Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike advice

Options
  • 29-05-2019 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭

I have an "all mountain" full suspension rig for about the last ten years (2nd hand when I bought it - it's probably early 00s).
    It has served me well but I've started to notice some play in the headset, which no matter how hard I tighten it won't go away (does improve but is still there). The bike is so old at this stage that it finiancially may not make sense to get any repairs carried out and I'm guessing I'm looking to decide what to do next...
    How much have bikes come on since the early 00s?
    Is there any worth to these kind of bikes anymore?
    It's a Santa Cruz bullit with 150mm triple clamp forks and a fox rear shock. Has really heavy 26" DH wheels, triple chainring etc. Geometry is great for coming down and it will actually climb rocky stuff well but it's a total pig to pedal on anything uphill or even flat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Have bikes come along, fcuk yea, light years apart. I wouldn't be putting much time or money into such and old bike, it could be time to move on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Clean that up, hang it on the wall as a piece of art and go buy a new bike.

rizzodun wrote: »
    Clean that up, hang it on the wall as a piece of art and go buy a new bike.

It's that heavy I don't know if my walls could take it!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I have an "all mountain" full suspension rig for about the last ten years (2nd hand when I bought it - it's probably early 00s).
    It has served me well but I've started to notice some play in the headset, which no matter how hard I tighten it won't go away (does improve but is still there). The bike is so old at this stage that it finiancially may not make sense to get any repairs carried out and I'm guessing I'm looking to decide what to do next...
    How much have bikes come on since the early 00s?
    Is there any worth to these kind of bikes anymore?
    It's a Santa Cruz bullit with 150mm triple clamp forks and a fox rear shock. Has really heavy 26" DH wheels, triple chainring etc. Geometry is great for coming down and it will actually climb rocky stuff well but it's a total pig to pedal on anything uphill or even flat.

Move on. Don't waste money on it. Bikes have come on a lot since the early 00's - for example, 27.5 inch wheels, dropper posts, 4 pot brake calipers, gearing (single up front), geometry and suspension is far better than it was in general and so on. I like those Shimano DX pedals though! - used them for years with no issues. The fact that the fork has V Brake / cantilever mounts on them says it all.

• Advertisement

Would you all recommended starting afresh with a while new rig or would you salvage anything?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Would you all recommended starting afresh with a while new rig or would you salvage anything?

Salvage the pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Time to start fresh. You can pick up great deals second hand these days. If you've the space id still hold onto it for the odd spin down memory lane and remember how bad things were. Then jump on you're new bike and feel good again

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Fresh start is needed but those pedals might be alright if the bearings are smooth

If you are in the market to upgrade, post budget & type of riding you do and you might get some suggestions

steamsey wrote: »
    If you are in the market to upgrade, post budget & type of riding you do and you might get some suggestions

Having a look at the finances there, probably won't be in the market until about November and could afford about 2.5k. Hard to define type of riding, definitely not full on DH but I am accustomed to slack geometry and don't mind sacrificing climbing ability or pedalling efficiency for the experience coming back down. I do a fair bit of my riding in ticknock but do find the official trails quite sterile, they can be fun but you could nearly ride them all on a hardtail on your first time out!
    After having tried one of chain reaction's own brand full suspension e-bikes, I'm really thinking about pushing out the budget for one of those.
    The rental prices for them up north are very reasonable, almost wouldn't need to buy one but down here they're expensive to rent.
    I will hopefully have access to the bike to work scheme at that time too but not sure how work are for dealing with specific shops etc

• Advertisement

Simona1986 wrote:
    Having a look at the finances there, probably won't be in the market until about November and could afford about 2.5k. Hard to define type of riding, definitely not full on DH but I am accustomed to slack geometry and don't mind sacrificing climbing ability or pedalling efficiency for the experience coming back down. I do a fair bit of my riding in ticknock but do find the official trails quite sterile, they can be fun but you could nearly ride them all on a hardtail on your first time out! After having tried one of chain reaction's own brand full suspension e-bikes, I'm really thinking about pushing out the budget for one of those. The rental prices for them up north are very reasonable, almost wouldn't need to buy one but down here they're expensive to rent. I will hopefully have access to the bike to work scheme at that time too but not sure how work are for dealing with specific shops etc

That the Vitus? They're a lovely bike

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    That the Vitus? They're a lovely bike

Yeah, a mate rented one for a day in Rostrevor and I couldn't get over how good it was

Simona1986 wrote:
    Yeah, a mate rented one for a day in Rostrevor and I couldn't get over how good it was

Rented one a couple of years ago, great bike

I ended up getting a 2017 Vitus Sommet VR second hand. Great condition, had only been used a handful of times. Haven't been out for a proper spin on it yet but was out on the weekend on my old bike and lent the new one to a mate.

Going to transfer the pedals across as it came with flats.

Here it is with my old steed:
    499939.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Sweet ride, happy shredding brah!!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭covey123

Tasty looking bike! Actually love the look of the Bullit too! Probably not worth your while selling it for what you'd get for it, I'd hold onto it if I was you, older bikes can still be great craic,I have a Bottlerocket I don't think I'll ever get rid of as its great fun to ride,still very often my first choice if only going for a short spin

covey123 wrote: »
    Tasty looking bike! Actually love the look of the Bullit too! Probably not worth your while selling it for what you'd get for it, I'd hold onto it if I was you, older bikes can still be great craic,

Cheers, yeah I don't think I'd get any money for it. I gave it a thorough clean and going over on the weekend and there is a good bit of play at the rear pivot, probably needs new bushings. Has been relegated to the garage wall for the time being, if I get a bit of spare cash I'll put new tyres on it and see if I can get new bushings and it will do as a spare to lend to mates without bikes

Alkers wrote: »
    Cheers, yeah I don't think I'd get any money for it. I gave it a thorough clean and going over on the weekend and there is a good bit of play at the rear pivot, probably needs new bushings. Has been relegated to the garage wall for the time being, if I get a bit of spare cash I'll put new tyres on it and see if I can get new bushings and it will do as a spare to lend to mates without bikes

Clean it up, mount it over the fireplace.

Advertisement