Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greeting as Geailge

Options
  • 10-05-2011 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I was just wondering that when you say hello to someone in Irish you say "Dia duit" (Literally: God to you.) and their reply to you is "Dia's Muire duit” (Literally: God and Mary to you.)

Now, here is the question, if you are a non Christian, would this not be seen as being offensive? We do live in an Ireland with so many other religions and cultures. Are there no other non religious greeting phrases to greet people....

The only one that I can come up with "Conas atá tú ?"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Maybe 'Cad é an scéal/craic?'

Haven't really spoken Irish since school, so not sure if the grammar is correct :o. You should get the idea tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

Offensive? No. Sure it doesn't specify which god, covering most religions. Leave out the muire bit if you like. And I honestly doubt atheists give a crap about it if they've any sense. Which they do.
    :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Nuggles wrote: »
    Offensive? No. Sure it doesn't specify which god, covering most religions. Leave out the muire bit if you like. And I honestly doubt atheists give a crap about it if they've any sense. Which they do.
    :D

This sums it up nicely. I've been agnostic since my mid-teens, but I always say "Dia is Muire duit" if someone says "Dia duit" to me. It's convention, I guess.

"Bhuel?" works nicely in an informal way, as do "Conas atá tú?" and "Cén caoi 'bhfuil tú?" I know the last one there is technically Connacht Irish, but I use it very often anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I've never once said it - I typically say "bhuel".. I don't care about convention, the language is evolving and I'm evolving with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Know exactly what you mean, I've been an atheist for years, and one of my friends knows this and when I said ''Jesus'' in a sentence which most Irish people do everyday for one reason or another as in talking the ''lords name in vain'', he actually said I wasn't allowed to say it as I wasn't Christian, I had to laugh.

Point is, I don't think anyone really looks at the religious aspect when saying hello in Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

It has it's roots in history...even in the Gaeltacht "helló" is widespread now.
    When Gorbachev met the Pope in the 80's the greeting, as Gaeilge of course, was said at the time to be "Marx dhuit" and the reply "Marx is Lenin dhuit"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭nbrome

Don't forget "goodbye" comes from "God be with you". We don't bother about that do we?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

nbrome wrote: »
    Don't forget "goodbye" comes from "God be with you". We don't bother about that do we?
    The Irish version is far more overt though.

OP: It doesn't bother me, areligious heathen that I am! I guess it's cos when spoken, it all blends into one garbled word. It's only when writing it down do I realise, oh right there's a "Dia" in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Daithi2004

nbrome wrote: »

As far as I am aware, it is the only language that has it saying based on religious believes. All I am saying is people of other religions whether they are other Christians or Muslim or Jewish would not hold Mary in the same reverence as Catholics do. I do accept the first part can be any god but it is the response "Mhuire Dhuit" that I don’t really understand the relevance in today’s society. As regards "Goodbye", I thought that was Slan Leat - "Your good health" of "safe well being".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

He meant "Goodbye" in English! Not the Irish translation.

It's not unusual for a language to have a religious element to their greetings. These are just some off the top of my head:

Austrian German: Grüss Gott (greet God)
    French: Adieu (to God)
    Hebrew: Shalom (a word for God)

Tbh, you're translating waaaay too literally. You gotta be descriptive, not prescriptive, with language -- always. My translations for "Dia dhuit" / "Dia's Muire dhuit" would be "Hello" / "Hello to you too".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

Yeah, people who speak Irish don't see that as "God and Mary be with you". It's seen as hello. Nothing else. You're reading too much into it. Taking translations too literal.

Advertisement