Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021 World Cup

• 14-11-2018 1:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭

Tonga will join New Zealand as top seeds alongside England and Australia in an expanded Rugby League World Cup format in 2021.
    Changes announced following a four-day congress of the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF)
    The World Cup has been increased from 14 to 16 teams, making for a simpler format, with the top two teams from each of the four pools going through to the quarter-finals.
    The draws for all three World Cups, including the women's and wheelchair events, will be made in England on November 27, 2019
    The second pot will feature tier two teams Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Fiji, and Lebanon, who all qualified automatically after reaching the last eight of the 2017 tournament

The final two pots will feature qualifiers, based on their world ranking, including the two most recently qualified sides, France and Wales.

After failing to win through from the European championship, Ireland and Scotland hope to secure qualification at the second attempt in 2019, while the United States, Chile, Jamaica, and Canada will provide one qualifier from the Americas championship in Jacksonville this week.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Much more straightforward grouping and qualification. I wish it was in the Southern Hemisphere again for the PNG Tonga Fiji etc fervour and enthusiasm.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Much more straightforward grouping and qualification. I wish it was in the Southern Hemisphere again for the PNG Tonga Fiji etc fervour and enthusiasm.
    More straightforward groups, qualification should help with interest but yeah from watching from afar the islanders enthuasiasm is something else and the sport(and union) could do so much more for the islands to really help the sport develop

More straightforward groups, qualification should help with interest but yeah from watching from afar the islanders enthuasiasm is something else and the sport(and union) could do so much more for the islands to really help the sport develop

Well I think the players did their bit by sticking with the countries of their birth/heritage rather than going back to NZ and in odd case Oz. Definitely agree, the sport could do a lot more for those countries. The idea of the England (and other) b teams playing some of the smaller nations is a good one. I know the England Knights coach is very keen to play more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Australia and New Zealand pull out of World Cup (rte.ie)

Holders Australia and New Zealand have withdrawn from this year's Rugby League World Cup in England, saying it is "simply too unsafe" to travel due to the coronavirus pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Palmach

• Advertisement

Write up about Ireland's chances here:

Dark horses as in pitch black maybe, but a few NRL ringers should mean some decent showings.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭timothydec77

I find this head line a bit over optimistic.

We all know Ireland are well behind the likes of Tonga, New Zealand, Australia, Fiji, PNG and England.

Since the 2000 World Cup it has been a Squandered two decades. The English and Australians dont care about development in Ireland.

Post edited by timothydec77 on

I agree, and for a big chunk of these heritage players this tournament will be one and done and they'll never been seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭timothydec77

It is sad because a lot of well meaning people do a lot of work for the sport in Ireland. However the structures work againist them.

The 2013 World Cup was generally a failure to develop the Sport in both Britain and Ireland. The Rugby Football League cut Ireland adrift financialy during that competition.

Ireland havent played in Ireland for 3 or so years. Very few will travel to the matches in England.

The team may reach a Quarter Final but after that no serious development work will be done.

I have come to an age were i have to accept the way things are and continue to watch Munster Rugby Union in Musgrave and Thomond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sivi tau vs sipi tau awesome !

• Advertisement
Advertisement