Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Independent Top 20 Players of the Past 50 years

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Tompkins along with Matt O'Connor were the two greatest CF that I have ever seen. He won two All Irelands with a middling Cork team but they were in Five All Ireland Finals. Tompkins was a box to box player and i think a good backetball players as well. Great free taker but would be on any team for his general football ability and brain as well. mentally very tough. Mullins was an animal and I mean that in the best sense, won an All Ireland at 19 years of age at midfield. Fairly mobile for he size of him. O'Rourke was one of the four great Rourke scorers of the 70-90's period. Both as a freetaker and from open play. Maybe rated a little bit high but still deseves to be there

Look it's easy to extol the virtues of any player, the argument is where they should be placed. All 3 are great players. Are Mullins or Tomkins better than Cavanagh, Cooper or Fitz who they were selected higher? Was O'Rourke better than Joyce or his own county man and 2 time Footballer of the year Giles? No in my opinion and id think most rational opinions. Nothing against the 3 players who are all greats

Never seen Connor play. Any games on the GAA website of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Jesus I miss it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Look it's easy to extol the virtues of any player, the argument is where they should be placed. All 3 are great players. Are Mullins or Tomkins better than Cavanagh, Cooper or Fitz who they were selected higher? Was O'Rourke better than Joyce or his own county man and 2 time Footballer of the year Giles? No in my opinion and id think most rational opinions. Nothing against the 3 players who are all greats

Alot of people think only of the Colm O'Rourke of the 87-95 period. He was 30 years of age whem he won his first medal in 1987. Ulster lads revere Perter the great for for his 10+ years soldiering away before Tyrone won an All Ireland. O'Rourke was the Peter the Great of the 80's. 12 years on the Meath senior team before he won an All Ireland. Footballer of the year at 34 years of age. In the 87 final with a cork team all over them he scores the goal to get them back on track. 20 years a Meath senior player. Giles walked away O'Rourke played on until the bitter end and he was not even born in Meath.

Cananagh was a great player as was Joyce. And maybe we give the edge to players who played with successful counties, the Jack O'Shea's and the Pat Spillanes. But you look at the list and there is only one goalie, four midfielders, and four defenders, the rest are all forwards. Of the forwards there is four that played on the half forward line and seven are inside forwards.

Never seen Connor play. Any games on the GAA website of him?

There is a very small clip of him here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snlHd8e7uKs

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I'll agree with the successful counties point anyway Bass, Declan Browne's the best footballer I've seen live bar Peter Canavan yet he'll never get acknowledged as such. Thankfully he got rewarded with two all stars. The forwards backs argument is tougher as forwards stand out so much more. Il never argue against having Tomas O'Se, Canty or Lacey in these arguments for that reason though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

I always favoured DJ to Shefflin, you could argue Shefflin was more effective than DJ but DJ was miles better to watch he was such an exciting player and he faced tougher competition as the team he had around him wasn't as good as the team Shefflin was on and the game was much more competitive in the 90's than it was during Shefflins career.

Both all time greats though so there's no wrong answer when picking between the two them.

Canning better than both, consummate, complete hurler. Shefflin not even best KK hurler of his era; JJ and Tommy Walsh just as consistent and more brilliant. Brian Lohan a better defender than Ollie Canning or Pete Finnerty? I think not.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I'll agree with the successful counties point anyway Bass, Declan Browne's the best footballer I've seen live bar Peter Canavan yet he'll never get acknowledged as such. Thankfully he got rewarded with two all stars. The forwards backs argument is tougher as forwards stand out so much more. Il never argue against having Tomas O'Se, Canty or Lacey in these arguments for that reason though

I'll always have a bias towards the lads I saw live. There is something in seeing them in the whole and not confined by the screen. The way they move, what they do off the ball even their demeanour sometimes. The really good ones stand out a mile.

Just on successful counties and players, he mightn't have won much in the end but Kieran McDonald was something else to watch.

Declan Browne was awesome. You can only wonder what he'd have been like in a forward line like the modern Dubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

While I know Browne was a super footballer, is there a caveat there that you don't know what he'd have been like in the white heat of an all Ireland final for example? He might well of excelled but rightly or wrongly not having the experience counts against him in these sort of things.

While I know Browne was a super footballer, is there a caveat there that you don't know what he'd have been like in the white heat of an all Ireland final for example? He might well of excelled but rightly or wrongly not having the experience counts against him in these sort of things.

We'll never know. More is the pity. Can you hold it against a fella? I dunno. He was successful in his own right, over and over. I suppose I can wonder but if I had to guess I'd say he would have rose to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

PCeeeee wrote: »
    We'll never know. More is the pity. Can you hold it against a fella? I dunno. He was successful in his own right, over and over. I suppose I can wonder but if I had to guess I'd say he would have rose to it.

Yeah you wouldn't but when it comes to picking the best the likes of John Galvin, Gary Brennan, Declan Browne aren't going to topple your Brian Fenton, Gooch Cooper or Canavan in the end just because those are the fellas who you remember putting in the displays that won all-irelands

And though I agree you'd think he would have flourished but not having the evidence makes it harder to pick him, certainly if you're writing for a broadsheet sports column.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

People been following this at all.Been interesting to read through it this week.

Cluxton named as the best Leinster footballer of the period which I have no problem with but I'd have put Matt Connor ahead of him myself as he was a complete genius and he was top scorer in the country between league and championship each year from 1980-84 (inclusive) which is incredible level of consistency.
    Good shout, also...

If we are talking about consistency...

Stephen Cluxton

Position : Goalkeeper

Leinster Titles : 15

All Ireland’s : 7

National Football Leagues : 5

27 titles ... seriously and...

All Stars : 5

He captained Dublin to 6 of those 7 All Ireland Championships.

That’s staggering, thats something in sport, be it GAA, amateur or otherwise that’s simply amazing. He’s simply one of the greatest sportsmen the country has ever produced, but he’s that humble and quiet about his achievements, you have never seen him seek column inches or turn up on the chat show circuit, trying to sell a book, plug this or that. I’ve know him a very small bit for a while through a couple of situations and he’s a nice guy, very humble and there is no aura of success or achievement he’s just a guy getting on with life, his career, his beloved sport...

His record above speaks for itself and will be decades you’d imagine but likely never that will be equaled. Staggering.

Also as a goalkeeper he has scored 66 points. Fukkk.

Yeah you wouldn't but when it comes to picking the best the likes of John Galvin, Gary Brennan, Declan Browne aren't going to topple your Brian Fenton, Gooch Cooper or Canavan in the end just because those are the fellas who you remember putting in the displays that won all-irelands

And though I agree you'd think he would have flourished but not having the evidence makes it harder to pick him, certainly if you're writing for a broadsheet sports column.

Agree. But it would imo be so wrong to leave his like out of the discussion.

Like it or not the county system we as the GAA inherited is inherently unfair. Some lads who are born superstars will never win nothing. That's not to say we can't recognise their greatness. Sometimes these lads have achieved more in winning nothing than fellas with AI medals.

Edit. Perhaps I should say while winning nothing rather than in winning nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Agree. But it would imo be so wrong to leave his like out of the discussion.

Like it or not the county system we as the GAA inherited is inherently unfair. Some lads who are born superstars will never win nothing. That's not to say we can't recognise their greatness. Sometimes these lads have achieved more in winning nothing than fellas with AI medals.

Edit. Perhaps I should say while winning nothing rather than in winning nothing.

It was mentioned in one of the pieces in the independent during the week that John O'Leary picked Kevin O'Brien as part of the best 15 composed of players he played against ahead of Pat Spillane as he said it was easier to be a great footballer playing for Kerry and how good would Spillane have been if he was from Wicklow.

Spillane was obviously an all time great but O'Leary raises a good point as it is much easier to dedicate yourself to the sport when you know if you get a chance to play at county level you have a chance of winning motivation is not a huge issue for players from Kerry,Dublin etc whereas it is for the likes of Kevin O'Brien,Declan Brown,John Galvin etc who became all time great players despite knowing from day one they probably had very little chance of achieving much in the game.Also its much easier to be a great player when you are surrounded by high quality players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

These things will always throw up surprises, but P. Joyce not making the best 15 is madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

These things will always throw up surprises, but P. Joyce not making the best 15 is madness.

Which of the top 15 would you remove so Joyce can be in it?

What other inside forward in the top 15 would you replace. Peter Canavan, Mickey Sheehy, Gouch, Michael Murphy, Maurice Fitzgerald or Colm O Rourke.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'd have him ahead of Tompkins and O'Rourke without even thinking about it and unlike some of the older players I saw all those three play in the flesh.

But sure they'll always be quibbles over who's ahead of who in a list.

I'd have him ahead of Tompkins and O'Rourke without even thinking about it and unlike some of the older players I saw all those three play in the flesh.

But sure they'll always be quibbles over who's ahead of who in a list.

So O'Rourke will get him from 16th to 14th.... WOW. Tompkins was a totally different footballer. He could have played in any central position on the field from FB to FF. Have no doubt, Joyce was a great footballer but I not rate him in Tompkins class. TBH there is not much between himself and O'Rourke but O'Rourke probably shades it. Mainly due to the longevity of his career, success came late to him but he carried Meath teams from 1980 on to the successful era of the late 80's

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

So O'Rourke will get him from 16th to 14th.... WOW. Tompkins was a totally different footballer. He could have played in any central position on the field from FB to FF. Have no doubt, Joyce was a great footballer but I not rate him in Tompkins class. TBH there is not much between himself and O'Rourke but O'Rourke probably shades it. Mainly due to the longevity of his career, success came late to him but he carried Meath teams from 1980 on to the successful era of the late 80's

Thought Maurice Fitzgerald might have a bit higher , wouldn’t have thought Jack o Shea was the best player of the last 50 years but when someone like Mick O Dwyer says he was the best midfielder he ever saw play the game it’s hard to argue with that . Did he even say the best player he ever saw play the game ??

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Thought Maurice Fitzgerald might have a bit higher , wouldn’t have thought Jack o Shea was the best player of the last 50 years but when someone like Mick O Dwyer says he was the best midfielder he ever saw play the game it’s hard to argue with that . Did he even say the best player he ever saw play the game ??

I suppose never directly, but he did say that of all the players he saw Matt Connor was the one he have most liked to have on the Kerry 4in a row team

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

MfMan wrote: »
    Canning better than both, consummate, complete hurler. Shefflin not even best KK hurler of his era; JJ and Tommy Walsh just as consistent and more brilliant. Brian Lohan a better defender than Ollie Canning or Pete Finnerty? I think not.

I'd have to question your sanity if you think Finnerty or Ollie Canning were better than Lohan. Ollie Canning was a superb ,tidy corner back. Finnerty a fair, thunderous wing back. Lohan was a level above both and actually destroyed full forwards lines and won games in Clare teams with average forwards.
    As for Joe Canning . A brilliant hurler when the mood takes him. He drifts in and out of matches. Destroyed by Hannon in the first half if the 2018 final. He was actually terrible until the 2and half. Shefflin deserves his spot at number 1 over JJ and Tommy Walsh if only for the reason that creating and scoring is harder that stopping and passing. Maradona over Beckenbauer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

BloodyBill wrote: »
    I'd have to question your sanity if you think Finnerty or Ollie Canning were better than Lohan. Ollie Canning was a superb ,tidy corner back. Finnerty a fair, thunderous wing back. Lohan was a level above both and actually destroyed full forwards lines and won games in Clare teams with average forwards.

Finnerty won 5 All Stars in 6 years, scarcely a shabby achievement. Lohan got a good runaround from a 17-year old Eugene Cloonan in the '97 club final, and was getting the same again in the '99 senior semi-final until he hit him on the head. Not to denigrate Brian Lohan but I'd have Seanie McMahon ahead of him always.
    As for Joe Canning . A brilliant hurler when the mood takes him. He drifts in and out of matches. Destroyed by Hannon in the first half if the 2018 final. He was actually terrible until the 2and half. Shefflin deserves his spot at number 1 over JJ and Tommy Walsh if only for the reason that creating and scoring is harder that stopping and passing. Maradona over Beckenbauer.

As ever, an inaccurate analysis of Canning. As long as I've been watching him, he's never been subbed due to ineffectiveness and always produces something of value in his games. The 2018 season in particular was one of his best, better even than the preceding year. All players drift out of matches - e.g. Shefflin was largely anonymous for much of the 2009 final and the first half of the 2012 one. Maybe it's what players do in their purple spells of matches that matter, e.g. Shefflin 2nd half of 2012, Canning closing stages of Tipp 2017, 2nd half v Limerick the following year. Canning's scoring average from play is higher than Shefflins and is also a superb playmaker, as seen since his move to centre-forward. I've seen quite a few online comments from KK contributors who rated Walsh and Delaney as their best players of the glory era.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

A living legend, lives on the outskirts of Clonmel.

Theo English. Tipperary

Hurling
    Centre Field

All Irelands 5

Munster 7

National League 8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theo_English

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Advertisement