Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Communist scum on the radio ATM.

He's an elected TD and represents a valid political viewpoint whatever you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Does Paul Murphy have a weekly slot with Pat or something?

I don't listen to the show every day but that must be the third time in the past 3-4 weeks he's been on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

BPKS wrote: »
    Kenny asked him a direct question about what exactly the police should have done in situations where the rioters were looting stores.

Murphy answered that the police should have taken the knee.

Listen back to yourself Paul:D

I dont think so, he waffling on about the widespread historical looting of american capitalism etc, i really dont know why he coudlnt just condemn looters, they are a by product of every mass protest Unfortunately. And i say that as someone who would have a bit in common with his politics

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

meeeeh wrote: »
    You mentioned two topics, both are current and you said are the most significant topics in your life. I didn't say they should be not discussed but I certainly think describing election of Trump as one of the two most significant events of your life is a bit weird. Bush went to war in Iraq that dragged on and on and had huge geopolitical consequences. Brexit will have them too but Trump is not that significant unless you get your news from a Twitter feed. He rattles a lot but he is just one of the symptoms of wider trends...so yeah you are subscribing higher importance to anglo american events when there is shifting of power towards China (nothing to do with Corona).

And I bet you Brexit is not the topic most of the world is paying attention to. Europe is not that important anymore. You can claim that from Irish perspective but don't assume your perspective is most of the world.

I said they were two of the most, not the top two.
    Also, to clarify, the election of Trump was not one of the most significant events of my life.
    The process through which he has tried to change what constitutes acceptable behaviour by the President of the US and has sought to sow distrust in the media and advocating for not listening to scientific consensus, and the impact which that has had (as you yourself alluded to) in the rise of populist politicians as well as exacerbating racial divisions in a country with very emotive views on that subject most definitely has been one of the most significant events in my life to this point. Again, not 'the' most significant, one of the most significant.

No one is suggesting Brexit is of paramount importance from a global population perspective, I never suggested it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Acceptable behaviour by a US president?? Your mad Ted. I’ll say one thing in Trumps favour he’s the only US president in my lifetime that’s chosen trade wars over bombs. Slick Willy looks like he’s got some things to answer, Obama was Killarys puppet as for the bush duo, warmongering oil fanatics. It’s not right for you to say Trump is the worst of that lot. He’s probably the best. The word is a safer place with Trump at the helm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Acceptable behaviour by a US president?? Your mad Ted. I’ll say one thing in Trumps favour he’s the only US president in my lifetime that’s chosen trade wars over bombs. Slick Willy looks like he’s got some things to answer, Obama was Killarys puppet as for the bush duo, warmongering oil fanatics. It’s not right for you to say Trump is the worst of that lot. He’s probably the best. The word is a safer place with Trump at the helm.

I disagree.

I disagree.

I’m not surprised you probably haven’t been around long enough to see a proper protest in ireland besides the water charges.
    There were over 100,000 on the streets of dublin protesting a previous US presidents war on the Middle East. Trump is a long way off the killers that went before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Trump is a long way off the killers that went before him.

There was 2,243 drone strikes in the first two years of Trump’s tenure. By comparison, there were only 1,878 in Obama’s entire eight-year administration.

Ahwell wrote: »
    There was 2,243 drone strikes in the first two years of Trump’s tenure. By comparison, there were only 1,878 in Obama’s entire eight-year administration.

How’s the death toll under both? There’s no way Trump has a body bag count higher than Obama all things considered, roll on Obamagate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I don't agree with the latter half of your post, but you make a good point re. trade wars over bombs. I'm not a fan of the man, but as a president, I don't think he gets enough credit for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Killary? Jesus.

Anyway, yeah the world us a much safer place with old "I'm gonna bomb the shìt out of them. I don't care. I don't care." at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Pat needs to get people to phone in much more reliable than Internet calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Obviously people texting into radio shows know more about beating Covid 19 than those 1000 scientists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Some rather posh woman on now talking about how Ireland is one of the most racist countries shes been in and is not happy that Guards have been giving excessive attention to venues mainly attended by black people.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

emma dabiri , rather posh irish/nigerian woman. Says Ireland is the most racist place she has been, loike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

2smiggy wrote: »
    emma dabiri , rather posh irish/nigerian woman. Says Ireland is the most racist place she has been, loike.

a bag of bolix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Maybe its the circles she is moving in :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

RTE will probably give her own show so, there will be in a panic to stick in a few token new Irish in to bash the racist Irish on a daily basis when that Ebun Joseph needs a break from her daily rant against Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Some rather posh woman on now talking about how Ireland is one of the most racist countries shes been in and is not happy that Guards have been giving excessive attention to venues mainly attended by black people.

For a woman who lives in the UK, only comes to Dublin for a 2 or 3 day break at most on an irregular basis and has an 8 month old baby...she sure did a lot of clubbing and partying here to have seen so many large Garda attendances at venues with mostly black patrons. Amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm not Irish and it makes ne quite proud to be able to understand conversations in English better than natives. She said the most obvious racism was directed at her in Ireland like being called N word and similar. She did not say that Ireland is the most racist country she has lived in.

• Advertisement

Will these people every kindly piss off and stop generalising the whole Irish population as racist. A few idiotic individuals does not make "the Irish racist".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Emma Dabiri - I switched over when I heard Pat introduce her, so I can't comment on the interview.

If you're inclined to over intellectualise and turn everything into a complex academic argument, then the academic circles she's in just encourage this (I'm familiar with the institutions she studied/works at).

It generally just takes away from any good, relevant points she makes on racism (or whatever other issue shes's talking about). Usually painful to listen to...pseudo-intellectual echo chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I'm not Irish and it makes ne quite proud to be able to understand conversations in English better than natives. She said the most obvious racism was directed at her in Ireland like being called N word and similar. She did not say that Ireland is the most racist country she has lived in.

so it's hidden racism in other countries ? can you explain to a 'native' ? So we are the most obviously racist, as you say, but not the most racist ???

Cole wrote: »
    Emma Dabiri - I switched over when I heard Pat introduce her, so I can't comment on the interview.

If you're inclined to over intellectualise and turn everything into a complex academic argument, then the academic circles she's in just encourage this (I'm familiar with the institutions she studied/works at).

It generally just takes away from any good, relevant points she makes on racism (or whatever other issue shes's talking about). Usually painful to listen to...pseudo-intellectual echo chamber.

I think by the response in this thread it was a bit to complicated for some to understand.

so it's hidden racism in other countries ? can you explain to a 'native' ? So we are the most obviously racist, as you say, but not the most racist ???

I mean that English is not my first language and I am able to understand what she was actually saying and you are not. There is difference between more institutional racism and insults by idiots being shouted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

She said she was more likely hear racist abuse here but that there was no “institutionalised” racism here, as you would find in the US and the UK.

Would have ran into Emma, back in the day, not often but we would have had some “acquaintances” in common. She was sound then and I’m sure she’s, still, sound now.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

I mean that English is not my first language and I am able to understand what she was actually saying and you are not. There is difference between more institutional racism and insults by idiots being shouted out.

I get the difference between casual and institutional racism...but I suspect the real gripe many people have is the display of professional victimhood by SOME members of minority groups ..cheered on by the 'always available for a comment 'self righteous... and assorted mischief makers.It almost like a what's in this for me attitude...and refuses to acknowledge any form of nuance or criticism.

She said she was more likely hear racist abuse here but that there was no “institutionalised” racism here, as you would find in the US and the UK.

Would have ran into Emma, back in the day, not often but we would have had some “acquaintances” in common. She was sound then and I’m sure she’s, still, sound now.
    More likely than where? Genuine question, just wondering as I didn't hear the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

More likely than where? Genuine question, just wondering as I didn't hear the interview.

She said casual racism was more common here than UK/US...while opposite is case for institutional racism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Than when she was living in the UK or Atlanta.

She further clarified by saying she would have someone using the “N word” at her here but that wouldn’t, or was less likely to, occur in the UK or US where there was institutional racism.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Advertisement