Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heart rate

Options
  • 05-05-2020 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

What is the story with heart rate and the differences between athletes of similar standard/age?

I am 39, have max HR of 183 or so. My brother who is a couple of years older, probably just as fit has a max in the 160s. This has always been the case.

Doing some MAF running over the winter months and my pace is considerably slower than his.

I have never had any specific threshold level testing done. How variable can training zones be from what I work out with a pen an paper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

bopperr wrote: »
    What is the story with heart rate and the differences between athletes of similar standard/age?

I am 39, have max HR of 183 or so. My brother who is a couple of years older, probably just as fit has a max in the 160s. This has always been the case.

Doing some MAF running over the winter months and my pace is considerably slower than his.

I have never had any specific threshold level testing done. How variable can training zones be from what I work out with a pen an paper?

Without doing any specific testing you are guessing. There is no hard and fast rule, 220 - your age etc is a complete estimate. There are so many variables in your system on your heart rate. Heart rate can also vary day to day depending on hydration, sleep, fueling etc.

I would recommend going and doing a threshold test or even a hard 5k r 10km effort and working it out form that.

Advertisement