Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to buy tyres (South Dublin)

• 03-06-2020 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭

Have to get tyres this week and it's been a while since I've had to do this, I'm a bit out of the loop. Car is an E46 330Ci so not a crazy amount of power going to the rear wheels but it is worthy of some half decent rubber. What brands are recommended and what ones are to be avoided? Not looking for a bargain but at the same time recommendations for Michelin PilotSport 4's aren't any good to me :o Also if anyone knows where in South Dublin I should go to that would be a bonus. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

Tyreland Kimmage. Never had an issue, reasonable prices and excellent service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Look at blackcircles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

I have some no name €75 tyres on my e90, 214km round journeys in rain, sleet, snow, all kinds of weather and never an issue.
    Couldn't justify €140 a corner when €315 buys four tires and a plug kit.

Mjolnir wrote: »
    I have some no name €75 tyres on my e90, 214km round journeys in rain, sleet, snow, all kinds of weather and never an issue.

They must have a name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They must have a name

Hardy, har, har you clearly know what I meant.
    Bored are we?

• Advertisement

Not at all, but if you’ve gotten great tyres that are also very cheap, surely you should share the make/model of the tyre with the OP?
    Otherwise what’s the point, when most cheap tyres don’t do what yours do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

I would also be interested to learn the name of these magic 75 euro tyres that perform well in all conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭CoBo55

This should be good, I love the tyres threads....

Ah lads, don’t be so cynical. Depending on the tyre size it’s doable.

Cynicism? On boards? Never...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

2nd Vote for Tyreland in Kimmage - Been using for them for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Get onto Rowan Tyres, he'll help you choose a set of tyres, and then call to your house to fit them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,260 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Get onto Rowan Tyres, he'll help you choose a set of tyres, and then call to your house to fit them

seconded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

CoBo55 wrote: »
    This should be good, I love the tyres threads....

I see what you did there...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Frank in Sandyford tyres, great service, good prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

OP, I have an E46 also (although it's only a 325) and it's got GoodYear Efficient Grips on the front and Asymmetric 3s on the rear.

By coincidence, it also needs new boots all around. I find the GoodYears to be excellent for grip, but there's 17k miles on the rear and they make a desperate racket now, so they don't get my vote. I really like the Efficient Grips, still a few mil of thread on them despite having 22k miles clocked up, plus they're usefully cheaper than Aymmetrics and are quiet.

Thing is if you've got 18 inch wheels and it's a Sport spec, then you can't have those tyres all around, as they don't do that tyre in 255/35 R18 that the rear tyres need.

When I asked about this question a few weeks ago, I was told not to get Dunlop Sport Maxx unless I want the traction control light coming on every time there is a drop of rain, and I was recommended Vredestein Ultrac Vortis (which have replaced Sessantas), these are reasonably priced and have gotten good reviews from other E36 and E46 owners.

Of course Michelin Pilots are considered the best, but they're quite pricey. I just want a change from GoodYears because of the racket my rear tyres are making on all but the smoothest of roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Cyrus wrote: »
    seconded

Thirded.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Cian86

Butler's Tyres in Harold's Cross. The guy who used have the "Vegan Tyres" sign out on the road.

Looks like a small one-two man outfit. Got 225/40x18 Bridgestone's there for €125 each, fitted, balanced, all-the-charges etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Thirded.
    Fourth..ed

James is the dude, works around you, rather than the other way round.

I still would dearly love to know the make of those €75 last forever tyres...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Mjolnir wrote: »

Let's face it, you didn't come on here looking to help the OP, you just wanted up humble brag that you use ditchfinders and think they're great. Bored were we?
    I'd recommend Black Circles OP

I had a look at Black Circles, they seem quite expensive

I had a look at Black Circles, they seem quite expensive

Price includes fitting though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Cian86 wrote: »
    Butler's Tyres in Harold's Cross. The guy who used have the "Vegan Tyres" sign out on the road.

Looks like a small one-two man outfit. Got 225/40x18 Bridgestone's there for €125 each, fitted, balanced, all-the-charges etc.

I use Butler's. I got a set of 4 for the wife's C3 for €200. It's a family set up AFAIK.

Gluten free tyres rather than vegan.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3280102,-6.2767812,3a,37.5y,83.85h,78.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shagsZbIoHUBvD9UGN77PYg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Cian86 wrote: »

Butlers is run by two brothers Peter and Jim, the showroom used to be Butlers Dairy run by their mother. I went to school with some of the girls, the garage has been there for donkey years, very good reputable service.:)

Having been there this morning, Bulters in Harold's Cross are good value, quick and efficient. I got Vredestein 225/40R18s for the front and 255/35R18 for the rear, and it came to €550, which is every bit as good as the prices I was getting online (when you add in fitting costs), maybe even a bit cheaper than one or two sites I tried.

Most importantly, they didn't damage my wheels (unlike some tyre centres). I would use them again.

Advertisement