its the back of a cabinet fellas - you don't want something that weighs a ton.:D
    For quality work like a dresser I think T+G boards made from the same wood look better but if its just basic storage then any sheet panel up to about 8 mm would do ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement