Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jack Russell off her food

• 25-05-2020 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Our dog hasn’t been eating her dog food for about 3 days now. It is John Byrnes dried food. Yet if any of us are eating near here she is watching us like a hawk so is obviously hungry. Brought her for a walk yesterday, was eager to go and is generally in good form. The only thing I can think of is that she dug up something outside eat it & maybe it upset her? Bit puzzled really?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

tamara25 wrote: »
    Our dog hasn’t been eating her dog food for about 3 days now. It is John Byrnes dried food. Yet if any of us are eating near here she is watching us like a hawk so is obviously hungry. Brought her for a walk yesterday, was eager to go and is generally in good form. The only thing I can think of is that she dug up something outside eat it & maybe it upset her? Bit puzzled really?

Is she drinking ? Is she vomiting? Has she diarrhoea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Have you tried giving her some plain chicken? Is it that she has no appetite or just no interest in the type of food you're giving her?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭tamara25

No diarrhoea or vomiting. Yes drinking water like normal. It’s like all of a sudden she’s decided she doesn’t want her own dog food. But is constantly begging for human food. Vet said if it continues for another few days to bring her in.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

Hi Tamara, how big is the bag, how much is left, how long is it open and how is it stored? I'm not familiar with the brand sorry. Sometimes the animal fat in a bag of nuts can go rancid, the change might not smell quite as bad to you as your pet but they can stop eating it pretty quick. So it might be something as simple as that.

I’m pretty sure the dog food is still fresh. Didn’t eat any of her food today either..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Could you mix in a small bit of tinned sardines/mackerel or a bit of cooked chicken through s small portion of her dog nuts & see will she eat it then. My gang are on
    The Burns dog food & seem to like it & they eat it on its own & with other food mixed in as an occasional treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If my dog had eaten nothing for 4 days, I would be worried, and would want to make sure s/he ate SOMETHING!

If the dog is going hungry for 4 days rather than eating some kibble, then either there is something wrong with kibble (ie the dog doesnt like/want it/it doesnt suit her tummy) or there is something wrong with the dog.

How long will you hold out before you give her something - scrambled egg, bit of boiled chicken - to see if she is (1) hungry (2) keeping food down (3) not sick?

Have you checked her mouth/teeth?
    How old is she?

aonb wrote: »
    If my dog had eaten nothing for 4 days, I would be worried, and would want to make sure s/he ate SOMETHING!

If the dog is going hungry for 4 days rather than eating some kibble, then either there is something wrong with kibble (ie the dog doesnt like/want it/it doesnt suit her tummy) or there is something wrong with the dog.

How long will you hold out before you give her something - scrambled egg, bit of boiled chicken - to see if she is (1) hungry (2) keeping food down (3) not sick?

Have you checked her mouth/teeth?
    How old is she?

Frosty response from aonb... if I didn’t give a **** about the dog I wouldn’t even have rang our vet about her. She is very well looked after, if anything a bit overweight as she’s very well fed. She did eat a small amount of dog food yesterday so that was encouraging. Thank you to the nice people that gave me their advice.

If any of my animals aren't eating I'll give them a bit of tuna and that usually shows that it's the food they don't want. The dog usually goes off a particular kind of food after 2 or 3 bags so we switch it. Cats will get a bit of tuna/wet food once in a while.
    Pretty sure it's not considered best practice but I don't think there'd be a day when I wouldn't give the dog a little bit of my food. I think breaking the monotony of the kibbles keeps her happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I genuinely couldn’t give my dog kibble.I did buy it once, a recommended brand from the vet but when I got home and read the list of ingredients and considered how highly processed it was,I couldn’t bring myself to give it to her. It didn’t even include meat or grain but meat ‘ derivatives’’ and meal ‘derivatives’. Instead she gets chicken/fish/mince/ rice combinations and some yoghurt at night. Nothing will convince me that kibble is healthier than human food for a dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Dogs have a great sense of taste and smell -maybe there is a a odd tasting bit in the food bag -“like you can sometimes get in the pet sticks.

Maybe the heat has turned the food off quickly (25’C ! ) or maybe the bowl needs a good wash in soapy water to freshennit up a bit -can happen sometimes.

Maybe the heat has put your pet off their food for a bit -even I am off my food in this heat!!

I’d be worried if she wasn’t drinking but a (overweight) dog should be ik without food for a few days so don’t panic too much.

I do hope she hasn’t eaten something ( chunk of rawhide or a bone) and it has blocked her :( Has she been going to the loo? Do her gums look healthy? Is there any straining to go with nothing coming out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Try her with a bit of cooked chicken, boiled turkey, some sardines or tuna in oil, even a bit of boiled ham with the salt soaked out.

Might be the heat as others say, but three days of refusing food would be a worry.

I had a good chat with the vet last Saturday & the only thing he suggested was worming her which hasn’t been done in a good few months. She has been taking small amounts of food since but not eating as much as she would normally. Twice today I caught her just about to eat a dead bird. Don’t understand how she’s catching them??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I’d want blood tests to rule out anything serious. Unfortunately when I took Lucy to the vets for this reason it was something serious :( Not eating/being picky can be a symptom of many things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

tk123 wrote: »
    I’d want blood tests to rule out anything serious. Unfortunately when I took Lucy to the vets for this reason it was something serious :( Not eating/being picky can be a symptom of many things.

Indeed. Same thing happened to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

Do you only feed the dog dried food? try some variety, They're dogs, their teeth are designed for ripping apart raw meat. Domesticated dogs are largely carnivores that eat some omnivorous foods. If your dog is eating human cooked food, its then the issue with the food you're giving your dog.I give a varied diet to my cat and fish. My cat doesn't get any of the dried stuff and he is 17 years old now.

Advertisement