Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drivers entering bus lane a few metres before it ends to turn left

Options
  • 04-06-2020 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

This annoys me no end.

This just doesn't happen in rush hour, it happens all times of the day.
    I, as a law abiding driver, drive in the lane I should be in, and the driver behind will cut in left 10 or so metres before the bus lane ends and the dash lines start meaning I have to wait for drivers who are essentially skipping me.

It's infuriating and illegal. I was driving a vintage car today with no nearside mirror (they weren't fitted on some old cars). This makes observation of these clowns harder.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The brother got done for that by a cop on a bike, he didn't do it anymore...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

CoBo55 wrote: »
    The brother got done for that by a cop on a bike, he didn't do it anymore...

Good. I wish there was points and fixed cameras.

Lorry drivers are divils for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Good. I wish there was points and fixed cameras.

Lorry drivers are divils for this.

I think it was just a fine, put manners on him, he's the meanest man in Ireland, always driving around on the yellow light, that sort of crack.. He whinges about it still.
    Giving the cop Gemma Doherty type lip didn't help his case....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

just indicate left and pull right over to the line, might deter him from undertaking you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

I do this all the time if the lane is free right up to the point where the left turn is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

This annoys me no end.

I, as a law abiding driver, drive in the lane I should be in, and the driver behind will cut in left 10 or so metres before the bus lane ends and the dash lines start meaning I have to wait for drivers who are essentially skipping me.

It's infuriating and illegal. I was driving a vintage car today with no nearside mirror (they weren't fitted on some old cars). This makes observation of these clowns harder.

Life is too short for all that grumbling. if you are driving, forget the holier than thou, live and let live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

But you're breaking the law. The bus lane is for buses, taxis and cyclists.

I'm considering using my dashcam to report such drivers or stopping my bike just at the end of the lane to force drivers abusing the lane to leave and re-enter where they're supposed to.

Depends on the bus land and the hours ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

This annoys me no end.

As long as they don't block the bus lane, why do you waste your nerves on that?

Kilboor wrote: »
    Depends on the bus land and the hours ;)

During operational hours

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    As long as they don't block the bus lane, why do you waste your nerves on that?

Because they're skipping and undertaking me and breaking the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Bus lane cameras would cut it out overnight. But yeah nothing more annoying than being undertaken by some tool in the bus lane

You should scream and scream till you make yourself sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

As long as they turn off I don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Worst rereg ever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Did I miss the Conclave?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I don't understand why they can't wait three seconds. A surprising amount of people do this and the annoying this is the almost always speed up and undertake you while you're waiting to move over. Only to slow down for the turn or red light...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I do this, but it's not to save three seconds. It's when there's a long line of traffic istopped n the left lane meaning you'd have to go through at least one, and maybe several sets of traffic lights for it to move up enough for you to move in to the left-turn lane. I wouldn't jump in to the bus lane early if it was a clear road all the way ahead of me that would allow me to join the left-turn lane legitimally.

I know it's illegal. But waiting and doing it legally could add 20% to my commute time where there's already enough of being stuck in traffic not moving wasting petrol, emitting carbon....

Thank the gods for being able to work from home during these times. I do not miss my work commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭snowcat

I often see long lines queuing in bus lanes. They seem ignorant of the law. I just pass the queue and indicate to enter where the traffic lane starts. The Guards have on occasion ticketed everyone in the bus lane but its still a daily occurance.
    I agree on the bus lane thing. Its very dangerous when you are indicating to enter a traffic lane off a bus lane and some lang ball enters the bus lane early and speeds up. Id say bus drivers have given up at this stage.

On side note there is way too much undertaking going on in this country. There should be a guideline rule that you do not undertake anywhere above say 10km/h unless it is causing a direct obstruction. Drivers undertaking at speed coming up to traffic lights/junctions/roundabouts etc is dangerous and exposes both drivers to unnesessary risk. Drivers seem to forget that the chances of you having an accident with another vehicle are significantly reduced if you stay well clear of the other vehicle. That goes for tail gating undertaking etc. They should bring in a Covid style 20m rule for cars. It would save a lot of lives. Probably more than the Covid 2m one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,422 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The only place I do it is at the end of my road. I have to enter about 3m earlier than the end of the bus lane in order to take the left turn safely. Otherwise, it is almost a 75 degree turn due to the road layout and difficult to take above 5kph.
    As a cyclist, it galls me when idiots enter the bus lane 100s of metres in advance of my turn off as they may or may not be turning left at the subsequent traffic lights. But I don't enforce the law, I just try and abide by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

quickbeam wrote: »
    I do this, but it's not to save three seconds. It's when there's a long line of traffic istopped n the left lane meaning you'd have to go through at least one, and maybe several sets of traffic lights for it to move up enough for you to move in to the left-turn lane. I wouldn't jump in to the bus lane early if it was a clear road all the way ahead of me that would allow me to join the left-turn lane legitimally.

I know it's illegal. But waiting and doing it legally could add 20% to my commute time where there's already enough of being stuck in traffic not moving wasting petrol, emitting carbon....

Thank the gods for being able to work from home during these times. I do not miss my work commute.

Whatever it takes to justify your actions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I would say this, a lot of bus lanes end way too close to junctions to ‘facilitate’ left turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

I do it a few metres before if:

I am turning left at the lights and they have gone red on my approach. The right lane has 5-6 cars waiting at the lights which means the correct location (i.e. end of bus lane) to turn left is blocked due to the back up of traffic. I can either a) sit 7-8 cars back in the right lane, backing up the single lane further and wait for the traffic to move a few metres on the green light or b) enter the left lane a few metres early so both lanes can have cars waiting at the lights easing congestion.

If done under the correct circumstances entering the bus lane a few metres before can actually help with traffic flow IMO.

I do it all the time, if I can clearly see no guards are ahead I’ll do it to skip cars in traffic too from further back. Good to know it’s annoys people, will be even more fun doing it now.

These turning lanes start far too close to the junction anyway they should be much longer as it would help traffic flow a lot to get cars turning left out of the line of traffic going straight ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You should scream and scream till you make yourself sick.

No she should thream and thream until she makes herself sick.

I just arrived in work today and one of my co-workers did this on the way in.

If I report him anonymously will Gardaí or Traffic Watch take a statement?

I have front and rear cameras

i can't see them doing anything, hardly the crime of the century.

I would say you are the most popular guy in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Of course they will. In fact, they spend most of their days in Court getting convictions simply by reading out anonymous statements.

Jesus wept. It was bad enough here prior to Lockdown....:D

• Advertisement

the thing is about driving in rush hour traffic, it's eat or be ate. You do what you have to do and try your best not to let anyone do it to you. Personally I'd have to objection to misuse of bus lanes, provided it was done safely and didn't delay legitimate users of the lane.

Advertisement