Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

whiterebel wrote: »
    The same Fed who was one point away from adding to his total at the last Wimbledon? I wouldn't write him off just yet. He might still hang around for the Olympics.

or this thing might just retire him.

although I think that he has in his mind to stick around until he is 40 to make some sort of statement.

only has to make it to Aug 2021.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Wimbledon cancellation confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

First time since WW2 that Wimbledon has been cancelled.

On the larger picture, and assuming that in fact no slam will go ahead this year,
    this will hurt Nadal and Djokovic more that Federer. Fererer will miss out on max one potential slam (don't forget that he is injured anyway) , the other two will miss out on potentially 3.

Also a year out at this stage will only bring on the younger guys a bit and Nadal and Djokovic will be a year older in 2021, it will be slightly harder to win stuff.

Djokovic said after the AO that he intended to dedicate this year to getting the record for most weeks at No 1 and he would ease off on a full schedule thereafter. Will be (mildly) interesting to see how he approaches next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Djokovic stays undefeated for 2020 season, Idemo.

JK, I'm sad. I miss tennis. This sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭josip

camz09 wrote: »
    Djokovic stays undefeated for 2020 season, Idemo ("we go").
    No mozemo, moramo da cekamo kuci. ("we can't we have to stay at home")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Anyone else watching the Instagram chats with Nadal, Murray, Federer, Djokovic? They're very entertaining - nice to see how they interact now there's no tennis to watch.

Am really missing the tennis!

Anyone else watching the Instagram chats with Nadal, Murray, Federer, Djokovic? They're very entertaining - nice to see how they interact now there's no tennis to watch.

Am really missing the tennis!

yeah i watched the djokovic / murray one and a bit of the djpokovic/stan one, they are fairly engaging guys and fairly frank once you take them out of the post-match presser scenario.

Bit taken aback that Djokovic seems to be an anti-vaxxer tbh, I had thought he had moved on from that stuff.... topic for a different thread in any case.

Murray made the interesting point that he has ended up playing against the best players of all time on each of the three surfaces during his career...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

European Athletics Championships in Paris 26-30 August cancelled. I think Roland Garros going ahead is very optimistic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Aye, RG is not looking likely at all. Thats before you take into consideration the strange reschedule date and all the problems that would cause.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Surprised nobody mentioned Federer's proposal about the ATP and WTA merging as one.

https://twitter.com/rogerfederer/status/1252922285096423424?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1252922285096423424&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tennisnet.com%2Fen%2Fnews%2Froger-federer-and-rafael-nadal-want-to-tour-men-and-women-together

Nadal apparently agrees...

https://twitter.com/RafaelNadal/status/1252957445342846978?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1252957445342846978&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tennisnet.com%2Fen%2Fnews%2Froger-federer-and-rafael-nadal-want-to-tour-men-and-women-together

... yet last year had a very different stance.

https://twitter.com/BellshawGeorge/status/1252994186267316229

A lot of people thought that Federer didn't just bring this up out of the blue, and was more than likely testing the waters a bit. Serena also tweeted this, but swiftly deleted it.

EWN5-ftWsAELUzk?format=png&name=small

More then likely all three were in on it to try and gauge the reaction.

Pospisil kinda blew their cover afterwards though:

https://twitter.com/VasekPospisil/status/1253013470015938563

Don't know how I'd feel about a combined tour, difficult to give an informed opinion when we've no idea what form it could take. I wonder what they have in mind, a completely combined tour? More combined tournaments? 50/50 precedence at grand slams? The women having to play best of 5 in some form?

I'd be cautiously in favour for the moment until we get more information. Knowing who the ATP have elected and re-elected to their player councils in the past, I'd be very wary of giving them any kind of a say in women's tennis.

It also makes me question whether they're trying to fix something that isn't broken. I know at the grand slams the ATP are often given precedence over the WTA, but this has to happen when the men play best of 5 and the women don't. At the combined tournaments though they women do often get given the late starts and less of the show courts.

Whatever the motivation is for whatever they're proposing it may become a necessity when the tours return. Both might not be in great shape and may need to work together to get back on track.

• Advertisement

Surprised nobody mentioned Federer's proposal about the ATP and WTA merging as one......

Obviously choreographed, Federer and Nadal are usually closely aligned and they are both recently back on the ATP players council.
    Federers management company - Team 8 - has male and female clients (inc. Coco Gauff, heir apparent to the WTA) so a bit of synergy may not be a bad thing from his point of view.

As a casual viewer I don't really see whats in it for the smaller party (WTA) unless they are promised a trailer of cash. They already have equal prize money and play most of the same tournaments at the same time so its difficult to see where a load of additional sponsorship might come from.

The constant shenanigins at the top of the ATP would concern me if I were the WTA also.

As noted, it may be that by the time everyone gets back on court in a serious way both tours will be seriously weakened and a bit of mutual propping up will be a matter of neccessity rather than choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

It's just woke nonsense and virtue signalling another way to say womens tennis is just as good as mens .... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.. we get it !!

anyway USO not looking likely either ...

https://sports.yahoo.com/impossible-play-under-u-opens-172413984.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Federer missing the rest of 2020 due to another knee arthroscopy. I presume he'll win the AO again next year now......:D

Federer missing the rest of 2020 due to another knee arthroscopy. I presume he'll win the AO again next year now......:D

"The rest of 2020" ... pity he'll miss a whole bunch of tournaments :rolleyes:

No tennis till AO2021 earliest and even that probably won't happen

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

"The rest of 2020" ... pity he'll miss a whole bunch of tournaments :rolleyes:

No tennis till AO2021 earliest and even that probably won't happen

AO21 may very well happen, but most likely behind closed doors. If all other major sports are back up and running, then there is a good chance tennis will also get the go-ahead.

mzungu wrote: »
    AO21 may very well happen, but most likely behind closed doors. If all other major sports are back up and running, then there is a good chance tennis will also get the go-ahead.

Players don't want it going ahead behind closed doors...

US Open announcement coming on Monday the 15th. Seems like they'll confirm what we've known all along and cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Grand slam tennis without fans is not grand slam tennis.

Some sports can take place without fans. I don't believe tennis is one of them.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Grand slam tennis without fans is not grand slam tennis.

Some sports can take place without fans. I don't believe tennis is one of them.

What's the solution though? Supposing a vaccine isn't rolled out until late 2021 or early 2022, what do they do? They'll have to get on with it.

US Open still going ahead, apparently.

It's been mad seeing tennis happening at the Adria Cup in the Balkans this week. Full crowds, ballkids, handshakes and no social distancing.

Meanwhile, here's Djokovic, Zverev and co. enjoying a night out
    https://twitter.com/NBASerbians/status/1272458960856068097

Apparently Djokovic had a word with the Coronavirus and it agreed to take a few days off in Serbia. Thanks Nole!

• Advertisement

Mayor of New York confirms US Open will be played in its original slot, will be interesting to see how this goes and who'll show up. Halep already said she won't be, and that she won't be playing anywhere outside Europe for the rest of the year.

Doubt we'll be seeing anyone from Australia either, given they'd have to quarantine for two full weeks when they come back. Although it could be worth the trip for someone like Ashleigh Barty who'd be a genuine contender. I imagine for a lot they'll choose between one of the US Open and the French.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭josip

What are the proposed dates for the US Open and revised French Open?

Sorry, did a google for my lazy question

French 20th Sep - 4 Oct
    US 24th Aug - 14 Sep

So would anyone who takes part in the US Open be ruled out of the French Open under current quarantine requirements?

Venus is 40 today! What an unbelievable career, I wonder how long more she'll keep going for.

Revised WTA calendar. Can't believe they're actually planning to go ahead with Wuhan :pac:

EauKGycWkAEly2j?format=jpg&name=medium

And the ATP.

2020-return-calendar-graphic-web.jpg

Note also that there's now an extra week between the US Open and the French, perhaps trying to entice more players to play both. Serena has confirmed today that she'll be playing the US Open, might be her best chance yet to finally get #24.

Grigor Dimitrov has tested positive for Covid-19. I have absolutely zero sympathy for him and everyone else who partook in this Adria Cup sham, cúnts every single one of them. Tournament has now been cancelled.

The Adria Cup was irresponsible from the get-go. I hope this is a wake up call for all involved to take things seriously from here on in. It puts not only the restart in jeopardy, but more importantly the public.

mzungu wrote: »
    Adria Cup was irresponsible. I hope this is a wake up call for all involved to take things seriously from here on in. It puts not only the restart in jeopardy, but more importantly the public.

The whole affair was ill judged but, in fairness, there is no lockdown in Serbia at present (all restrictions were lifted around 45 days ago which was handy as the elections they had over the weekend would have been constitutionally invalid if there had been anything 'unusual' happening in the 45 days beforehand).

The pubic in Serbia were nightclubing and galavanting anyway so not sure what a tennis tournament will add to the mix. I expect numbers to be going up there anyways.

I can't see how it puts the restart in jeopardy but it will certainly reinforce the need for a test 14-16 days before attending. It would be ironic if Djokovic, Thiem, Zverev etc. missed the upcoming slams due to this tour which was, I assume, well meaning but dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Borna Coric also tests positive for covid

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I’ve seen it mentioned that 2 coaches have tested positive too.

• Advertisement

I’ve seen it mentioned that 2 coaches have tested positive too.

https://twitter.com/tumcarayol/status/1274973813491535877

Djokovic, meanwhile...

https://twitter.com/tumcarayol/status/1274969936046239745

Where to even start?

Advertisement