Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pad Recommendations

Options
  • 09-05-2019 4:33pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looking for pad recommendations, starting out and loving it but broke and fell off last weekend, and the bruises and bruising!
    Anyone have any decently priced knee and elbow pad recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

nee wrote: »
    Looking for pad recommendations, starting out and loving it but broke and fell off last weekend, and the bruises and bruising!
    Anyone have any decently priced knee and elbow pad recommendations?

Do you want to go by lowest price or best? Also do you have a preference for soft or harder pads? Will you being doing mostly XC/Trail or DH/Enduro?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭prunudo

I use a pair of 661 knee pads, have had them years so not sure what modal they are but can't fault them. Don't use elbow pads, although I may get a long sleaved upper body protection in the future which would have them built in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I'm thinking soft pads, I've only started so not gonna be hammeing DH for a while (if ever!). I have some pretty good arm bruising so elbow and knee/shin pads look like a good idea right now.
    I'm broke, so my budget isn't great. I'm thinking about €35 for the elbow pads max, and as close to €50 as I can get for the knee/shin situations.

I'm thinking soft pads, I've only started so not gonna be hammeing DH for a while (if ever!). I have some pretty good arm bruising so elbow and knee/shin pads look like a good idea right now.
    I'm broke, so my budget isn't great. I'm thinking about €35 for the elbow pads max, and as close to €50 as I can get for the knee/shin situations.

Soft pads are good for wearing on longer spins, will stop cuts from rocks that may flip up, or if you have an off it will save you from bigger cuts...

Cheapest I could find; LINK and LINK

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Soft pads are good for wearing on longer spins, will stop cuts from rocks that may flip up, or if you have an off it will save you from bigger cuts...

Cheapest I could find; Elbows Knees

Great. Those links won't open for me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Before you buy any knee or elbow pads; check the sizing. Go onto the manufacturers website if you have to (for example , in the above-linked knee pads both size measurement links are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard as none of the measurements have thigh/calf measurements for knee pads). And once you've done all of that, go back and check it again whilst measuring yourself twice. Much like with cycling shoes, pad sizing ranges wildly from manufacturer to manufacturer and there is nothing worse than fighting your own gear whilst trying to cycle.

Great. Those links won't open for me :(

Try now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭Alkers

Lemming wrote:
    Before you buy any knee or elbow pads; check the sizing. Go onto the manufacturers website if you have to (for example , in the above-linked knee pads both size measurement links are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard as none of the measurements have thigh/calf measurements for knee pads). And once you've done all of that, go back and check it again whilst measuring yourself twice. Much like with cycling shoes, pad sizing ranges wildly from manufacturer to manufacturer and there is nothing worse than fighting your own gear whilst trying to cycle.

+1 and if they don't fit perfectly they can make pedalling a proper pain in the ass

Try now...

Thank you. I was looking at those elbow pads today :pac:

Noted re sizing, I'm going for lightweight ones cos I know they'll be a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Thank you. I was looking at those elbow pads today :pac:

Noted re sizing, I'm going for lightweight ones cos I know they'll be a pain in the ass.

Firstly yay to mountain biking!

Elbow pads tends to be annoying and uncomfortable. I always wear knee pads on MTB. Have a softer pair but wear my IXS ones more often - can remove the padding to wash the fabric.

• Advertisement

I'm going for lightweight ones cos I know they'll be a pain in the ass.

Yeap sure the light ones will stop abrasions and any cuts from being too bad, generally people go down on their side and put the arms out first, so soft pads will keep your skin intact on lower speed impacts..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

IXS Flow for me - ain;t cheap, but you get what you pay for!

Sizing is notoriously odd on knee pads, I reckon I tried half a dozen or so brands/sizes before settling on the IXS Flow

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Shotgun Sister

I use the Troy Lee ones and find them super comfy, particularly on long days in the saddle: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/troy-lee-designs-speed-knee-sleeve/rp-prod142805

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I use these and find decent and comfortable/breathable

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/ixs-flow-evo-knee-guard-2018/rp-prod167197

These are good if you have a lot of pedaling planned

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/g-form-pro-x-knee-2018/rp-prod171105

bought a pair of these sizing is very small - might be available very cheap if you're local

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/race-face-ambush-knee-d3o-guard-2017/rp-prod113076

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

If you want lightweight, perhaps look at G-form pads; the more lightweight (pardon the pun) knee pads can be had for €40 currently on CRC. The larger padded ones will cost you upwards of €70/80. Which brings me on to ...

[edit: iwillhtfu has already beaten me to the mention of g-form pads]
    Yeap sure the light ones will stop abrasions and any cuts from being too bad, generally people go down on their side and put the arms out first, so soft pads will keep your skin intact on lower speed impacts..

Generally if you are unlucky enough to go down on your elbow, the top half of your arm and the shoulder wont be far behind to take more of the impact as your body will already be rotating as you land. It's the knees that will slam & dig in when the bottom half of your body lands. With that in mind; I might consider forgoing elbow protection and putting the combined budget into the best knee pads that you can afford whilst meeting your requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭covey123

Have these...

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/troy-lee-designs-kgl-5450-knee-shin-guards/rp-prod59944

Picked them up for a better price,very comfortable, good protection too below the knee without being cumbersome

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm gonna pore over size charts now and see what fits.
    Good few votes for the ixs ones so I'll start there.
    In my first fall* I battered my forearm so I'm keen to add elbow pads until I know what I'm doing :o
    *you cannot take in the view mid descent I learned :pac:

IXS for me too - I'm a size large in those knee pads 🙠and a small in cycling clothes. Knee pads only with baggies!

nak wrote: »
    IXS for me too - I'm a size large in those knee pads 🙠and a small in cycling clothes. Knee pads only with baggies!

Oh I'm gonna be a holy show with knee pads+lycra.
    Probably outside the lycra.*

Stand well back :pac:

*I'm not against leg/ knee warmers over shorts. This travesty may well continue into this new discipline :D #noshame

If you're wearing knees and elbows, i'd go for these also, great for protecting the hips...

endura-mt500-protector-undershorts-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Bubble-Wrap-Kid.jpg

^^^^
    Perfect :D

Probably outside the lycra.*

Stand well back :pac:

*I'm not against leg/ knee warmers over shorts. This travesty may well continue into this new discipline :D #noshame

Was going to suggest joining you for a MTB spin, not so sure now.

nak wrote: »
    Was going to suggest joining you for a MTB spin, not so sure now.

I'll embarrass anyone, anywhere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭covey123

Probably outside the lycra.

You better delete that post quickly, pretty sure if you read through the forum rules that kind of talk can result in an immediate and lifetime ban

covey123 wrote: »
    You better delete that post quickly, pretty sure if you read through the forum rules that kind of talk can result in an immediate and lifetime ban

I have no shame :D

Advertisement