Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd hand tools/timber

Options
  • 06-06-2016 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey,

Im a teenager looking to aquire tools for woodworking, and of course im short on money.

Does anyone know places, people or websites where I can get some nice tools?

Also I live in North Kerry, would anyone know of places where I can buy timber (rough sawn hard/softwood) for my projects.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭imakebiodiesel

Look in your local phone directory for sawmills in your area. Most sawmills are happy to sell individual planks of native hardwoods like ash beech chestnut etc. For softwoods builders suppliers will stock most sizes. Examine the planks carefully before you buy. reject anything with cracks or twist or cupping. Salvage timber from skips is a good source of wood.
    For tools look on Adverts ie. Planes and chisels made 50 years ago are vastly superior to tools on sale today and cost a lot less than new tools.
    Good luck with your search for wood.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Local council recycle centre might also let you take stuff for recycling.

Ditto on the older tools quality.

Put your family and friends wise about what you want for chrimbo birthdays ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

It depends on what you want to make. The first shock is how expensive wood is to buy :eek: You can break up pallets but it will be low quality stuff. Pick your projects carefully and then source the appropriate timber. For hand tools #bay is your friend. Lastly, start saving for a planer/thicknesser as it will free you from having to stick to pre-dimensioned timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Deetroit

Thanks all.

Will definetely look into a planer/thickenesser.

And I've seen some nice chisels on adverts.ie and other tools on sites in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Deetroit wrote: »
    Thanks all.

Will definetely look into a planer/thickenesser.

And I've seen some nice chisels on adverts.ie and other tools on sites in the UK.

Should have said avoid cheap (Chinese ) tools in box sets. Just buy one tool at a time as you need them.Have a look at www.finetools.de for a good cross section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

recipio wrote: »
    Should have said avoid cheap (Chinese ) tools in box sets. Just buy one tool at a time as you need them.Have a look at www.finetools.de for a good cross section.

But quality and you will be only buying once. No point in buying cheap Chinese crap just to make do. Save up and buy a good quality tool that will last a very long time. That's what I always did and still do. I buy the best and it lasts forever

Get opinions on your intended purchases here, first. From the knowledgeable posters

What you think might be a bargain, may just be an expensive paperweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

safety must be a consideration here, so safety glasses, and ear defenders if using noisy tools.

Good quality dust mask, and, especially at your age, keep away from stuff like mdf and chipboard unless you have dust extraction to suit or maybe a face respirator.

Chip collection and dust extraction are different problems that require different solutions.

I am not going to try cover all the risks, just some from my own limited experience over 40 years.
    Some of the others here might chip in.

Be very aware of where your body is relative to where the tool may go at all times, especially with hand chisels.
    The same applies with power hand tools such as power planers, routers, angle grinders, jigsaws: very easy to take a lump out of the thigh.
    Table saws have an extra layer of danger over bandsaws as pieces can be ejected by the blade so never stand behind a piece of work being pushed into a table saw.
    Same for a planer/thicknesser.
    Chop saws can be dangerous as well, especially if the blade guard do not open and close properly.

This brings me to a general point:
    1: understand howe the tool works, especially any safety equipment.
    2: don't ever remove any safety equipment.
    3: always repair safety equipment.

You will over time become more at ease with your work and safety will become embedded in your style.

Your confidence will improve but never get over confident or careless.

Having said all that a good workbench and vice would not be a bad place to start, if you have the room.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057599686

Best of luck and we look forward to your Christmas 2016 exhibition.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Deetroit wrote: »

Also I live in North Kerry, would anyone know of places where I can buy timber (rough sawn hard/softwood) for my projects.

Thank you!
    There are beech planks for sale on done deal from a sawmill in Kerry at the moment.

There are beech planks for sale on done deal from a sawmill in Kerry at the moment.

As well as Yew planks for sale

• Advertisement
Advertisement