Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sir Peter O Sullivan RIP

Options
  • 29-07-2015 5:18pm

The voice of Racing has died today aged 97

RIP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Rest In Peace.
    He added a bit of class to the big races.
    And he did a lot for animal welfare.
    A good innings well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭shamdrog63

the end of an era..The voice that first attracted me to racing.A truly great man liked and respected everywhere.RIP Sir Peter.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭brassringclub

And the mare's beginning to get up!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Bangor Billy

Its hats off and a tremendous reception - you've never heard one like it at Liverpool.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

And the mare's beginning to get up!

• Advertisement

Didn,t know he was 1 of our own, born in Kenmare apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

Will never forget Northern Games win in The 1984 Daily Express Triumph Hurdle , had a huge e-w on a strong tip for Him @ 20-1 as a barely legal Punter , auld Peter doesnt mention Him once during the race until approaching the last which made for great excitement at the time !!
    https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCYQtwIwAWoVChMI8pmJi4aDxwIVQ5AsCh2adw_S&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dot5lAVCMsPY&ei=QjK6VfLwCsOgsgGa772QDQ&usg=AFQjCNHlA3dA1Fpte6qdCrGMmRr0Z565nw&bvm=bv.99028883,d.bGg

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

shamdrog63 wrote: »

Not so!
    The son of An English R.M, born in Healy Rae country!
    (Kilgarvan) left the area before the age of two.
    So connections to South Kerry are miniminal.
    Mistake on Wikipedia,(which seems to be where all media journalists seem to get their information)
    Moved back to Surrey,where his parents divorced, and was sent to boarding school in Zurich.
    So the fact he was born here (with his parentage) does not make him "one of our own)!

invicta wrote: »
    Not so!
    The son of An English R.M, born in Healy Rae country!
    (Kilgarvan) left the area before the age of two.
    So connections to South Kerry are miniminal.
    Mistake on Wikipedia,(which seems to be where all media journalists seem to get their information)
    Moved back to Surrey,where his parents divorced, and was sent to boarding school in Zurich.
    So the fact he was born here (with his parentage) does not make him "one of our own)!
    Our opinions differ in the "one of our own" qualification.I tend to lend that moniker to people I would LIKE to be Irish and as you confirmed he was actually born here which makes him more Irish than say Barack Obama or Michael Flatley or Tony Casscarino in my book but they,ve been feted as Irish but thanks for the clarification anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

The resident magistrate tenure was for 2 years,presumably to prevent them becoming too "friendly" with the "natives"
    Now I agree that Peter O Sullevan was a gentleman to his heels,but to call him 'Irish' is simelar to calling croquet,cricket and cucumber sandwiches Irish!

The people you mention are the decendants of the diaspora,and are proud to be called Irish,Peter O Sullevan never claimed to be!
    If the Irish Ambessador to (say) Kenya had a child born in Nairobi,would you call that child Kenyan?

• Advertisement

invicta wrote: »
    The regional magistrate tenure was for 2 years,presumably to prevent them becoming too "friendly" with the "natives"
    Now I agree that Peter O Sullevan was a gentleman to his heels,but to call him 'Irish' is simelar to calling croquet,cricket and cucumber sandwiches Irish!

The people you mention arms the decendants of the diaspora,and are proud to be called Irish,Peter O Sullevan never claimed to be!
    If the Irish Ambessador to (say) Kenya had a child born in Nairobi,would you call that child Kenyan?

If the Irish ambassador to Kenya had a child born in Kenya, would the Kenyans think it Kenyan?Do Kenyans regard Chris Froome as Kenyan.Technically the child would be entitled to Kenyan citizenship as would Sir Peter have been entitled to Irish citizenship, making him technically Irish.By the way former Irish international footballer Casscarino famously admitted that he hadn,t a drop of Irish in his bloodline having represented this country under the decendants rule.Anyway, I originally made a quick throwaway line not worthy of this debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

shamdrog63 wrote: »
    I read somewhere this week that he admitted in later life that he was born in Newcastle, Co Down. What a legend.
    Kenmare 4/6
    Newcastle 5/4
    Bar 10/1

Advertisement