Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet upstairs

Options
  • 04-06-2020 6:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about setting up a network in my bedroom for my pc, tv for downloading and streaming films and the like, and perhaps some network drives for storage. I'd have a TV, gaming PC, mac laptop, phone charger etc. all in there so I'm thinking the current draw from my room would end up being too high for a powerline ethernet adapter, I'd like a second opinion though. I'd imagine the next best thing would be to run an cat6 ethernet cable from the modem downstairs to a router in my room which I can run everything on my network from? Is this a complex job? I'd imagine there are ducts and the like I could put a cable through!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

A cable from your router to a switch in the bedroom. The location of the router, bedroom and house type dictates how difficult or awkward the run would be.

Are you looking to wire each device from the switch?

Is wireless not an option?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

alta stare wrote: »
    Is wireless not an option?

This remains a far less robust and slower option.
    Hardwired is vastly superior.

2011 wrote: »
    This remains a far less robust and slower option.
    Hardwired is vastly superior.

Oh i know i am only asking is it not an option. No point in running cable if the wireless is sufficient for what is needed. As i said already depending on the layout of the run the cost of running a cable and buying a switch may not be worth it for what can be done wirelessly.

But yeah i agree wired is always better. In fact i think every new build should be hardwired for broadband to each room as standard. It would give lots of options for homeowners then regarding home entertainment and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Been on wireless for years and I don't like how it can be unreliable. a lot of devices use the wireless in my house and my ping is normally quite high in online gaming. I've also been reading about security and how its safer to run a router from a modem rather then just use an internet connection straight from a modem. House is a 70s build but has been extended and rewired before as the entire upstairs and most of the downstairs layout was changed around. I figured I would like to run everything from a router as I'd like network storage accessible over LAN, I need a robust connection for online PC gaming, and streaming movies normally involves watching it buffer for ages before I can watch the show. It's pretty much these factors that make me feel as though wired is the only option.

Lockheed wrote: »
    Been on wireless for years and I don't like how it can be unreliable. a lot of devices use the wireless in my house and my ping is normally quite high in online gaming. I've also been reading about security and how its safer to run a router from a modem rather then just use an internet connection straight from a modem. House is a 70s build but has been extended and rewired before as the entire upstairs and most of the downstairs layout was changed around. I figured I would like to run everything from a router as I'd like network storage accessible over LAN, I need a robust connection for online PC gaming, and streaming movies normally involves watching it buffer for ages before I can watch the show. It's pretty much these factors that make me feel as though wired is the only option.

Ah yeah if it suits you to do then happy days. A switch upstairs would give you plenty of scope to wire from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Usually the biggest difficulty is not having a route from modem to upstairs without chasing walls everywhere. I've been planning to do it for years but it's always a big job.

Yes all new builds should have at least have conduit running around the house so new cables can be pulled and fed in as tech changes but that's the dream.

If you can reach the attic somehow you can usually come down to most rooms and you can put the switch up there if permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

alan4cult wrote: »
    Usually the biggest difficulty is not having a route from modem to upstairs without chasing walls everywhere. I've been planning to do it for years but it's always a big job.

Yes all new builds should have at least have conduit running around the house so new cables can be pulled and fed in as tech changes but that's the dream.

If you can reach the attic somehow you can usually come down to most rooms and you can put the switch up there if permitted.

The house actually has recessed ceiling speakers in a bathroom upstairs and the downstairs kitchen. If im right in my thinking there would already be cat5 cables in the walls for these speakers? Just wondering if that could make it any easier of a job

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Lockheed wrote: »
    I'm thinking about setting up a network in my bedroom for my pc, tv for downloading and streaming films and the like, and perhaps some network drives for storage. I'd have a TV, gaming PC, mac laptop, phone charger etc. all in there so I'm thinking the current draw from my room would end up being too high for a powerline ethernet adapter, I'd like a second opinion though. I'd imagine the next best thing would be to run an cat6 ethernet cable from the modem downstairs to a router in my room which I can run everything on my network from? Is this a complex job? I'd imagine there are ducts and the like I could put a cable through!

Hi,
    I've installed a CAT7 LAN network in my three bedroom semi detached house around twi years ago,
    Cat8 is now also available but CAT7 is capable of up to 10Gb per second data transfer,
    Although my LAN routers are currently rated for up to 1GB and my broadband is 550mb at peak,
    Have fibreoptic to the home,

I've built an mdf panel inside my attic to house three lan routers one for each bedroom along side television distribution amplifier and virgin media cables,
    I have loads of pictures on the installation aswell as television installation in my thread here,
    Might give you some ideas; no cables visible anywhere and only the tablet and mobile phones use wifi in our home everything else is direct wire
    Link: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/#comments

Any questions I'm happy to help; see page 3 onwards for the LAN installation

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bring everything to the attic.

A small patch panel and two twin sockets.

Try to get the modem up there too

You'll be flying. I installed cat6A in years ago

Very easy to switch between ISPs too

I've little switches in three locations.

Office and two reception rooms

My office was my box bedroom once

I'd 9 data points at 3 work spots there, massive overkill for me. It's in a room downstairs now and the switch supplies everything from one data point.

Cat7 or better would be nice alright , but not worth a rewire

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rtyped

it's a relativly cheap option to try power line and see how you go.

I have 3 pcs, nas, 2 monitors, printer charges in my room upstairs, powerline to router downstairs, pretty rock solid.

get a 25Mb/s transfer rate.

using a pair of solwise 1200AV2 Piggy. I have them for 3 years now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement