Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rates cards/Advertising for blogs

Options
  • 10-04-2012 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie blogger (being going since last summer) and of late have had several people contact me looking for advertising rates.
    I have searched around online for ages looking for advice but I haven't came across anything useful.
    Does anyone here know what the going rates are for Irish blogs? Ours is self hosted and currently is attracting quite a lot of visitors per month hence the interest from potential advertisers.
    Any advice or tips or links to articles anyone can provide will be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Are you set up to serve banner adverts?

If you're not you might want to look into it. Most advertisers will want a specific amount of impressions to be served, they may wants those served at a specific time e.g. after 12 noon for booze brands and they'll want comprehensive reporting.

Like any rate, it depends on the medium both numbers and quality of audience. Looking around there seems to be a rate card of €12 CPM. Which means €12 for every 1,000 ad impressions served.

If you have the traffic, you might want to consider using an agency to represent you. This means that they can sell you directly to advertisers and include you in network buys. You'd have a steady stream of revenue coming in but most agencies take a hefty cut (35%). Having said that, all you have to do is put the serving code on your site and they sell for you. You'd need to be in the 10K+ unique users per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are there ways to get set up to serve banner ads apart from using an agency?

I'm small-fry compared to the numbers you've qouted (about 500 page impressions per day), but with a very highly targetted audience (living in or visiting a popular Irish city with a population of 70k, and looking to find their way around, or to find very specific places).

Am starting to wondering about options other than AdSense.

I guess I'm looking for a "serving service" that will give me the code, but let me handle the ad-selling and loading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Depending what CMS that you use, you'll probably find a plug in or extension to manage ad serving on your page.

500 is a small audience and you might be better to sell a sponsorship of the site (or a page on the site) on an annual basis rather than banner ads. This means your sponsor would get a continuous presence on your site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

It all depends where the advertisement is placed.

On the homepage, charge more obviously - dictated by positioning too.

Advertisement