Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Finishing painted wood

Options
  • 04-06-2020 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys,
    I've been a hobbyist woodworker for the passed two or three years and I've some experience in using various finishes on different samples of woods e.g. various hardwoods, plywoods and MDF. Recently in one of my projects which is to be used externally and painted a certain colour I've sort of failed to figure out how best to finish the wood. The paint is Cuprinol, so it's not essential to finish it but for peace of mind I would like to. What I've come across is that I :

Can't use interior grade varnishes as I'm not sure they're durable enough.

Can't use exterior grade varnishes as they advise not to be used on painted wood.

Can't find a water based polyurethane topcoat (which appears to be the best type of varnish to use on painted wood) available to buy over the counter in Ireland. Could be that the stores are just low on everything right now due to Covid.

So my question to you guys is can you recommend any product that would work as a topcoat for painted timber to be used externally?
    Thanks in advance

Advertisement