Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legalise abortion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Jakkass wrote: »
    I would say a very very small some. Most people who would be pro-life are concerned with the right to life.

I agree. It was just one example of many odd statements on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I'd imagine it would be begrudgery only to those who believe that inequality is merited.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Sorry, but such criteria are very dangerous. To begin with you have effectively dehumanized anyone who is not self-aware; from the severely mentally handicapped through to comatose patients. Of course, you could start introducing multiple exceptions to your rule, but I would think the need to do that simply demonstrates that you don't have a very cogent argument to begin with.

Actually I do not think the users argument is bad at all, but just badly phrased which led you quite rightly to question it as above. However maybe I can work to clarify it some?

The difference is that the faculty of consciousness is present in these people despite the fact it is not operating within normal parameters. This is not so with the Fetus and the difference here is very distinct.

At certain points in development that faculty just has not developed. No "person" has formed. You can not "dehumanise" it therefore.

In my view our rights come from us. There appears to be no other source for them, despite some inventing an external one without evidence sometimes. It is our human consciousness these rights come from, that decides what they will be, who will get them and how to enforce them. I do not find it a leap therefore to say it is TO human consciousness we assign them too.

This leads me to the view that once this faculty forms the person receives those rights and keeps them until death do they part. This is regardless of handicap, coma etc and is why the users argument does not lead to the conclusion you believed it did.

Of course the hardest part is to find out the exact cut off point when consciousness forms first. "Where do you draw the line".

Just like gravity most people do not know where it is, where it comes from, where it starts and ends. However like gravity if it is entirely absent it is more than apparent. The necessary components form at different points. To take one example of many I have read while scouring peer reviewed paper after paper before forming my opinions on abortion.
    K.J.S. Anand, a researcher of newborns, and P.R. Hickey, published in NEJM say "intermittent electroencephalographic bursts in both cerebral hemispheres are first seen at 20 weeks gestation; they become sustained at 22 weeks and bilaterally synchronous at 26 to 27 weeks.

Most components of human consciousness do not START to form before 20 weeks let alone reach completion and even if you build in a grossly exaggerated 20% safety margin because some develop faster than others you reach a very safe Pro-choice cut off point of 16 weeks which does not fall into any of the pitfalls you are astute enough to direct at the previous user.

Of course this argument does not address the issues of those who think we are messing with god's plan or that the soul enters the zygote at the moment of conception etc. or that rights come from such an external source.

If such an god entity were shown to exist my entire argument above would fail entirely as the source, origin and starting point of morality and rights would be entirely different from where I have assumed it to be and I would have to re-think my position entirely. However thus far in 19 years of asking, not one person has shown me a single shred of a scrap of evidence for said entity and since we can not assume data we do not have I am feeling pretty secure at this time.

My full essay on this subject you can read here if interested:
    http://www.atheist.ie/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1554&start=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

This assumes that human consciousness is the standard for life. This is disagreeable with many, as biological life exists in the foetus much sooner than 20 weeks. Biological life including growth and development.

Not at all. It assumes that human conciousness is the standard for MORALITY and RIGHTS. Not for Life. Many things are "alive" but we do not assign them rights. So this is not really the claim I am making sorry. However maybe I can be a little clearer to help out...

If you read the linked essay you see that I mention the biological view of when "Life" starts is too problematic to use in this discussion. I will quote the relevant part:
    Take someone who says life begins at conception. However the cells that go into creating a human being are "alive" also. The contradiction is if life BEGINS at conception then if the cells that go into creating a human are alive what has BEGUN here? For something to BEGIN something has to either start that was not there before, or has to restart after being stopped. This is what BEGIN means. However this clearly hasn't happened.

In fact considering the sperm AND the egg were biologically "alive" before conception and after conception only the zygote is alive, if you want to play with arithmetic then DEATH actually occours at conception not LIFE as 2 living things became 1 living thing. Further...
    There is a little known to the general Joe but very common occurrence in the zygote that hammers a hole right into the "at conception" argument. Imagine the cell is a "new life" for a moment.

Often the cell splits into twins. More often than you think. What has happened here? Has a new life popped up AFTER conception? This kills the "all life is at conception" idea. Or has the life of the one become two halves? I would love to see you tell twins they are only half-alive!

Why are there not more twins then if this happens so often? Well because often, for no reason we know yet, one twin REABSORBS the other. What happened here? Did half alive twins become one? Did one murder the other? Is one life suddenly dead, or if you are religious cast into eternal limbo as an un-baptised soul?

No it is not "Life" we assign human rights to. It is, like I said, assigned to the same part that thinks it up in the first place.

Is it though? I think that is disagreeable in itself. I personally would consider peoples right to live to be inalienable indistinguishable of whether or not their brain has fully formed yet.

You're only saying the following: Killing is entitled because this child is less developed than you are. There's something I find fundamentally uneasy about that.

N.B Citing your own essay can't be considered by any means authoritative in a discussion. You're also bringing in notions from Catholicism into the discussion. Even when I have reasoned on this subject with Christians I do not argue from the perspective of the soul but rather on inalienable human rights.

I undertand what you mean and am far from unsympathetic to it. To be a little tounge in cheeck however I find chewing gum and chewing with ones mouth open disagreeable. However personal feelings of unease are not exactly killer arguments in a debate on any issue are they? Although difficult for most people to do it is worth drawing a line between what is distasteful to YOU and what should be legally enforced on the masses.

There appears to be no other source or rights other than the faculty of human conciousness. We have found no other source, are aware of no other source and have no evidence for any other source. Without the human mind and conciousness therefore this concept of "rights" would not even exist.

Why it is, therefore, a leap to suggest that it is TO this faculty we assign those rights, I am a little unclear on. The inalienable right you refer to would appear to be wholly assumed as a consequence of this and although I think RABTMOUSE had a terribly bad GENERAL argument when he said:
    If you don't agree with it- then don't have an abortion: simple.

It is a good argument in SPECIFIC cases and I would think this is one of those cases. If there appears to be nothing wrong with something except for PERSONAL distaste, then simply do not partake of that something and I would defend to the death your right to do so / not do so.
    Jakkass wrote: »
    N.B Citing your own essay can't be considered by any means authoritative in a discussion.

Nor am I aware of claiming it was. I merely did so as a short cut to re-writing the entire thing again.

However personal feelings of unease are not exactly killer arguments in a debate on any issue are they?

If they involve death, it's a bit more serious than chewing gum. I would have thought that you would have enough intelligence to discern that much given what I have seen of you before.
    Although difficult for most people to do it is worth drawing a line between what is distasteful to YOU and what should be legally enforced on the masses.

I don't subscribe to moral relativism, it's flawed, and it will lead to a world which is worse than the one which we currently live in. I consider abortion by demand to be something barbaric, and should be rejected in a reasonable age which respects reasonable rights.

Morals to me are universal, I will need better than "whatever floats your boat" particularly when it involves death.
    There appears to be no other source or rights other than the faculty of human conciousness. We have found no other source, are aware of no other source and have no evidence for any other source. Without the human mind and conciousness therefore this concept of "rights" would not even exist.

In a secular sense, the community who is governing affairs is the one who gives the rights. This is what the utilitarian Bentham would have argued. It isn't that one has to have a consciousness to be given rights, rather it is us as a legislature who grants rights. Hence why in Ireland abortion by demand is firmly illegal. We have chosen to endow the right to life as a community to it. However, I don't really believe that we give or take rights at all. They are truly inalienable to me.

In a Judeo-Christian sense, it is God Himself who would offer these rights. The US Declaration of Independence is roughly summing up what we are speaking of here:
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
    It is a good argument in SPECIFIC cases and I would think this is one of those cases. If there appears to be nothing wrong with something except for PERSONAL distaste, then simply do not partake of that something and I would defend to the death your right to do so / not do so.

No it isn't. If it denies other peoples human rights it isn't that easy, and if one does not subscribe to moral relativism it's even more difficult. I find it appalling to take ones liberty away from them before they are even born.
    Nor am I aware of claiming it was. I merely did so as a short cut to re-writing the entire thing again.

We haven't dealt with the concept of the soul yet, therefore the essay isn't all that relevant. If we wanted to discuss the soul we could be here all night. We have the works of the Greeks, the Hebrews, the Muslims, and so on. I regard the soul as something mysterious to us. The concept of human rights is far more tangible.

Jakkass, do not reduce this conversation like others to commenting on each others intelligence. I stated perfectly clearly that I was being tongue in cheek with my example. If you choose to ignore that part of the paragraph and attack the rest than the problem does not lie with me. The point I am making is clear. Personal distaste is not an argument against something for everyone else. If you want to ignore the point and attack the example instead then I am not sure where to go from there.

As far as I can see there is no other source of human morals or rights other than US. You can call them universal or “inalienable” or (“unalienable” as you did in your quote) if you like, but this does not make it so. Find them. Are they under the rocks? In the sea? Up a tree? Find another source for them other than us and I will instantly re-evaluate my entire position.

They may be “inalienable“ to YOU as you say, but they are not to me and this appears to be wholly assumed on your part. The “human rights” come from us. We decide them and grant them and I do not find it a leap to suggest we assign them TO the part that they come FROM.

So when you say things like “I find it appalling to take ones liberty away from them before they are even born.“ you entirely miss my position. I am not taking anything away from anyone because a) they don’t have it yet and you can not take what someone does not have b) there isn’t even a someone to have them yet in the first place.

• Advertisement

Unless we can have the same understanding of rights, this discussion is futile. I think rights exist as ideals irrespective of whether or not Governments give them out. Not respecting rights makes it a bad government.

Even if I take your assumption, we have decided to keep abortion on demand illegal in this country. That is what the people have decided in the past and no doubt even in the present. Even if people resented this right, it still doesn't mean the right to life doesn't exist.

The difference is that the faculty of consciousness is present in these people despite the fact it is not operating within normal parameters. This is not so with the Fetus and the difference here is very distinct.

At certain points in development that faculty just has not developed. No "person" has formed. You can not "dehumanise" it therefore.
    However, you are actually dehumanizing it by choosing criteria for defining a human being and saying it is not human because it lacks them.

Additionally, the use of such criteria requires numerous caveats such as "not yet developed" and "operating within normal parameters" as otherwise it would cover plenty of other individuals. Indeed, what are "normal parameters" - after all, senility ultimately hits us all if we live long enough (some at 60, some at 120).

On the other hand, from the moment the egg splits, however, we have a distinct and healthy biological entity of the Homo sapian species - a human. In a supportive environment, it will develop to maturity - something that does not happen until long after birth. And Homo sapian's need supportive environment's, be they wombs (natural, or in the future artificial) or an oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere with access to food and water. Before this point, this cannot happen - eggs and sperm will not develop to become mature humans.

Occam's razor would appear to point to the latter definition, while the former - subjective criteria, caveats and all - increasing looks like something that is desperately attempting to prove an end that was chosen from the onset.
    In my view our rights come from us. There appears to be no other source for them, despite some inventing an external one without evidence sometimes.
    This is why I consider the use of such subjective criteria to be so dangerous. You define a person by merit of consciousness. But our species is not alone in its possession of consciousness - should we extend the definition to other species?

As I've said, before long your basic premise becomes overburdened with caveats; consciousness, or if you should under normal parameters have consciousness, or if you have had consciousness in the past, and only for Homo sapians - ad infinitum et nausium. When you need to plug so many holes in a definition with caveats, you really should be asking asking yourself if you're not just going down the wrong track.

And all of which rests on how and when we define conciousness - another grey area - or if we should not be using other abstract criteria altogether, such as sentience, IQ, race, age or even eye colour. By comparison, there is no ambiguity, no need for caveats if we define humanity from a purely biological perspective.

Up until about five years ago, this is where my logic concluded, and I would have considered myself pro-life as no one had ever made any reasonable argument that would have deflected my above criticisms. Then, oddly enough here, someone put forward the argument that the right to life does not override all other rights, thus making whether the foetus is human or not potentially irrelevant.

The right to life is not absolute, after all. It is morrally justifiable to take it in self defence, many also would think likewise in scenarios such as war or capital punishment.

Likewise, if you can save another's life by donating a lung (a procedure that would negatively affect your health but not kill you), you cannot be forced to donate, even though it would mean the death of the other person. The same can be argued where it comes to the bodily integrity of a woman because there is no alternative environment for the foetus at present.

Given this, while the above has certainly caused me to revise my view on the subject, I genuinely cannot say whether it would be morally right or wrong and so I find myself in a bit of an impasse.

Fortunately I can skip over this impasse.

Presently the "right to choose" is exclusively reserved to women. This means that she may terminate a pregnancy or go to term and keep the child. A man, on the other hand, has no means of choosing either way; if he wants to be a father and she does not to be a mother, then tough. If he does not want to be a father and she does want to be a mother, then tough. Resulting in a gross inequality in reproductive rights that have far reaching consequences long after the matter has absolutely nothing to do with a woman's bodily integrity (this is an important bit). Not a terribly popular viewpoint and it tends to be met with dismissive clichés, I'll admit, but rationally sound.

But taking this into account, then the impasse is however resolved; either abortion is morally wrong or it is not morally wrong - and if the latter, it represents a simple question of rights, in where one really cannot support a right that is flawed due to it's exclusive nature.

However, you are actually dehumanizing it by choosing criteria for defining a human being and saying it is not human because it lacks them.

Well I am afraid by that logic I am dehumanising EVERYTHING that is not human. Cars. Birds, chairs, trees, the sky and just about everything else. If this is your only criteria for dehumanising something then I plead guilty to it every second of every day and I have no problem with that. In THIS context I am referring to "Humans" as that which deserves "rights" and since the fetus up to 16 weeks has not even STARTED to develop the faculty of consciousness, I see no reason to "humanise" it in this context and assign it rights. Not a single reason at all.

Just because something CAN develop into an entity to which we can assign rights does not mean it gets those rights up front before it becomes that entity.
    You define a person by merit of consciousness. But our species is not alone in its possession of consciousness - should we extend the definition to other species?

As I said, since it is FROM our consciousness that the notion of rights comes from I think it is also TO that we assign it. If you find another conscious species which holds this concept of rights then by all means let us re-open the discussion and talk of extending the definition to them. I am not aware of any animal which holds a concept of "Right to life" however, are you? In fact we alone seem to be the only species that is aware that it is definitely going to die.
    As I've said, before long your basic premise becomes overburdened with caveats; consciousness, or if you should under normal parameters have consciousness, or if you have had consciousness in the past, and only for Homo sapians - ad infinitum et nausium. When you need to plug so many holes in a definition with caveats, you really should be asking asking yourself if you're not just going down the wrong track.

But I have no such caveat and have no need of them. I simply say you attain rights when you first attain consciousness and you retain them until you die. Where is the caveat? Or are you making the error of referring to my whole premise as a caveat to itself?

How can you dehumanise something that is not human? Isnt that like decarnivoring a carrot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I simply say you attain rights when you first attain consciousness and you retain them until you die.
    I'm curious what's so special about consciousness, I mean assuming you lose this how come it is not relinquished ?
    For example by your standard if I get hit by a train and suffer permanent irreparable brain damage, because I was once conscious my family or the state can't take the logical decision for say economic reasons to terminate my unnatural existence? That's seems unusually harsh and cruel.
    What of those who seek euthanasia, should they also be denied cause of this miraculous 'consciousness' ?

I'm curious what's so special about consciousness, I mean assuming you lose this how come it is not relinquished ?
    For example by your standard if I get hit by a train and suffer permanent irreparable brain damage, because I was once conscious my family or the state can't take the logical decision for say economic reasons to terminate my unnatural existence? That's seems unusually harsh and cruel.
    What of those who seek euthanasia, should they also be denied cause of this miraculous 'consciousness' ?

What about fainting spells? Can you be aborted during one of those and it be ok?

What about during sedation?

• Advertisement

Well I am afraid by that logic I am dehumanising EVERYTHING that is not human.
    Correct - or in some cases even when they are human.
    Just because something CAN develop into an entity to which we can assign rights does not mean it gets those rights up front before it becomes that entity.
    But it already is that entity, what defines it's rights are the criteria you have mooted - it's still the same entity, just as a person in a coma is.
    As I said, since it is FROM our consciousness that the notion of rights comes from I think it is also TO that we assign it. If you find another conscious species which holds this concept of rights then by all means let us re-open the discussion and talk of extending the definition to them.
    You are confusing conciousness with sentience - and for that matter civilization. Otherwise you could potentially define primitive tribes that have not developed "this concept of rights" (which concept is another thing, as there is disagreement there) as not meriting rights.
    But I have no such caveat and have no need of them. I simply say you attain rights when you first attain consciousness and you retain them until you die. Where is the caveat?
    Most vertebrates have consciousness, so you need a caveat for that. If you mean sentience, then you need another caveat so that we don't legitimize the euthanasia of the severely mentally handicapped.

That's before you ask the questions like whether it makes sense to define a person by a criteria and then, even if they no longer qualify, because they had it once, the criteria no longer applies - another apparent caveat.
    Or are you making the error of referring to my whole premise as a caveat to itself?
    No, your premise is an argument constructed around an expected conclusion and to do this you need to constantly shore up its flaws - weak induction.

An example of this kind of reasoning was the question of whether the Earth goes around the Sun or vice versa. It had become evident by the Renaissance that it really didn't make much sense to put the Earth at the centre, however it did not stop many devising caveat after caveat rule to shore up the problems that they were finding with that model, because this was the conclusion they wanted to have.

I've offered a much simpler definition. There is no ambiguity, it is easily and objectively measurable (conciousness is not), needs no caveats because it cannot be lost and is unique to our species. So, ask yourself, are you choosing the messier argument because it is the best or because you need to arrive at a specific conclusion?

Given this, all I am defining is a person, not whether it has a right to life. That is another argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

What about fainting spells? Can you be aborted during one of those and it be ok?

Clearly there's a difference between a temporary state and a permanent one.
    Lets be honest some people are better off dead, this idea that because you had the misfortune to inhale oxygen it now means you will be forced to live no matter what your circumstances or the effect your condition has on others is a nonsense and an unnecessary cruelty.

I covered this but maybe you missed it. No problem repeating it though. Consciousness is where the notion of rights comes from. It is that part of us that makes it up, decides what it should be, who it should be assigned to, how it should be enforced and so on. Therefore it is not a leap to suggest it is TO this faculty we assign it to. It is for that reason mainly I elevate it's importance in this context.

It is harsh and cruel, however this is not something I have ever said or a position I have ever espoused, so I do not feel any need to defend myself from it. We have many rights and those of next of kin and passing the power of medical decisions to same when we are not capable are among those I would fight for.

Quite the opposite. I feel that a persons life is their own and any decision that is not directed at anyone else should be theirs alone and not even any of our business. If someone wants to die, they are more than welcome to do so in my book.

Not at all. Alas this is an easy question to have to ask as we have the same word for two different things. The faculty of consciousness and actually being awake (being conscious) are two different things with, alas, the same term for both. It is to the former and not the latter that I direct my points. Corinthian above suggested "Sentience" is a better word to use. I really do not care which I use, once my clarification of what I mean is accepted.

Corinthian,

I am so far not aware of dehumanising anything that actually is human. However we can jump between definitions of human until the cows come home in order to make it look like I have. “Human” could be a cancer cell or “Human” could be an entity with a conscious mind. If we jump from definition to definition we are not going to get anywhere.

In the context of this discussion alone I am referring to “Human” as anything that has attained the faculty of consciousness (You suggested sentience might be a better word, I bow to the suggestion but we both know what we are talking about now so I will stick to the word I have been using thus far) as I believe it is to this faculty we assign rights and not to human DNA, human flesh, human hormones or human blood. That said, I am dehumanising nothing in this conversation as nothing to which I refer has become human and it is just a blob of flesh to which some here would assign rights that usurp that of the actual human living mother.

All that is happening is you are calling it "Human" based on one set of criteria, I am by another, and since mine negates yours you are accusing me of dehumanising it. The only thing I am deumanising is YOUR definition in the context of THIS discussion and I have no regrets at doing so.

As I said, I require none of the caveats that exist in your head as I have not been presented a situation where I required any.

Not that this would even be relevant if I did, as it would be a funny world where everything has to be black and white and if it needs caveats or sub clauses it is somehow void. Given a world where any strong law or moral we have has innumerable exceptions, caveats and clauses this does not wash. Even murder has a range of sub definitions from manslaughter to murder in self defence to murder in the category of crimes of passion. With your reasoning it would be better to allow murder for all rather than have to put up with all these pesky caveats.

So not only does my position NOT suffer from the requirement of caveats you are ascribing to it, I find such a requirement irrelevant to voiding the position anyway.

• Advertisement

I am so far not aware of dehumanising anything that actually is human.
    That does not mean that it is not human or, by extension, you are dehumanizing it. We can discuss the semantics of this point all day, if you like.
    However we can jump between definitions of human until the cows come home in order to make it look like I have. “Human” could be a cancer cell or “Human” could be an entity with a conscious mind. If we jump from definition to definition we are not going to get anywhere.
    Actually, "human" refers to a member of the Homo sapian species. A cancer cell is not, neither is a human finger. To be human you need to be a) Homo sapian and b) possessing of your own DNA. All other definitions are ultimately philosophical assessments of what 'it means to be human'.
    In the context of this discussion alone I am referring to “Human” as anything that has attained the faculty of consciousness (You suggested sentience might be a better word, I bow to the suggestion but we both know what we are talking about now so I will stick to the word I have been using thus far) as I believe it is to this faculty we assign rights and not to human DNA, human flesh, human hormones or human blood.
    I suggest we switch to the correct term - sentience. Conciousness is simply awareness of the outside world, and in this all animals have 'conciousness'.
    That said, I am dehumanising nothing in this conversation as nothing to which I refer has become human and it is just a blob of flesh to which some here would assign rights that usurp that of the actual human living mother.
    We're all 'blobs of flesh' ultimately, so that is an irrelvant observation. It is also living and genetically independent. I am also not suggesting that even if human it should have be capable of 'usurping' anyone else's rights - however, I can understand how one would have a harder sell on abortion unless it can be defined as non-human.

I would contend that you have begun with the premise that it is not human and then worked backwards to prove this premise, to the exclusion of all other options. I suspect it is because for you, like all of us, the idea of killing a baby is just unpalatable.

I actually began with the premise that it may or may not be human and have come to the conclusion that it is, because the proof is far simpler and requires fewer 'refinements' than the contrary. At the same time, I am not convinced as to its rights even if human, because many of the pro-Life arguments also require convoluted caveats to allow them to stand up.
    As I said, I require none of the caveats that exist in your head as I have not been presented a situation where I required any.
    Now, that's not actually true. If you do not, then all concious organisms should be afforded the same rights. If we are talking about sentience, then infanticide should be allowed as infants do not develop sentience until later in development. And if sentience or conciousness is lost thereafter then also we can remove those rights - after all, that is how you define a person.

All of these are flaws in your definition - they are not in my head - and require you to add caveats to your original definition so that it does not fall apart.
    Not that this would even be relevant if I did, as it would be a funny world where everything has to be black and white and if it needs caveats or sub clauses it is somehow void.
    That's true, however in science, when you need to continually add caveats to a theory, you do have to consider the real possibility that it is flawed. I even gave a historical example of this to illustrate.

A more current example are the attempts to reconcile Creationism with science; because this process is ultimately bound to certain assumptions, it means that caveat after caveat need to be added to any theory that tries to explain the physical universe - otherwise it would fall apart.
    Given a world where any strong law or moral we have has innumerable exceptions, caveats and clauses this does not wash. Even murder has a range of sub definitions from manslaughter to murder in self defence to murder in the category of crimes of passion. With your reasoning it would be better to allow murder for all rather than have to put up with all these pesky caveats.
    Not at all. Remember, I have not actually said it is morally wrong to terminate a foetus, all I have done is define one part of that question. A murder may be self-defence or manslaughter or whatever, but ultimately we can clearly state that a person has died and that another one was, at least partially, instrumental.
    So not only does my position NOT suffer from the requirement of caveats you are ascribing to it, I find such a requirement irrelevant to voiding the position anyway.
    I've raised a number of flaws in your definition that require caveats (or refinements if you prefer that word). You can pretend I have not, but they're clearly stated.

Your definition of human does not help here. It is not to Human DNA that comes up with “rights” and it is not TO human DNA we assign them. Therefore whatever your subjective definition it does not seem applicable to this conversation. Nor do we assign rights to “blobs of flesh” either.

If we are talking about the “rights” of a fetus it seems before we talk about anything else we must decide at what point a fetus attains these rights. I see no other case of us assigning rights to non-sentient / conscious entities, whatever word you want to use. Nor do I see any other source of rights.
    would contend that you have begun with the premise that it is not human and then worked backwards to prove this premise, to the exclusion of all other options.

Entirely false. I started with the notion that rights come from the human faculty of higher consciousness and it is to THAT we therefore assign said rights. I worked up from there.

The entire rebuttal to my position seems to be that this fetus has the potential to BECOME that which we assign rights to, therefore it should get those rights. However I am also not aware of any situation where we execute rights based on what MIGHT be but usually on what IS. We do not lock people up because they are potential murderers, nor do we release them because they are potential rehabilitants. We act on what we know to be true NOW.

I fail to see why your subjective definition of „Human“ is any more relevant or valid than mine in this context.
    Occam's razor -it is simpler and requires few, if any, caveats to allow it to function.
    However suffice to say that it is not Human DNA that comes up with “rights” and it is not TO human DNA we assign them. Therefore whatever your subjective definition it does not seem applicable to this conversation. Nor do we assign rights to “blobs of flesh” either.
    I'm not discussing rights. I'm discussing definition of a (human) person.
    If we are talking about the “rights” of a fetus it seems before we talk about anything else we must decide at what point a fetus attains these rights.
    You're jumping ahead. Just because someone has rights in one context, does not mean they have it in other contexts. As I said, I am not actually discussing whether the foetus has rights per say, only whether it is a (human) person.
    I can see no other case where we give rights to an entity before it has attained this level of consciousness, or sentience or whatever you want to call it. Use whatever term you like, it is clear what I mean.
    Odd argument, and false. Irish law gives rights to an entity before it has attained this level of consciousness, or sentience, in its existing abortion laws, for example.
    Entirely false. I started with the notion that rights come from the human faculty of higher consciousness and it is to THAT we therefore assign said rights. I worked up from there. I thought that part at least, if nothing else I have said, was clear but your above quote seems to suggest you missed it as you have entirely misrepresented my thought process on this. So it is worth not going any further than this point until it is entirely clear.
    I'd believe that if you did not seem absolutely obstinate to retain that initial notion, despite your need to continually shore it up - let's be honest, most would have, at this stage, admitted that maybe the initial premise was flawed and perhaps it was time to test a new one.
    However as I said my position on this is entirely falsifiable. If you find another source of rights that is external to that of the human mind then I would be forced to rethink my position vastly. “God” has been suggested to me a few times as such a source but not one person has given me a shred of a scrap of evidence this entity exists so thus far I am secure in my position.
    Your position is entirely falsifiable though different means. The most obvious one requires no divinity; there are better - simpler, less dependant on exceptions, more objectively measurable - definitions out there.
    The entire rebuttal to me position seems to be that this fetus has the potential to BECOME that which we assign rights to, therefore it should get those rights.
    No. Potential is irrelevant - citing that it will grow to maturity is only to demonstrate that it is a separate and distinct organism.

And I actually have not mentioned rights. I've actually repeatedly pointed out that even if human, that does not assure it of any rights.
    However I am also not aware of any situation where we execute rights based on what MIGHT be but usually on what IS. We do not lock people up because they are potential murderers, nor do we release them because they are potential rehabilitants. We act on what we know to be true NOW.
    Hence the definition I put forward - a) Homo sapian and b) possessing of your own unique DNA. Do you see any 'potential' mentioned?

Sorry your post dissections are getting impossible to follow now. If you dissect any more you are going to have a reply after each word I write. Reading over it has become the visual equivalent of staring at a zebra crossing while driving quickly over it. Not to mention the fact you ended up spending so much time at it you ended up quoting a long since edited post.

However we are going to keep going in circles because your entire definition of human appears to be irrelevant to this conversation as yours is entirely taxonomy based and you will get no argument from me on it. I wholly agree with you on it.

The problem is highlighted by you saying “definition of a (human) person”. In terms of Taxonomoy you will get no argument from me on what you have said so far. In terms of RIGHTS however, which is where a conversation on abortion ought to start, it is the “person” that I am referring to here as human in terms of “Human rights”. Not the blob of flesh and its contained DNA.

We should not assign rights based on DNA. We should assign it based on the fact we have the faculty of higher consciousness and this aspect of us has come up with this concept of rights. As such a fetus to a given point, certainly until 16 weeks, has not even BEGUN to develop this faculty and as such I see nothing to assign rights to.

Sorry your post dissections are getting impossible to follow now. If you dissect any more you are going to have a reply after each word I write.
    Go back to my original post then, I've not actually changed my argument.
    The problem is highlighted by you saying “definition of a (human) person”. In terms of Taxonomoy you will get no argument from me on what you have said so far. In terms of RIGHTS however, which is where a conversation on abortion ought to start, it is the “person” that I am referring to here as human in terms of “Human rights”. Not the blob of flesh and its contained DNA.
    If it is not a "(human) person", then it's a slam dunk - it cannot have rights, but if you accept that it is a "(human) person" - as you just have - then it becomes an issue.

As to the answer to this issue of whether it has rights, what those rights are and how those rights interact with the rights of other "(human) persons", well that's another argument. However, arguing that a person has no rights based upon a subjective, arbitrary condition will not get you far. A more rational approach would be to look at how any rights might interact with the rights of others - just as we do with everyone else.
    We do not assign rights based on DNA.
    We do. Lot's of them. Inheritance for one.

Arguably we ultimately assign all rights from the starting point of a biological entity with unique homo sapian DNA, rather than more philosophical criteria such as sentience. Otherwise Dolphins would probably have the vote.

Now you seem keen to change what I am actually saying. You just said:
    but if you accept that it is a "(human) person" - as you just have

Which is entirely the opposite of what I am actually saying. Please, if you do nothing else, keep your words out of my mouth. I have clearly enough of my own.

What I am saying is that in terms of Taxonomy you are right to call it “Human” and in terms of rights you are right to call it a “person”. There is a huge difference here but your entire approach seems to be to put the words together “Human Person” and so attempt to argue for rights for the fetus by proxy.

And no, we do not give rights based on DNA. We still give it to the conscious human being. You give Inheritance as an example. The DNA does not inherit. The person does. The way you put it it sounds like a persons membership card is actually the member of the club, not the person himself. In fact much inheritance is thusly club based, not DNA based, which is why spouses inherit too. The inheritance is based on who is a member of this "club" and DNA is only one of the membership cards for this. In fact in many places the spouse inherits before the children do.

This is in fact the exact point where we are talking past each other. The person with the DNA inherits. The DNA does not. The DNA does not have rights. The person does. This is exactly my point and I thank you for the analogy.

Similarly the DNA does not have rights, the person does, and hence in the conversation on abortion I see no reason why the fetus should be assigned rights just because it is a piece of human DNA. DNA does not have rights.

As far as I know in inheritance, the unborn can not inherit anyway can they? Which sort of plays to what I am saying. If there is one child and one fetus and no other next of kin the living child inherits right? Seems the law is at least one step in the right direction if this is true, but I admit I am not sure on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I think it's a "no brainer" that abortion is wrong, so I don't think it should be legalised.

I understand it is a complex issue though. For example, I am ok with the morning after pill because I personally believe a bunch of jizz and an egg at conception isn't really a life, but I do think a semi-formed baby after a couple of weeks most definitely is a life.

I also disagree with the culture of people using abortions as a type of birth control.

Which is entirely the opposite of what I am actually saying. Please, if you do nothing else, keep your words out of my mouth. I have clearly enough of my own.
    Fair enough. I misread you.
    What I am saying is that in terms of Taxonomy you are right to call it “Human” and in terms of rights you are right to call it a “person”. There is a huge difference here but your entire approach seems to be to put the words together “Human Person” and so attempt to argue for rights for the fetus by proxy.
    If it is a human person it undoubtedly has rights. What those rights are and how far they extend is another matter. For example, if I need a lung transplant, I cannot force a doner to give one to me, even if it means my death.
    And no, we do not give rights based on DNA. We still give it to the conscious human being. You give Inheritance as an example. The DNA does not inherit. The person does.
    You mean the person afforded the right to inherit by virtue of DNA - not difficult to understand.
    This is in fact the exact point where we are talking past each other. The person with the DNA inherits. The DNA does not. The DNA does not have rights. The person does. This is exactly my point and I thank you for the analogy.
    I don't think you understand the analogy. The DNA confers rights to the person - not to the DNA. Also a foetus is not DNA, it possesses DNA. Again, not complicated.

No one has suggested that DNA has or should have rights.
    As far as I know in inheritance, the unborn can not inherit anyway can they?
    Interesting point, however yes they can. You can inherit even before you're born - but it would likely be held in trust until you reach adulthood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Is a fetus always a fetus, even 5 seconds before a woman gives birth? When does it become a child? What's the difference between a child inside a womb, or outside? Does it not have the same capacity to think, to feel?

Again you are saying much I agree on but it falls apart too soon.

First in terms of Taxonomy I agree whole heartedly with you. DNA is enough to make you human in this sense. However DNA does not get rights and you are wrong to say that DNA allows you to inherit. DNA is just one membership card that allows you in the “club”. You can inherit by marriage or by adoption too which has nothing to do with DNA at all.

Secondly you say if it is a Human Person it has rights and I agree wholly with that too. The issue is WHEN it becomes a person. Where is the line drawn and why. I certainly can not see it being at conception for example. A chunk of DNA is not a person. A sperm and egg do not get rights. What is added when they join that suddenly gives them rights? I can see nothing. What about after the first split? The second split? The third? Where is this magical moment? For me it is clear and easy. When the faculty that creates the notion of rights arises in the fetus, the fetus attains these rights. For it is that faculty that makes us a “person” in the context of rights.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    Is a fetus always a fetus, even 5 seconds before a woman gives birth? When does it become a child?
    I think a foetus is being referred to here as a convenient term for an unborn human. Medically the term applies only from the second trimester, I think.
    What's the difference between a child inside a womb, or outside?
    Maturity.
    Does it not have the same capacity to think, to feel?
    No it does not - at least not until later in a pregnancy. This appears to be the basis for the argument that it is not a person. Problem is that the capacity to think or feel is not limited to our species and the lack there of is not shared by all of our, post-natal, species - which is what complicates this definition.

Is a fetus always a fetus, even 5 seconds before a woman gives birth? When does it become a child? What's the difference between a child inside a womb, or outside? Does it not have the same capacity to think, to feel?

I think this is essentially the conversation we have been having for the last handfull of posts. I am trying to distinguish between the Human (which it is even before conception depending on your view) and the Person which I am trying to say is what we assign rights to. The Person gets rights not the DNA that makes it human.

To that end I have suggested that the rise of consciousness in the fetus is a good cut off point for deciding abortion issues. This faculty needs MANY things to operate and I find that few of them have even started development, let alone reached completion, even as late as 16 weeks. I therefore argue that this is the sensible cut off and not Birth for example which you ask about above, or conception as some would have it.
    Does it not have the same capacity to think, to feel?

We just do not know that one. As soon as consciousness forms we have no idea what it is to subjectively experience it. Do they think, feel, emote, remember, anticipate... who knows? Any who says they do is just guessing. That is why I direct my arguments and my cut off point at the START of the development of consciousness and not the middle or end. We simply have no way to know what the subjective experience of the developing child is once these parts of it start to fire.

First in terms of Taxonomy I agree whole heartedly with you. DNA is enough to make you human in this sense. However DNA does not get rights and you are wrong to say that DNA allows you to inherit. DNA is just one membership card that allows you in the “club”.
    You are simply stating your position.
    You can inherit by marriage or by adoption too which has nothing to do with DNA at all.
    That does not invalidate my point that DNA alone will qualify one for inheritance.
    Secondly you say if it is a Human Person it has rights and I agree wholly with that too. The issue is WHEN it becomes a person. Where is the line drawn and why. I certainly can not see it being at conception for example. A chunk of DNA is not a person.
    Genetically it is.
    A sperm and egg do not get rights.
    No one has suggested this. Quite the opposite - sperm or eggs do not have unique DNA. A zygote does.
    What is added when they join that suddenly gives them rights?
    Unique, individual, homo sapien DNA.
    For me it is clear and easy. When the faculty that creates the notion of rights arises in the fetus, the fetus attains these rights. For it is that faculty that makes us a “person” in the context of rights.
    Then you will have to accept infanticide, as that faculty does not appear until long after birth.

Again DNA alone is only one membership card. It is no more important that marriage or adoption. Inheritance is not based on DNA, but on a human formed conceptual group of people who can inherit who become part of this group through many avenues. As such, and as I have been saying, the person gets these rights not the DNA and their access to those rights is based on varied criteria only one of which is DNA. Mere words written on a piece of paper usurps DNA and with the stroke of a pen you can disinherit anyone of DNA relation... and even in the cases of some countries I have read about... anyone of your own species (Wont look now but citation available on demand of people leaving their wealth to their pets)

And actually I have to correct your science if you will allow me. Sperm and Egg in fact DO have a unique DNA. Your DNA is made up of 2 “stripes” of uniquely coded information. Each strip is unique but is repeated in every cell of your body.

However recombination occurs when the gametes (the name for sperm and eggs) are formed giving an entirely unique sequence. So if for example your two strips were:

ABCD
    EFGH

Your sperm could be:

AFCD
    or
    EBGD
    etc

Which is a unique sequence of DNA that exists no where else in the universe, or at least is so unlikely to exist anywhere else that it is not worth discussing and I would be surprised if you can find a calculator within your pay bracket that can display the number after you raise 2 to the high enough power to calculate the probabilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

The conciousness/sentience argument has far too many 'exceptions' to be workable, aside from the obvious medical/scientific difficulties of actually determining a point at which conciousness/sentience has occurred/not occurred.

The 'unique individual living entity' is also somewhat problematic given the identical twin issue, but at least it is a more definite and, lets be honest, a more credible solution than trying to juggle the science to fit in with a rational beginning point for 'life'.

But, at the end of the day, none of our rights are absolute, whether we are born or unborn, especially where they impinge on the rights of another. A born child doesnt have anywhere close to equal rights to autonomy and privacy, even his right to health is severely curtailed by his parent's own views. The right to life of an adult ranks below the right to health of another adult in certain circumstances. All of our rights are subject to and rank below the common good, even the right to life in certain circumstances.

So why do we have such a difficulty with admitting that a foetus is human, is a life, but that certain of its rights rank below that of certain of the rights of the woman whose body it inhabits? Where and how to balance these rights is the eternal question, but pretending that we need to dehumanise a foetus in order to justify abortion isnt necessary and is usually a dishonest exercise of squeezing a square peg into a round hole in order to justify a particular viewpoint that has already been arrived at.

drkpower wrote: »
    difficulties of actually determining a point at which conciousness/sentience has occurred/not occurred.

I both agree and disagree here. You are entirely right that this is an area difficult for us to measure. It IS hard to determine this exactly but I think it is not an issue as we do not need it exactly. Let me explain.

The analogy I give is matter and gravity. We barely know where they come from, what they are, why they are there, where they start and end and so on. However that aside it is not difficult at all to identify a point when they are ENTIRELY absent. If matter is not there you know it. You have empty space in front of you. If gravity is not there you realise it when your head hits the roof.

It is entirely the same with consciousness/sentience. We know many of the building blocks of it, even if we do not know all of them, and when they are entirely absent we know consciousness/sentience is too.

The trick then is to decide such a point and I went to GREAT lengths to do so. I read about all the things required in science journal after journal*, I read about when each on STARTS to form in the fetus, I picked the earliest of all of them and then I added a grossly exaggerated safety margin to allow some fetus’ to develop faster than others.

This left me with a comfortable 20 week cut off point before the safety margin, and 16 weeks after it (completely arbitrary 20% reduction, no reason behind it except I wanted it to be TOO much).

==============
    * One example I cite I will re-paste here as I have it to hand…

K.J.S. Anand, a researcher of newborns, and P.R. Hickey, published in NEJM say "intermittent electroencephalographic bursts in both cerebral hemispheres are first seen at 20 weeks gestation; they become sustained at 22 weeks and bilaterally synchronous at 26 to 27 weeks.

Like I said we do not know at what point conciousness rises. Maybe 20 weeks when it starts? 22 when it is Synced? Or not until it is sustained? We simply do not know.

However at 16 weeks, it plain and simply is not there

I both agree and disagree here. You are entirely right that this is an area difficult for us to measure. It IS hard to determine this exactly but I think it is not an issue as we do not need it exactly. Let me explain.

Even if you can (which I doubt given our relatively primitive understanding of this area of science/medicine) make such a scientific estimation and add 'zones of safety', you are still left with the consequences of deciding that human life derives only from conscience/sentience (do we devalue those at the other end of life who have neither, or the born child that has never developed conciousness/sentience).

And of course, if you decide that a foetus below whatever cut-off point is not a 'life', a 'being' or whatever, then does it have absolutely no rights as a result? Should there be any restrictions on the manipulation of embryos, foetus'?

Lets say you determine 20 weeks as the cut off: Can an 18 week old foetus' be used for scientific research, either in utero (with the mother's consent) or ex utero, when the science has developed methods to allow the very early foetus survive ex-utero.

While i can see the sense in your argument, it doesnt fully take account of the moral, scieentific and legal complexities involved. We need to get away from the idea that there is a clean black and white solution here, one where we can allow abortion (up to a certain point) while happily pretending to ourselves that it doesnt involve the ending of a life. It does. But as i have already stated, that does not mean that we abortion is not justifiable.

Yes, I think at this point it should have absolutely no rights. None. It is not a human in this sense, but a blue print for a human. It is about as much a human to me as my IKEA instructions ARE the wardrobe I am building. I feel absolutely no discomfort in saying this.

I understand the appeal to emotion standing behind the question and I do not complain for having it asked of me. It is worth asking. I know myself that even at an early stage that emotionally this is a different thing. They developing zygote become more than a blue print, but the emotion representation of the hopes and dreams of the parents at times. However this is the parents rights and dreams then.

I have no qualms in saying I do not see any reason to assign it rights. Not one. The appeal to emotion inherent in the question is not an issue for me, though I can understand why you ask it.

Again DNA alone is only one membership card. It is no more important that marriage or adoption. Inheritance is not based on DNA, but on a human formed conceptual group of people who can inherit who become part of this group through many avenues.
    Again; I have not said it is solely based on DNA. I have said that DNA alone can qualify one for inheritance rights - if they have the DNA, they need no further criteria.
    Mere words written on a piece of paper usurps DNA and with the stroke of a pen you can disinherit anyone of DNA relation...
    Actually you can't in most (Western) countries. In Ireland, for example, you can intentionally omit (disinherit) someone, but if they are a son/daughter they still retain the right to challenge and overturn this - a right afforded by DNA alone.
    And actually I have to correct your science if you will allow me. Sperm and Egg in fact DO have a unique DNA. Your DNA is made up of 2 “stripes” of uniquely coded information. Each strip is unique but is repeated in every cell of your body.
    Incorrect. Sperm and ova do not posses DNA (a genome would be more correct) - they only have half (23 chromosomes). Human genomes have 46 chromosomes - 23 chromosome pairs.
    The 'unique individual living entity' is also somewhat problematic given the identical twin issue, but at least it is a more definite and, lets be honest, a more credible solution than trying to juggle the science to fit in with a rational beginning point for 'life'.
    Never suggested it is the perfect definition, only that it is the best I've come across, largely as most other definitions tend to be too heavily dependant on the axioms they are attempting to validate. I'm open to others.
    So why do we have such a difficulty with admitting that a foetus is human, is a life, but that certain of its rights rank below that of certain of the rights of the woman whose body it inhabits?
    Because we're squeamish, I suspect. One can rationally and logically argue that even someone is human they do not necessarily have a right to life, but we are not comfortable with that on an emotional level.

• Advertisement

And again I tell you this is not so. DNA can be usurped and they can have all the DNA they want and inherit nothing. With the mere written word and my signature it doesn’t matter how closely related someone is to me, they will get nothing. They can “Challenge” it all they like, they are “guaranteed” nothing. DNA therefore is not all they need. They need a case.
    Incorrect. Sperm and ova do not posses DNA (a genome would be more correct) - they only have half (23 chromosomes).

Incorrect, they indeed do. You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts I am afraid.

Sperm* contain chromosomes**, which contain DNA***, which is configured in a unique to the parent string of information. So yes sperm DO have DNA and yes they ARE unique.

* Sperm: They contain only one set of chromosome
    ** chromosome: A threadlike linear strand of DNA
    ***DNA : an extremely long macromolecule that is the main component of chromosomes

and just for fun here are some articles on sperm DNA:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/06/050621095150.htm
    http://www.scientific.org/tutorials/articles/riley/riley.html
    http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/del428v1
    http://ec.europa.eu/research/infocentre/article_en.cfm?id=/research/headlines/news/article_09_10_21_en.html&item=Infocentre&artid=13393
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article2658737.ece

and my personal fave :)

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2009-06/esfh-dsh063009.php

And again I tell you this is not so. DNA can be usurped and they can have all the DNA they want and inherit nothing. With the mere written word and my signature it doesn’t matter how closely related someone is to me, they will get nothing. They can “Challenge” it all they like, they are “guaranteed” nothing. DNA therefore is not all they need. They need a case.

Incorrect, they indeed do. You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts I am afraid.

That's true, except in some countries [not in this one.] They can challenge a will, but just as much as anyone else can.

I said they have a right to inheritance. I never said anything about guarantees.
    You seem to be relying upon pedantry at this stage.

You seem to be relying upon pedantry at this stage.

Oh come off it. If someone pointing out that science DOES say something that you claimed it does not is pedantry then I am afraid I am likely to be a pedant for life and I will never apologise for it. Your claim is either correct or incorrect and it can not be both. In this case it was entirely incorrect.

You can not back up your position with totally inaccurate science, nor am I admonished to let it pass either. You clearly said sperm does not contain DNA when it does. You clearly said its DNA is unique when it in fact clearly is. SOME decorum please.

Yes, I think at this point it should have absolutely no rights. None.

Fine; I appreciate this is your view. I think that it is an incorrect one or at least a misguided one. The idea that completey unrestricted experimentation on foetus' aged 14-15-16-17-18 weeks (or whatever is a pre-sentience/conciousness foetus) is, well, wrong...!

And I have yet to hear a convincing argument why adults lacking sentience/conciousness and/or a born child who never had sentience/conciousness (for various medical reasons) should have any rights if the only criteria for human life is sentience/conciousness.

Oh come off it. If someone pointing out that science DOES say something that you claimed it does not is pedantry then I am afraid I am likely to be a pedant for life and I will never apologise for it. Your claim is either correct or incorrect and it can not be both. In this case it was entirely incorrect.
    The definition I gave for unique, independent DNA - that genetically it is an independent homo sapien, with all the genetic material capable of developing to maturity without further generic input from other parties - all it needs is a location to incubate, and after birth to care for it until it can care for itself.

This is actually what egg donation fertility treatment relies on - post fertilization the zygote is implanted into another woman, with no genetic connection to it. Even the 'father' may not be related as the sperm may have also been donated. It's not really that difficult a concept to understand.

Of course, not being a biologist, perhaps I really should have said genome rather than DNA. But then again, on another point of pedantry, we should not be referring to it as a foetus so liberally. And, more importantly, your use of the term 'conciousness' was incorrect - 'sentience' is what defines human higher functions, otherwise goldfish have 'conciousness'.

However, rather than dismiss your entire argument, I corrected your term, even addressed both. You on the other hand are now doing your best to use pedantry to dismiss my argument, when it could have been used against you. It's actually quite intellectually dishonest of you.

On which point, you have never properly defined your criteria for 'personhood'. We're still somewhere between 'conciousness' and 'sentience' and, other than using multiple caveats to shore up your definitions failings, you still have not really addressed how your definition would either include animals or exclude infants.

• Advertisement

Fine; I appreciate this is your view. I think that it is an incorrect one or at least a misguided one. The idea that completey unrestricted experimentation on foetus' aged 14-15-16-17-18 weeks (or whatever is a pre-sentience/conciousness foetus) is, well, wrong...!

Well since you put it that way. Wow. I did not realise I did not actually need evidence, science, argument, or debate. I just needed someone to call it "wrong" and thats that. My entire world view is changed :)

Sorry no Corinthian, you can not just change what you said. You clearly said “Sperm and ova do not posses DNA”. Yes they do. You quite clearly said “sperm or eggs do not have unique DNA”. They in fact do.

Now you are changing it with caveats of your own, which is comical after you being so obsessed with caveats before. It now has to be in an independent homo sapien and that independent has to be capable of developing to maturity.

So call it names all you like, pedantary or whatever, but I am in no way admonished to sit here and let you invent your own science and facts to back up a non-point and then put up with attempts to make me feel guilty for pointing out the errors.

Quite simply we do not assign rights to DNA, we assign it to the person, and there is no person to be found in a developing fetus and no such thing has even begun to form all the way to 16 weeks.

Well since you put it that way. Wow. I did not realise I did not actually need evidence, science, argument, or debate. I just needed someone to call it "wrong" and thats that. My entire world view is changed :)

Being a smartass doesnt become you; nor does repeatedly failing to answer the substantive question about born children who never had sentience or adults who have lost it, and why these entities are worthy of society's consideration when they do not have what supposedly makes one human.

And why, when you say here with such proud definitiveness, that the foetus with no conciousness/sentience is not human and has no rights whatsoever and that there is certainly no conciousness/sentience at 16 weeks, do you say, on the other thread on abortion in this forum, that the fact that 66% of women abort <9 weeks "comforts you"?

Is it possible you dont even agree with what you say yourself? Because if you genuinely believe that a foetus <16 weeks is an entity entirely devoid of rights ("as much a human to me as my IKEA instructions ARE the wardrobe I am building"), why would its destruction at 9 weeks or 15 weeks make any difference to you?

Im sooo confused.

1. I never knew that sperm didn't have dna.

2. What is sentience exactly? How do you measure it scientifically?

3. Why does it qualify your right to life moreso than being human does?

4. How do you know a foetus at 8, 9 weeks, or up to 16 weeks whatever DOES not have sentience, whatever that is?

5. How can you be confident in science technology to be able to detect and measure how old the foetus is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I think society should err on the safe side, and assume life starts a lot earlier rather than later. Unfortunately it seems a large part of society is pushing for later so abortions can be had after many months.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement