Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it's a camper in the UK is it automatically a camper in Ireland?

Options
  • 04-06-2020 12:13pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I've been looking at a few campers online. The under €10k market is nuts at the moment, understandably. Lots of people putting up "can't answer all the calls, I've been inundated!".

So, we're looking at campers in the UK (won't travel until it's allowed!).

If a van is a campervan on a logbook in the UK, is it automatically one in Ireland, or do we have to go through Revenue's check? We're looking at 8 seater Mazda Bongos. They're only campers in that they've pop tops roofs, and you can put the middle row down, use it as a table to eat "downstairs". But there's no gas or water plumbing.

Has anyone any experience with this? They're good value if we can bring them home, pay CVRT and off we go. But not so if we have to do a full conversion when we're home.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

No, I had a Toyota Granvia that was registered as a camper in UK but did not fulfill the requirements here and was registered as an MPV. If it fulfills the requirements then you should have no problem. You will still ahve to pay the 13.3% of OMV to VRT.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Great, thanks for that. The ones I'm looking at are just somewhere to sleep indoors. I'd still be putting up an awning and cooking in that. It has no sink or gas cooking. So no way it would fulfil requirements here. But I've seen them advertised online (in Ireland) as being registered as a camper in Ireland. They must have registered years ago or met an inspector on a very good day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

All you need to know is HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

dory wrote: »
    Great, thanks for that. The ones I'm looking at are just somewhere to sleep indoors. I'd still be putting up an awning and cooking in that. It has no sink or gas cooking. So no way it would fulfil requirements here. But I've seen them advertised online (in Ireland) as being registered as a camper in Ireland. They must have registered years ago or met an inspector on a very good day!

Back in the day it was the local tax office and you could get away with all kinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

dory wrote: »

If you’re registering as a car, you’ll have to pay Nox charge, which on an older diesel will be approx €4700 on top of VRT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement