Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ancestor Network

Options
  • 02-07-2020 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Can anyone advise if they have had dealings with www.ancestornetwork.ie?
    Someone from this business called to my mother's house a few days ago to inform her that her aunt had left a significant sum of money behind after she died and that Ancestor Network were assisting with apportioning it between family remaining.

To me this sounds too good to be true.............

The aunt is dead in the UK since 1980s and family had no contact with he for years before. My mother thinks this aunt only ever had menial jobs and its had to see how she could have substantial monies

Does the UK gov chase descendants? This business would not disclose the figure which adds to my suspicion of a scam.

Any help or information appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Having worked briefly for a company involved in this kind of work it actually doesn't sound like a scam to me.

The UK government don't chase up descendants so it's become a bit of a niche within the genealogy industry.

It seems to be the done thing not to disclose the sum until proper contact has been established.

Lastly, while I've had no dealings with Ancestor Network myself I'm quite sure they're a reputable company.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭LimerickGray

Thanks for your reply

If a business can chase me, then I'm going to chase the UK GOV myself instead - cut out the middle man. I've found the aunty on a UK GOV website of unclaimed inheritance so I'll do it myself

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are legit firms that do this. There are also total scammers. I have no idea which these are.

Don't, at any stage, give them any money up front for anything.

You could be surprised what someone who did relatively ordinary jobs could have potentially accumulated if those jobs had Defined Benefit pension schemes and they were careful with their cash. My great aunt had about 40k in a bank account when she died, and a fully owned house; paid for/saved from her pension from a job as a lift operator in a bank!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

If a business can chase me, then I'm going to chase the UK GOV myself instead - cut out the middle man. I've found the aunty on a UK GOV website of unclaimed inheritance so I'll do it myself

I think this is why firms are reluctant to say too much when first they make contact as they know some people will have the wherewithal to complete the search themselves.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I am familiar with Ancestor Network and they do probate work of this nature.

I consider them perfectly reputable.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement