Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Under kitchen lights

Options
  • 20-05-2020 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

Light plugged in. Untidy. Any suggestions

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Any spare sockets behind a fridge or microwave that you could plug it into locally?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

Any spare sockets behind a fridge or microwave that you could plug it into locally?

Thanks for your response. External wall.
    Would have preferred some light switch.
    Cannot chase the wall because kitchen counter below and cabinet above.

Perhaps some way to use adjacent power socket to link into for lighting?

I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Is there a socket abvoe the wall cabinets for a cooker hood that could also be used to power lights - that's what I'm planning to use to do the same.

Is there a socket abvoe the wall cabinets for a cooker hood that could also be used to power lights - that's what I'm planning to use to do the same.

Thanks. There is but built in kitchen cabinets so I can't chase the wall. If I could then could make contact with a lighting circuit too.

Thanks for your response

The lighting is under the press

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

adrian92 wrote: »
    Thanks. There is but built in kitchen cabinets so I can't chase the wall. If I could then could make contact with a lighting circuit too.

Thanks for your response

The lighting is under the press

Is there no gap in between any of your cabinets where you could pull the wire up through and plug in to vent hood socket?

I ask because I was able to wire in an outside cctv camera by doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

How about tiling the wall after chasing it and putting a switch on it from the socket already there?

Thanks for your suggestions. I cannot find a way up or down to connect a lighting circuit. The kitchen fittihgs are too fixed.

There are power outlets available between top of counter .
    Just wogdering if tyey could be used for this under counter lightijg.
    I am just plugging tyem in , but not the best.
    Thanks all for your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Bring it up inside the cabinet with skinny plastic conduit? You'd barely even notice it was there.

Bring it up inside the cabinet with skinny plastic conduit? You'd barely even notice it was there.

Thanks for that tip

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Is there a empty hollow space at the back of the corner unit I brought mine down through that.
    You can also find conduit that has a taper to look like beading that you could stick to the sides of the units to hide the cables

• Advertisement

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Is there a empty hollow space at the back of the corner unit I brought mine down through that.
    You can also find conduit that has a taper to look like beading that you could stick to the sides of the units to hide the cables

Many thanks for the advice.
    Ill check that.
    Any idea how to source that conduit or what it is called?
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Many thanks for the advice.
    Ill check that.
    Any idea how to source that conduit or what it is called?
    Thanks again

Apologies youll find it in DIY shops, its called plastic trunking.

Apologies youll find it in DIY shops, its called plastic trunking.
    Many thanks

Is there no gap in between any of your cabinets where you could pull the wire up through and plug in to vent hood socket?

I ask because I was able to wire in an outside cctv camera by doing this.
    Thanks but I can't see any gap. It is firmly fixed

Thanks but I can't see any gap. It is firmly fixed
    Just found out that there is approximately one centimeter , or more, available between back of cabinet and wall.

Am able to drill 5mm holes very close to the wall with no interference with the cabinet

But I cannot find a way to fish a wire from the small opening

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Just found out that there is approximately one centimeter , or more, available between back of cabinet and wall.

Am able to drill 5mm holes very close to the wall with no interference with the cabinet

But I cannot find a way to fish a wire from the small opening

Wire coat hanger not do the job? Fish Rods?

Sorry if I'm missing something :confused:

Wire coat hanger not do the job? Fish Rods?

Sorry if I'm missing something :confused:

No you are not missing anything. Thanks for your suggestion.

Ill try that. Tricky to find a way with 5mm holes 600mm apart, just patience, I suppose.

Thanks again

Is there any accepable method that I can tap into adjacent power outlet to supply a lighting circuit, perhaps via fused spur unit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I done this recently: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057995649&page=2

What I ended up doing was to use a mains switch https://mainsswitch.co.uk to switch on and off the light.

What I ended up doing was drilling into the conduit above the cupboard to install a spur off the sockets circuit. It is highly likely that the conduit for your switch goes vertical too, so above the unit, you can drill in and connect. However, if you do this be aware that you need to have the cables out of the conduit prior to drilling. Wire the spur into the receiver of the mains switch. Output of mains switch into the light. So, this is how to power the lights.

To switch on the lights I took a spur off a light circuit I wanted to use to power the mains switch transmitter. Turn on the light circuit and transmitter gets powered, turns on receiver which in turn switches on the light.

It might be more than you need. However, you can get a SONOFF RF switch or a wireless switch to do the same.

Advertisement