Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rider categories mtb v road for XC NPS series

Options
  • 23-05-2019 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi
    Anyone know how mtb categories in the NPS series compare to road categories? I presume S4 = A4 which is entry level and S1 = A1 at the top level but is S2=A2 and S3=A3?
    Last week in Davagh Forest juniors did 5 laps so I presume they raced with the S2's whereas on the road juniors race with A3's.
    Thanks
    EH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Not directly linked no.

S4 is meant for those who may not have raced XC before or just enjoy the experience and want to race for 1 hour.
    S3 is for those who may be train a once or twice a week, and want to race for about 75 minutes or so.
    S2 for those who have a good level of fitness and train 3 times a week, typically around a 90 mins race time.
    S1 is 5 laps so the most distance of all the categories, racers here would train 4 times a week, and would be the strongest of racers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

Strictly speaking it's expected lap times, in part of an effort to make racing more spectator friendly.

Elite should race for 80 to 100 minutes, then adjust number of laps for the lower cats to hit that time.

In reality.

S4 is anyone, usually 2 laps and full of bangers. I'd class it as A5 sport/A4.

Then S3 and S2 are various stages of fitness.

Advertisement