Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to improve the HSE

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

the hse is clogged with middle managers all watching their little space like a savage and unwilling to relinquish one inch.

get rid of them.
    look at the mental health system and see how inefficient it is with people being given appointments to see obe inexperienced and uninterested 'team member' after another.
    appointments that can last a total of 5 minutes just to check 'all is well' and the next time theyre seen its a different person and so explanations have to be gone through again.
    its a useless top heavy plodding system that woukd need to suffocate itself to be gotten rid of.
    it will never change

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not sure what your point is here? If you are earning?

Yes when you are working. I think a nominal charge keeps the time wasters away. I have spent hours in A&E, once I had to sit on the ground while getting sick - there were no seats left. There was a gang of young lads waiting, it transpired they had been rear ended in an accident. They were boasting about how much they were going to win on compo and there appeared to be little wrong with them, although of course I could be completely wrong. Another time I spent a night in a sluice room on a ward.

Similarly, I wonder how effective the management of staff is. I had to attend a major hospital yesterday for a prescription (long story). I was waiting over 4 hours in a waiting room in a ward for the one piece of paper. I was in the room on my own and a staff member, nurse attendant, sat in a chair and proceeded to have a nap for about 40 minutes. Now maybe he was on a break, I still thought it was an inappropriate area to have a nap. I manage staff in my role and if one of them went awol for 40 minutes I'd be looking for them. I was going to take a photo as I was increasingly getting frustrated but I couldn't bring myself to do it, again I had to consider he may have been on his lunch.

I could write a book on the inefficiencies of the health system but then again the tragedy is that many of us could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

gctest50 wrote: »
    might want to check
    ##

13160 pension

420 electricity allowance

468 living alone

660 coastal island allowance

30 phone allowance

630 fuel allowance

160 tv licence

300 waste

€ 15828

per annum? Far easier for us to put it per month? And yes I am well acquainted with the figures .. rent allowance also and a travel pass. many of these are not cash in hand.

waste? a new one to me. NB the electricity allowance covers the standing charge and some units; it was drastically cut a while back

Oh and not everyone will qualify for every allowance of course . Only single folk living on qualifying islands eg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

salonfire wrote: »
    Then how are you feeding yourself, clothing yourself, getting about, using a mobile phone, using the internet, etc?

FGS, stop and think for a minute, there clearly are thousands of people not as privileged as you. But to answer your questions, 1. living with parents / friends / family, 2. ready to go €20 per month, no internet, using wifi in shops etc, can`t get around unless walking, getting a lift.

There is another life out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

the hse is clogged with middle managers all watching their little space like a savage and unwilling to relinquish one inch.

and not one of them with any clinical training and with the sole aim of discrediting any patient who dares to complain validly rather than take any blame that may result in legal action. slippery and no medical ethics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

irishgeo wrote:
    It's easy. GP surgery need to upgraded to deal with more tests etc that are currently done in the hospital. GP clinics should be a mini hospital in regards to tests anyway.
    What tests? GPs can't perform laboratory testing or radiographic imaging like xrays or CT scans. These services can only be performed at the hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

HSE urgently needs 24/7 use of diagnostic equipment, technicians on shift etc..

e.g a second cath lab is not needed in Waterford, just add staff and run the equipment longer

In the real world where major investments are made for equipment the idea is to maximise the running time so as to get value for money..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

mikep wrote: »
    HSE urgently needs 24/7 use of diagnostic equipment, technicians on shift etc..

e.g a second cath lab is not needed in Waterford, just add staff and run the equipment longer

What equipment, technicians do you mean? Employing more staff costs more money. There are staff shortages in many health care fields where there simply isn't enough graduates to fill positions.

What equipment, technicians do you mean? Employing more staff costs more money. There are staff shortages in many health care fields where there simply isn't enough graduates to fill positions.

Anywhere there is a deficiency identified there could be a targeted training programme put in place perhaps to allow those in other areas of the organisation to retrain..

From what I recall of when I took a look at the cath lab in waterford it seems to operate 9-5 which probably means that testing occurs from 10 - 3 only.
    Most other countries have a facility like this running into the evening at a minimum.

If I ran the HSE I'd have a retrain or redundancy program to boost skills where needed and eliminate the layers of admin..

As in if you don't accept to retrain..you are gone..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

One annoying thing I noticed when working for HSE is that everyone wants a paper trail to show that they got permission from above to do every action, so they can't be blamed.

This led to every email being printed off, in colour. So if two people exchanged 20 emails the entire chain of emails would be printed off each time a few email would come, and the previous emails would be shredded.

They had 3 printers and each printer would go through at least 2 cartridges of black ink per week, and the amount of Fcuking paper.

When you consider that this probably happens in every office the expense, needless expense, adds up.

Another thing I would do would be to put a clinic of GPs adjacent to every A+E operating 24/7 with screening upon arrival to A+E and if your issue is suitable for being dealt with in a GP setting there you go..
    Still charge the A+E fee thought to discourage those using A+E instead of GP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Making it a lot easier to access consultants. Pretty much every consultant works in a hospital and does public and private as it suits them.
    Have them to commit to either public care or private care in their own practice and cut the GP as the middle man out.

As an example: I do have ongoing problems that require gynaecological care. If it's urgent the GP has no choice but sending me into A&E because there's f all they can do about it.
    Public waiting list to see a gyn is a year long, the urgent one is 6 months. Truth is I need to be seen more than that and it can vary widely. Then it's impossible to get Ultrasound scans either which is pretty much the most essential piece of equipment for gyn issues.
    Where I grew up there are many gyn practices around, you call your gyn, they bring you in within 2 days if it's urgent, they can treat a lot there and then.
    I'm sick if being in pain, seeing a doctor without them even scanning or checking anything internally, throwing a sh*teload of pills at me that wreck me good and send me home.

Same applies to pretty much every consultant, it could be so much easier if consultants would be easier to access and able to treat more because they have access to equipment.
    For what I care they can even bring in a semi-private system where the government pays half of your fee of your private consultant.

It's frustrating to jump through hoops when you know the issue and just need to see the right person doing the right thing but there's literally no other option than shoving your GP 50 quid in the back for a referral (honestly I could call a consultant myself, thank you very much) or go to the A&E. It's so inefficient I don't even have words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

They need to sort out higher admin and management grades especially in non-hospital settings. A lot of them will be retiring, so let them and don't automatically promote or replace them, they should be consolidating and combining jobs for maximum efficiency and value for money. To meddle with current jobs will bring more hassle with the unions than its worth.

This is not to be confused with regular hospital admin. I don't think people realise how short staffed a lot of hospitals are from a clerical perspective..it's not just doctors and nurses that are in short supply. The Grade 3s and grade 4s at the bottom of the admin totem pole are absolutely slammed with workload, the demands of cross covering and people not being replaced etc. It might sound far less important than not enough nurses on a ward by comparison which of course it is but these are the people staffing A&E's, controlling and registering patients onto waiting lists and dealing with critical results and paperwork. Your operation can and will be cancelled if there arent enough staff to find your chart because the filing room is understaffed and overwhelmed and there are thousands of charts unsorted or misfiled. Understaffing increases risks to patients and causes delays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

one thing of note in the HSE that has to be tackled is the Deification of clinical consultants.

if I hear one more bucking consultant being asked how to tackle the ED problem or waiting list problem in Ireland I'll go mucking nuts.

Lets be clear, a huge issue with the waiting lists and ED's is a business process and utilization of resources problem.

When we had a huge backlog of people trying to get driving tests did we ask the driving instructors how to fix the issue ? No, we got a bunch of management consultants in and fixed the process and resourcing problem.

But, as with everything in the HSE, there is vested interests at play and a deference to the clinical consultants that mean they have WAY too much power in every aspect of this.

And having worked with many whe you couple it with them having the right amount of God complex to believe they can not only do their job, but do what ever piddly little task you are an "expert" at too, its a 1 way ticket to the mess we are in now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

if there arent enough staff to find your chart because the filing room is understaffed and overwhelmed and there are thousands of charts unsorted or misfiled. .......

Needs the computerised healthcare. It's just bulls!t rooting around with paper charts

Because super special snowflake ireland though implementation of same will cost more than all the other systems worldwide put together ( - see ppars )

Actual digital healthcare mind, not some paper chart scanned in and stored as a f***** .pdf

• Advertisement

RobAMerc wrote: »
    one thing of note in the HSE that has to be tackled is the Deification of clinical consultants.

if I hear one more bucking consultant being asked how to tackle the ED problem or waiting list problem in Ireland I'll go mucking nuts.

Lets be clear, a huge issue with the waiting lists and ED's is a business process and utilization of resources problem.

When we had a huge backlog of people trying to get driving tests did we ask the driving instructors how to fix the issue ? No, we got a bunch of management consultants in and fixed the process and resourcing problem.

But, as with everything in the HSE, there is vested interests at play and a deference to the clinical consultants that mean they have WAY too much power in every aspect of this.

And having worked with many whe you couple it with them having the right amount of God complex to believe they can not only do their job, but do what ever piddly little task you are an "expert" at too, its a 1 way ticket to the mess we are in now.

It was the intervention of private company that reduced the waiting time for driving tests.

Same should be done for Health

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

gctest50 wrote: »
    Needs the computerised healthcare. It's just bulls!t rooting around with paper charts

Because super special snowflake ireland though implementation of same will cost more than all the other systems worldwide put together ( - see ppars )

Actual digital healthcare mind, not some paper chart scanned in and stored as a f***** .pdf

100% it's such a waste of time and resources. St. James' has e-charts I'm not sure what other hospitals have but if they can do it everybody else has no excuse. It's in the pipeline in my hospital but yes I think it will be extremely expensive to do but hopefully it's done properly.

Advertisement