Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Been watching old gaa clips and matchs online over last week or two. Getting serious bloody withdrawals!!

I know there's much more important things to worry about but the summer and year in general won't be the same if there's no All Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Hi lads. Hope all is doing ok under the circumstances. No sport so lots of catching up with old games and interviews on tv, podcasts and Youtube.

I was listening to Wooly Parkinsons GAA Hour earlier and he was covering the 1992 All Ire final which we lost to Donegal. I watched the game on Eir last week. Was actually at the game as a 15 yr old too. My god we were brutal. Charlie Redmond was awful. Jack Sheedy not a clue. It was terrible.

The one thing i never realised was that after Dublin beat Clare in the All Ire semi final bizarrely Dublin had an open top bus parade down O Connell St. To barely any notice of people going about their business. Tommy Carr was so against it he didnt go on the bus.

Have to say this is one of the worst and most ridiculous things i've ever heard of in GAA. Or any sport. What were they at and who was responsible for this absolute bolloxology? I'd say even Pillar Caffrey wouldn't have agreed to such a stupid action.

Talk about complacency and tempting fate. No wonder we were so poor in the final.

I believe at the time the players lost focus altogether and Vinny Murphy said that they thought they just had to turn up.
    I was just thinking what another poster said Dublin are fierce lucky to have won the five in a row last year. Because if it was this year corona would stop it.
    Got the impression the poster was half joking at the time (before things got bad), looks like it is true now though!

Personally I am going through old match programmes, funny how it brings back memories.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Been watching old gaa clips and matchs online over last week or two. Getting serious bloody withdrawals!!

I know there's much more important things to worry about but the summer and year in general won't be the same if there's no All Ireland.

They could scrap the provincials and parachute div one, into the super 8's - desperate times desperate measures?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Definitely think there is a chance of no gaa this year timeline looks tricky unless they are happy to run it off quite late in the year . A lot of people will be slow to come out for games if there is even a tiny chance of another bout of a virus . Its seems unthinkable but there is no real end in sight yet I think hope I am wrong of course .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Definitely think there is a chance of no gaa this year timeline looks tricky unless they are happy to run it off quite late in the year . A lot of people will be slow to come out for games if there is even a tiny chance of another bout of a virus . Its seems unthinkable but there is no real end in sight yet I think hope I am wrong of course .

Yes you could be right. No real end in sight. Hard to believe whats after happening around the world.

• Advertisement

I believe at the time the players lost focus altogether and Vinny Murphy said that they thought they just had to turn up.
    I was just thinking what another poster said Dublin are fierce lucky to have won the five in a row last year. Because if it was this year corona would stop it.
    Got the impression the poster was half joking at the time (before things got bad), looks like it is true now though!

Personally I am going through old match programmes, funny how it brings back memories.

Players certainly lost the plot. But the players should have told whoever it was that decided to.parade down O Connell St after beating Clare in the semi final to go off and get their heads examined. Pathetic stuff. I couldn't believe it at first but seemingly its true.

They could scrap the provincials and parachute div one, into the super 8's - desperate times desperate measures?

There was rumors of them doing an old style All Ireland no back door no super 8s alright but I think unless something drastic happens we be lucky to get anything this year!

Yes i've watched quite a few old games on Eir and have enjoyed that.

I also think the GAA Hour are doing a good job doing a show on a paricular All Ireland from the past and having a participant of the winning team on for a chat and disecting the game and giving out a man of the match as if the game was just on the last weekend.

Wooly is not everyone's cup of tea but i've always enjoyed the show and it was a walk down memory lane to hear all these old All Irelands being discussed.

Shane Stapleton on Our Game on Youtube has some great content too.

Its tough with no live sport but im managing to get my fill of GAA so far.

I never kept hold of my old programmes in an organised manner. There might be a few around somewhere but i dont usually purchase them anymore unless its an All Ireland final.

I never kept hold of my old programmes in an organised manner. There might be a few around somewhere but i dont usually purchase them anymore unless its an All Ireland final.

I doubt they will exist in future as it will be moved to downloading online instead.

• Advertisement

I doubt they will exist in future as it will be moved to downloading online instead.

Could be worth a nice few bob if you had a good stash of old programmes. Be a nice collectors item in future.

That Donegal all ireland still haunts me was on the hill with almost the whole crowd elsewhere supporting Donegal .We absolutely thought we had it won before hand after the terrible Donegal mayo semi final .The worst thing that happened was the semi especially with the team watching from the stands . The next evening a terrible decision to have them on a bus to arrive at the mansion house with a tiny crowd of diehards in attendance . Will never forget that one although Donegal deserved their win on the day .

There was rumors of them doing an old style All Ireland no back door no super 8s alright but I think unless something drastic happens we be lucky to get anything this year!

Yes that would be more likely. Straight knock out. I think there may be some action in July/Aug. You could run a championship in that time. But i can see older people, say 60 and over (and esp 70 and over) not going to matches for a long time. But hopefully we will see some action.

That Donegal all ireland still haunts me was on the hill with almost the whole crowd elsewhere supporting Donegal .We absolutely thought we had it won before hand after the terrible Donegal mayo semi final .The worst thing that happened was the semi especially with the team watching from the stands . The next evening a terrible decision to have them on a bus to arrive at the mansion house with a tiny crowd of diehards in attendance . Will never forget that one although Donegal deserved their win on the day .

Crazy decision. Beyond stupidity. Not being wise after the event but any team that would do that deserves to have egg on their face.

We started ok but as soon as Charlie Redmond hit that awful penalty a mile wide it gave Donegal a big lift.

I couldn't believe how little fight we seemed to have in the second half. We went for goals when there was loads of time for easy points to reel Donegal in.

Vinny Murphy won a lot of ball but those around him were very poor. Dessie won that very soft penalty but didnt do much else. Jack Sheedy slipped the first three or four times he was near the ball and his performance slipped even further in the second half.

Charlie Redmond was deplorable. Have to say i never liked him. I may be one of the few Dubs that didn't but he cost us bigtime in two All Ire finals by missing penalties and also a Leinster final missed a penalty v Meath. To cap it off we were lucky he didnt touch the ball when he was sent off v Tyrone in 95 and refused to go off and played on. Imagine he had of scored a point. Tyrone would have got a replay. Even all the shaping for his free kicks, 6 steps here and three there and licking his fingers. Give me a break. Showman Charlie was all style and no substance imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We started ok but as soon as Charlie Redmond hit that awful penalty a mile wide it gave Donegal a big lift.

I couldn't believe how little fight we seemed to have in the second half. We went for goals when there was loads of time for easy points to reel Donegal in.

Vinny Murphy won a lot of ball but those around him were very poor. Dessie won that very soft penalty but didnt do much else. Jack Sheedy slipped the first three or four times he was near the ball and his performance slipped even further in the second half.

Charlie Redmond was deplorable. Have to say i never liked him. I may be one of the few Dubs that didn't but he cost us bigtime in two All Ire finals by missing penalties and also a Leinster final missed a penalty v Meath. To cap it off we were lucky he didnt touch the ball when he was sent off v Tyrone in 95 and refused to go off and played on. Imagine he had of scored a point. Tyrone would have got a replay. Even all the shaping for his free kicks, 6 steps here and three there and licking his fingers. Give me a break. Showman Charlie was all style and no substance imo.

My old man had a massive argument with Redmond when he was in the ambulance bringing my mother to hospital, Redmond tried coming the heavy with him, the old man would have been in his early 60s at the time

Ah he normally averaged about 8-10 points a game was very consistent on his frees. Despite or because of the ritual!

Could be worth a nice few bob if you had a good stash of old programmes. Be a nice collectors item in future.

I have over 20 years worth at this stage (when I started keeping them).
    There is a woman who sells programmes on ebay. Some real old ones dunno where she sources them. I got the 83 AI final one that way.

I have over 20 years worth at this stage (when I started keeping them).
    There is a woman who sells programmes on ebay. Some real old ones dunno where she sources them. I got the 83 AI final one that way.

Good stuff man. A nice collection no doubt.

Good stuff man. A nice collection no doubt.

I even have a few goffs snooker programmes with the B&H yellow long faded. That yellow used to put the players off if fans had them up in the crowd- lights reflecting. I remember getting a glare from John Street. But I don't think Charlie Redmond has those excuses for the pen misses though!

• Advertisement

I even have a few goffs snooker programmes with the B&H yellow long faded. That yellow used to put the players off if fans had them up in the crowd- lights reflecting. I remember getting a glare from John Street. But I don't think Charlie Redmond has those excuses for the pen misses though!

Haha. I was hoping that just maybe the World Snooker Championship might go ahead behind closed doors. But right decision to postpone it. Not sure when it will go ahead. I usually take a full week off to sit at home and watch it all day long. One of the sporting highlights of the year for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Haha. I was hoping that just maybe the World Snooker Championship might go ahead behind closed doors. But right decision to postpone it. Not sure when it will go ahead. I usually take a full week off to sit at home and watch it all day long. One of the sporting highlights of the year for me.

It used to be the sporting highlight for me but I fell out of love with the sport in my 20s. Last year I was stuck in thesis hell so I was at home a lot and I tell ya what, it was glorious just to have Eurosport on all day with it on.

No provincials and everyone into a hat with the first round seeded on current league placings and that will be that I would say.

You could feasibly play it off in 5 weeks.

It used to be the sporting highlight for me but I fell out of love with the sport in my 20s. Last year I was stuck in thesis hell so I was at home a lot and I tell ya what, it was glorious just to have Eurosport on all day with it on.

I never fell out of love with the game. Ronnie was my sporting idol for 25 years and i've had a great time following his progress. Lots of ups and downs throughout the years. I've always loved the game. And you're right about Eurosport. Best thing to happen to snooker was Eurosport coming on board to televise a lot of the big tournaments. They cover every session live in Sheffield. It's a snooker fest. Pity it's gone by the wayside this time but when all the sport does eventually come back we'll be in our element and enjoying it more than ever.

I never fell out of love with the game. Ronnie was my sporting idol for 25 years and i've had a great time following his progress. Lots of ups and downs throughout the years. I've always loved the game. And you're right about Eurosport. Best thing to happen to snooker was Eurosport coming on board to televise a lot of the big tournaments. They cover every session live in Sheffield. It's a snooker fest. Pity it's gone by the wayside this time but when all the sport does eventually come back we'll be in our element and enjoying it more than ever.

I think it was because BBC stopped their all day coverage that I lost my interest. Plus you know, girls and booze and rock and roll.

Used to watch the Snooker meself when i was a teenager. Lived in Rathmines at the time down the road from Ken Doherty s place in Ranelagh so i remember all the fuss there when he won the World Championship.

On several occasions today I just kept on thanking my lucky stars that we did the 5 last year. Phew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

On several occasions today I just kept on thanking my lucky stars that we did the 5 last year. Phew.

We're all going a little crazy. I wouldn't be a regular poster in here but I admire the characters who have such a deep knowledge.
    You guys go to games that most of us don't even know are on.
    I've being going to Dublin games since the start of the bad times. Straight after '95. Bit of a jinx up until recently.
    I love it. Crowd has dwindled but my big brother and me go everywhere with you guys. There will come a day when we don't.....
    Im a soccer man. Coach and train kids and my other love Is an English football team. Don't hate on me too much.
    But I'm missing my coaching and my Dublin days far more than anything else sport related.
    Yes Bonnie, so glad we witnessed that 5 in a row and decade....so glad.
    Sorry for long post..

Having serious Gah withdrawal symptoms at this stage, so I am. I would watch any live match at this stage, Junior or u14 division 8. No matter what the standard.
    And to think I thought I was genius - for NOT travelling to Omagh in the lashings of rain. Feel like I missed out now!

• Advertisement

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    We're all going a little crazy. I wouldn't be a regular poster in here but I admire the characters who have such a deep knowledge.
    I've being going to Dublin games since the start of the bad times. Straight after '95. Bit of a jinx up until recently.
    I love it. Crowd has dwindled but my big brother and me go everywhere with you guys. There will come a day when we don't.....
    Im a soccer man. Coach and train kids and my other love Is an English football team. Don't hate on me too much.
    But I'm missing my coaching and my Dublin days far more than anything else sport related.
    Sorry for long post..

Good man. Keep the chin up and please god we'll all get through it and be putting on our Dubs gear some morning in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Watched the replay of last years final
    Dublin made hard work in the second half looking back, Kerry were very poor I have to say

A brilliant dublin team though

C__MC wrote: »
    Watched the replay of last years final
    Dublin made hard work in the second half looking back, Kerry were very poor I have to say

A brilliant dublin team though

I wonder how this break is going to effect teams will take ages to get back into fitness. Could be some really odd results if the championship does ever start.

I wonder how this break is going to effect teams will take ages to get back into fitness. Could be some really odd results if the championship does ever start.

Thankfully we have all that money and all those individual gyms for every panel member.

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Sorry for long post..

You can't have it all.

My other love is an Irish football team who FINALLY got back to the big time only for this shít to hit.

You can't have it all.

My other love is an Irish football team who FINALLY got back to the big time only for this shít to hit.

You Rovers too? Super Hoops!

• Advertisement

You Rovers too? Super Hoops!

* spits *

Nope, very much a Shels man.

* spits *

Nope, very much a Shels man.

Haha fair enough lad. I thought you were referencing Rovers finally winning the FAI Cup again last year. We're cross city rivals so. But the Dubs unite us all. Even that Bohs mob.

Haha fair enough lad. I thought you were referencing Rovers finally winning the FAI Cup again last year. We're cross city rivals so. But the Dubs unite us all. Even that Bohs mob.

Well technically we are Ringsend rivals...

Yizzer still filth. :D

Very difficult to see any end to these restrictions that will see matches getting the all clear feel there is a real chance of nothing this year .This whole thing looks like dragging out till near the end of the year before things could be normal hope i am wrong .

Very difficult to see any end to these restrictions that will see matches getting the all clear feel there is a real chance of nothing this year .This whole thing looks like dragging out till near the end of the year before things could be normal hope i am wrong .

I can't see anything or much these year either, because unlike the majority of other top tier sports in the world - the GAA is amateur.
    The GAA are always willing to take a loss for the 'greater good' unlike the pure capitalist ethos of other sports.

It will more than likely be a write off,with the odd behind closed doors challenge game. Plus as the time drags on it will more likely mean playing big games in the bad weather. The GAA might not get as jammy as they did with the nice winter weather for the club AI's.

• Advertisement

anybody hear anything about the parnell pass this year usually renewals at end of the month .

1958 AI football Final Dublin v Derry (In Colour)

Way different style to football now, passion still the same though.

1958 AI football Final Dublin v Derry (In Colour)

Way different style to football now, passion still the same though.

Interesting to note that for all the ****e talk about Heffos Army bringing soccer style support into GAA that the hill was full of Dublin flags, even back then :D

Any Dubs here at the 1983 All Ire final? Just watched it back today. Was only 7 at the time so no memory of it.

What was Mullins and Duff at? Ridiculous red cards. An elbow that nearly decapitated Talty and Duff a cowardly boot in to the Galways lads face as he lay on the ground. Really poor form. The other two red cards were soft enough.

Very tough game. Dubs dominated first half and should have been more than 6 or 7 points ahead. Only for Mullins getting sent off they would have been in a very strong position but Galway had the aid of a gale force wind behind them in second half.

Dubs started second half with a Barney Rock free but then Duff got the line and even though we were 7 or 8 ahead we were in big trouble.

Galway started dominating possession and chipping away at the scoreboard but Dublin won a couple of very soft frees which Barney scored (one from 21 yards out which he hit so poorly the Galway keeper got both hands to it but the ball skidded off his hands and drooped over the bar) to keep the noses in front.

The last 10 minutes Galway were totally on top and got it to two points and missed a few easy points and a goal chance that Canavan blocked.

The Dubs fans were all behind and around the Hill endline with 5 minutes to go and a bit premature for the celebrating as even in the 2nd minute of injury time Galway dropped a free into the square which hit off the post/crossbar.

Even though i knew the result i was living on my wits watching it. Pure stressful. How the 12 apostles won the day i dont know but the celebrations from the Hill at the final whistle was a sight to behold. Are we Dubs born to suffer every All Ire victory? I aged 5 years listening to Michael O HeHir's magic voice there. Bloody heck, i'm off for a wee nap :)

Any Dubs here at the 1983 All Ire final? Just watched it back today. Was only 7 at the time so no memory of it.

What was Mullins and Duff at? Ridiculous red cards. An elbow that nearly decapitated Talty and Duff a cowardly boot in to the Galways lads face as he lay on the ground. Really poor form. The other two red cards were soft enough.

Not old enough to really remember either.
    But from Laochra Gael programme about Duff on TG4
    Duff claimed, the Galway fella (Pat O'Neill) made a meal of it. He did not even connect with his head. His wife asked the Pat O'Neill did Duff kick him in the head (at hotel meal) and the O'Neill said no.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/kieran-duff-dublin-laochra-gael-407149

"There was a kickout from the Galway keeper. As it was going over my head, Pat was holding onto my jersey and swinging out of me. Whatever way I spun around, I grabbed him and threw him to the ground.

I saw the referee was looking that way, the linesman was looking that way, I just walked over to him, as much to say, 'Would you just get up off the ground and stop acting the clown?' I gave kind of a toe-poke to him.

It looked like I had kicked him in the had but as he said himself afterward that I made no contact and if I did make contact, it was with his arm or shoulder. It was the crowd's reaction that done me.

My next thought was, 'shít, we're down another man.' "

Not old enough to really remember either.
    But from Laochra Gael programme about Duff on TG4
    Duff claimed, the Galway fella (Pat O'Neill) made a meal of it. He did not even connect with his head. His wife asked the Pat O'Neill did Duff kick him in the head (at hotel meal) and the O'Neill said no.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/kieran-duff-dublin-laochra-gael-407149

"There was a kickout from the Galway keeper. As it was going over my head, Pat was holding onto my jersey and swinging out of me. Whatever way I spun around, I grabbed him and threw him to the ground.

I saw the referee was looking that way, the linesman was looking that way, I just walked over to him, as much to say, 'Would you just get up off the ground and stop acting the clown?' I gave kind of a toe-poke to him.

It looked like I had kicked him in the had but as he said himself afterward that I made no contact and if I did make contact, it was with his arm or shoulder. It was the crowd's reaction that done me.

My next thought was, 'shít, we're down another man.' "

Interesting. From the tv it definately looks like a kick to the head but if the Galway fella admitted he made a meal of it then fair enough. No close up camera action or slow motion replay back in '83. Still though, Duff gave the referee a decision to make by kicking out like that. Could you be done for 'intent' back then? The Galway lad was just being clever i guess. Or cheating. Lets say being a cute hoor. Not to worry though, the 12 Apostles carried the day in a very hard fought won All Ireland.

There was some fine performances in the match. Canavan and Buckley were excellent at wing half back. Jim Ronayne had a good first half in the middle. So too Brian Mullins. Massive loss. Duff was a fantastic footballer and was playing well before he saw the line. Smokey Joe McNally played well in second half when down to 12.

Galway will be kicking themselves though. I heard a player on some radio or podcast say they found it very hard to get over that loss. They really should have won with all the chances they missed with two extra men but to the victors go the spoils and it will always be remembered as a sweet win for us city slickers.

I was 10, I remember being nearly crushed at it, and being lowered (and dropped) down onto the railway tracks by the old man afterwards.

Bambi wrote: »
    I was 10, I remember being nearly crushed at it, and being lowered (and dropped) down onto the railway tracks by the old man afterwards.

Rough day on and off the pitch by the sounds of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Bambi wrote:

I was 11. Was in the canal end. Cash was taken on the day. I think it was 3 pound. I didnt pay because i got a lift over the turnstiles. I remember there was a lot of crushes during the game paticularly during the second half. Weather was atrocious.

The worst crush though was coming out of the ground after the game. I could barely breath. Only for some old chap lifting me up i would have been in trouble

Different times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement