Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LGBT Student Accommodation

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

mbmbmb444 wrote: »
    Heck there is currently a post with over 100 thanks on a different Current Affairs thread which is making some fairly disparging coments towards pregnant trans men.

Arnold Schwarzenegger broke that glass ceiling decades ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Then isn’t it a bit of a song and a dance then?

You see its all about funding. This is obviously linked to get some extra funding for the project. When you look into these things you see massive money changing hands. I am working on a much smaller college project with a different University and it is staggering the amount of money changing hands with so little uptake from the student.

gmisk wrote: »
    No clearly not....we don't have frat houses in limerick.
    I was simply giving an example of something vaguely similar that happens all the time elsewhere

So there are no Opus Dei houses in Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,223 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

klaaaz wrote: »
    If some people stopped beating up LGBT people, there would be no need for a safe space for them in the first place.

Phew. At least not all of us have to stop beating them up. Lets have a draw and randomly select 1% of the population who have to stop beating up the oul' LGBT people for a year. The rest would then be free to go about their normal LGBT bate'in daily routines. After the year is up the 1% can go back to normal.

Like a reverse hunger games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Okay once again I am going to restate that this accomodation, as explained in the article you linked, is for members of the LGBTQ+ and allied community.

If you read the second paragraph of the article you linked you will find it says "The Irish Examiner is reporting that almost 200 students from more than 30 countries have applied to live in the accommodation, which has been designed specifially for students who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, intersex or ALLIED."

Allied person - is a heterosexual and/or cisgender person who supports equal civil rights, gender equality, and LGBT social movements, and challenges homophobia, biphobia, and transphobia. [Wikipaedia]

Now one might think most people are allies, however this is certainly not always the case. Heck there is currently a post with over 100 thanks on a different Current Affairs thread which is making some fairly disparging coments towards pregnant trans men.
    I am agreeing with you....I am not sure why you are jumping down my blooming throat! So maybe wind your neck in chill out and read my posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Allied person - is a heterosexual and/or cisgender person who supports equal civil rights, gender equality, and LGBT social movements, and challenges homophobia, biphobia, and transphobia. [Wikipaedia]

Now one might think most people are allies, however this is certainly not always the case. Heck there is currently a post with over 100 thanks on a different Current Affairs thread which is making some fairly disparging coments towards pregnant trans men.

and to be really PC, one can read more propaganda about these allies on UCD's webpage - https://www.ucd.ie/lgbt/lgbt-ally.html
    for whoever doesn't feel like opening this sh*t while in work, my summary is ... there are few types of allies described there, such as the "good ally"" and the "trans* ally":
    "In many ways being a trans* ally is more demanding than being an LGB ally. A trans* ally is an ally with some extra points to look out for which can be seen below..."

no other comment !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

mvl wrote: »
    and to be really PC, one can read more propaganda

Stopped reading at that point.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

nthclare wrote: »
    Ah this was bound to happen, the new trend in UL is to be the first to do everything...

They are not being even the slightest bit innovative though. They are just copying and pasting stuff from the U.S. that is irrellevant here. It's a long time since the place was just about learning - it is now a bastion of agendas.

You've heard of 'sanctuary cities' in the U.S. - oh well UL can do that too (no lies - check their link: https://www.ul.ie/courses/ul-university-sanctuary :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mbmbmb444

gmisk wrote: »
    I am agreeing with you....I am not sure why you are jumping down my blooming throat! So maybe wind your neck in chill out and read my posts.

Oh sorry, my bad, realised now you were responding to someone else.

topper75 wrote: »
    They are not being even the slightest bit innovative though. They are just copying and pasting stuff from the U.S. that is irrellevant here. It's a long time since the place was just about learning - it is now a bastion of agendas.

You've heard of 'sanctuary cities' in the U.S. - oh well UL can do that too (no lies - check their link: https://www.ul.ie/courses/ul-university-sanctuary :D)

Its like the monasteries all over again. That is progression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

mvl wrote: »
    and to be really PC, one can read more propaganda about these allies on UCD's webpage - https://www.ucd.ie/lgbt/lgbt-ally.html
    for whoever doesn't feel like opening this sh*t while in work, my summary is ... there are few types of allies described there, such as the "good ally"" and the "trans* ally":
    "In many ways being a trans* ally is more demanding than being an LGB ally. A trans* ally is an ally with some extra points to look out for which can be seen below..."

no other comment !

Getting to the point there where free conversation will be banned and people will only be allowed to communicate with approved slogans. Irish university's seem to be spiralling into the same braindead morass of makey uppy words and slogans as their US counterparts.

Advertisement