Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Incredibly manky car, need product recommendations

• 03-06-2020 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭

loud hoover warning @ start

Hadn't been sat in since December 2018.. steering wheel nearly had longer hair than me. Video doesn't do the amount of mouldy stuff justice. Headliner has black mould as well

Can anyone recommend where to buy and what products I should buy to properly sort it all out

Also want do the outside & buy a polisher as well and learn on this yoke before I destroy the paint on the other cars here

I have a nilfisk pressure washer and wash mits need everything else basically

Computer psu was for power to get the central locking to work & give enough juice for the little aldi charger to get going :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Jointhe I.D.E (Irish Detailing Enthusiasts) group on Facebook. Wealth of knowledge there for asking questions, and will get quicker responses due group size and Facebook being Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Jaysus that's in raw state! You're gonna need more than a hoover to get that mould gone. Lol at the steering wheel hoovering :D

For mould removal on carpets - steam cleaner, drill brush attachment, valet pro enzyme cleaner and a wet & dry vac/extractor. I know you won't be buying all these things but if you can lay your hands on them it will make things a lot easier. Some hardware stores rent Rug Doctor extractor machines.

For the steering wheel you'll need enzyme cleaner and steam (cover the dash so no water droplets get in behind the plastic on the dials). That video shows how dirty steering wheels can get - the mould is growing there due to bacteria, sweat and fluids from peoples' hands and IMO was never cleaned before. If not using steam then hot water and a cloth that you will be discarding afterwards will do the job.

I think it's Kent Car Care who have a 36 pack of microfibre cloths for very cheap. They're handy because you can dump them afterwards without feeling guilty and they do a good job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Jaysus that's in raw state! You're gonna need more than a hoover to get that mould gone. Lol at the steering wheel hoovering :D

For mould removal on carpets - steam cleaner, drill brush attachment, valet pro enzyme cleaner and a wet & dry vac/extractor. I know you won't be buying all these things but if you can lay your hands on them it will make things a lot easier. Some hardware stores rent Rug Doctor extractor machines.

For the steering wheel you'll need enzyme cleaner and steam (cover the dash so no water droplets get in behind the plastic on the dials). That video shows how dirty steering wheels can get - the mould is growing there due to bacteria, sweat and fluids from peoples' hands and IMO was never cleaned before. If not using steam then hot water and a cloth that you will be discarding afterwards will do the job.

I think it's Kent Car Care who have a 36 pack of microfibre cloths for very cheap. They're handy because you can dump them afterwards without feeling guilty and they do a good job.

Thanks MM,

I found a steam cleaner here yesterday and it made some difference, didn't know we had one and don't know if there's anything I shouldn't have used it on but I used it on everything & you'd be proud of the bit of work that was put down yesterday on it :cool: looks better in the picture than it is in person, still filthy

515356.jpg

I know its probably really bad for the hoover but I was hoovering the wet seats to get some of the wet out and was blotting it with news paper

I doubt anything on this car was ever cleaned before the mank just keeps coming out the more you wipe the surfaces

I used a bit of vanish carpet cleaner on the headliner (don't have a picture of where I tested it but here's the headliner with mould)
    515357.png
    and it seemed to do an ok job lifting the mould. Would it be ok to keep on using this then to finish it off with an enyzme spray to stop it coming back?

It had cat litter inside it while parked up for the moisture so I can only imagine what it would be like if it was just left without that

I'll see if I can borrow one of those carpet extractors. Have to go back over all the stuff I did yesterday anyway I'd say the same amount of dirt will come out again

if I'm buying a dual action polisher what other bits do I need, most of them say they come with a plate but do I need to order velcro pads as well as the foam pads? Then I just need clay as well as the cutting / polishing juice and I'm good to start?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If you can't get your hands on an extractor, i bought a wet and dry vac from screwfix direct for about €40. It's not as good as one of those extractors but it would do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

If what you're using is doing a good job then I'd stick with that and as you said, spray on some enzyme cleaner once the surface is dry.

When using the steam cleaner you don't just use it on its own. Firstly spray APC onto the surface, agitate with a brush then "rinse" with steam and wipe clean with a cloth.

Try and get a DAS kit that comes with everything you need. All pads are velcro pads that attach to the plate. The plate is hook and the pads are loop.

Toots - a wet and dry vac is as good as an extraction machine in most cases when it comes to using around the home. An extraction machine can also spray solution into carpets and you are able to see how clean/dirty the stuff you are sucking up is in the handle/nozzle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement