Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Auto Electrician Cork

• 02-06-2020 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm looking for an auto electrician in Cork who would be good with a campervan. I have a Transporter T5. the battery died at Christmas and I got it jump started by a breakdown service and drove it around for a while with no issues. But then at the end of March it had died again so I bought a new battery. I've driven it a few times since then to keep it ticking over but when I went to take it for a little spin on Saturday, it was dead as a dodo! Obviously there is something draining the battery but I have no idea what it could be, how to check it or how to fix it!!

Can anyone recommend a place in Cork that I could bring my van to get this sorted out?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Hey guys,

I'm looking for an auto electrician in Cork who would be good with a campervan. I have a Transporter T5. the battery died at Christmas and I got it jump started by a breakdown service and drove it around for a while with no issues. But then at the end of March it had died again so I bought a new battery. I've driven it a few times since then to keep it ticking over but when I went to take it for a little spin on Saturday, it was dead as a dodo! Obviously there is something draining the battery but I have no idea what it could be, how to check it or how to fix it!!

Can anyone recommend a place in Cork that I could bring my van to get this sorted out?

Thanks!

In modern vehicles there is always a little drain to stuff like imobilisers, central locking, even a clock in the dash.
    In a fully charged 75ah battery a draw of just a couple of hundred milliamps will flatten the battery in fortnight.
    A small solar charger LIKE THIS or an isolator LIKE THIS could be the simplist and least expensive solution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Could be courtesy/door/bootlight stuck on / aftermarket stereo or alarm etc. My old van for example had and pioneer stereo and aftermarket alarm that drew 180mA, would flatten the battery in 2 weeks.

That tiny solar panel won't keep up with that kind of draw.

Isolator is a sure fire way but then you have no alarm.

If you have a multimeter you can narrow down the source easily by turning off ignition, by putting meter on amp range, disconnecting the battery positive and connecting multimeter between battery positive cable. If its flattening that fast you will find a draw of over 100ma. Then pull/replace fuses one at a time until it dramatically drops.

If the battery is flat it will need a proper charge overnight. Its a misnomer that a spin will recharge your battery from flat, you'd have to be driving around for 10 hours or more to get the charge into the high 90%.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭willthiswork

Could be courtesy/door/bootlight stuck on / aftermarket stereo or alarm etc. My old van for example had and pioneer stereo and aftermarket alarm that drew 180mA, would flatten the battery in 2 weeks.

That tiny solar panel won't keep up with that kind of draw.

Isolator is a sure fire way but then you have no alarm.

If you have a multimeter you can narrow down the source easily by turning off ignition, by putting meter on amp range, disconnecting the battery positive and connecting multimeter between battery positive cable. If its flattening that fast you will find a draw of over 100ma. Then pull/replace fuses one at a time until it dramatically drops.

If the battery is flat it will need a proper charge overnight. Its a misnomer that a spin will recharge your battery from flat, you'd have to be driving around for 10 hours or more to get the charge into the high 90%.

It has an aftermarket stereo alright and I got a camera fitted to the back recently that comes on when you turn on the lights. I wonder could that be drawing from it?

How would I charge it safely/securely overnight?

£23 for 1.5W!!! :eek:

Spare me.
    I'm getting 300w panels at €0.40 per watt.

An auto-sparkie will just throw a battery at it, and maybe an isolator if you're lucky, unlikely it'll be DC load breaking rated (ahem...). €80 p/h + parts.

Get a proper solar panel >100W and an automatic split charge setup.

jeA32aH.jpg

Proper Job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭willthiswork

jeA32aH.jpg

Proper Job!

Sir Liamalot, I think you are a much more accomplished person than me! Haha! I don't even know what I'm looking at in that picture!

Arah I'm just raising the bar!
    It's the best habitation electrical distribution hub in the country. :pac:

500W of Solar MPPT Charge Regulators Complete with DC rated Disconnects
    100A battery to battery charger.
    Low Voltage Disconnect Automation & priority ChangeOver (in back).
    Omni-directional Automatic Split Charge (in back)
    with Redundancy Alternator Split Charge System
    DC Disconnect rated Inverter Isolator
    DC Disconnect rated Load Isolator
    SubMaster Fuseblock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Google Jerry Hurley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

https://www.facebook.com/pedrosgaragebandon/

This guy was recommended by several engineers I work with, does work for a lot of the main dealers.

Advertisement