Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any audio of Edward Carson on the net?

Options
  • 11-10-2010 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

Curious as to how Edward sounded. Given whats happened in recent history the idea of a Dub leading Ulster Unionists is somewhat surreal. Have a bizarre vision of Eamon Dunphy explaining to Bill and John that home rule is Rome rule.

Can only find documentaries and loyalist flutebands on youtube. any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I'll bet he sounded more like David Norris than Eamon Dunphy.

Just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

More than likely, but I remember reading an article where Kevin Myers decribed him as having a strong Dublin accent.

Be interesting to hear either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Carson may have altered his accent from time to time.

This has been suggested when he was the defence barrister acting for Queensbury against Oscar Wilde's charge of libel. Carson played up his "Irish" accent to appear to be more solid and grounded than the aesthete Wilde who kept insisting on making flippant answers to Carson's insistence that Queensbury's description of Wilde "posing as a somdomite [sic]"was correct.

More than likely, but I remember reading an article where Kevin Myers decribed him as having a strong Dublin accent.

Be interesting to hear either way.

What's a Dublin accent? The one where you go "Dine tine on the Dort from Beeterstain" or the League of Ireland accent made famous by the likes of Brian Kerr and Roddy Collins?

David Norris has a recognisably Irish accent. It may not be like anything heard on Fair City or The Sunday Game but it has all the soft Ts and sibilant consonant sounds for which we are famous.

I'll bet Carson sounded a little like that. But I'd love to hear proof of it. There must be some audio of him somewhere. Even Gladstone was recorded, so Carson should have something on vinyl. Or whatever they used back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Would be interested in this also, or anybody from around that era involved with irish politics. No chance there is a recording of Michael Collins out there no?

• Advertisement

Now that would be good! Did he sound like a Cork hurler, all whinges and self importance?

Or, given that he spent 10 years of his young life in London, was there a touch of the Del Boy in his speech?

I think we have a right to know....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I did once hear audio of Sir James Craig ( Lord Craigavon ) and like all later Prime Ministers of Northern Ireland like Brooke , O'Neill , Chichester-Clark , etc he spoke with a plummy English public school accent.
    You would never think any of those guys were from the island of Ireland.

Advertisement